Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '29 Model A Roadster. Figure it's about time I finally build one.

Dragonhawk1066

I can literally feel the pain of all that senseless work trying to heal the paint job. In the end, you seem to have found the out door of that horror house. The body looks very well now! Your color scheme looks very good and that blue/white interior hits it. I´ve had that rattle can lesson myself and have sworn not to use any DIY rattle cans any more, not even well known brands. It´s not just the quality of the pigments and solvents, it´s also about the nozzle being able to atomize the paint fine enough. My first choice is Tamiya.

I do wonder why you spray your parts on the tree. Yes, it is convenient, but it also means sanding "finished" parts and touching up with a brush, meaning spots that look different. You can place toothpicks in most parts with a hole in them and spray all around. No offense, just friendly advice.

Looking forward to see the final result. Good luck with your rod!🤙

7 hours ago, Andy Oldenburg said:

I can literally feel the pain of all that senseless work trying to heal the paint job. In the end, you seem to have found the out door of that horror house. The body looks very well now! Your color scheme looks very good and that blue/white interior hits it. I´ve had that rattle can lesson myself and have sworn not to use any DIY rattle cans any more, not even well known brands. It´s not just the quality of the pigments and solvents, it´s also about the nozzle being able to atomize the paint fine enough. My first choice is Tamiya.

I do wonder why you spray your parts on the tree. Yes, it is convenient, but it also means sanding "finished" parts and touching up with a brush, meaning spots that look different. You can place toothpicks in most parts with a hole in them and spray all around. No offense, just friendly advice.

Looking forward to see the final result. Good luck with your rod!🤙

Thanks, I think Tamiya is by far the best as well, unfortunately I didn't have the color I wanted on hand in their brand but did have the Dupli-color. As far as painting parts on the tree, most of the parts do get taken off for painting, but my working space is a bit cramped and it's just easier to paint the smaller parts, at least for me, while still on the tree. I'll take as many parts off as I can, as convenient for me, and spray them all around, but too many loose parts almost inevitably ends up with one or two missing as is usually my luck, lol. There's almost always some trimming to do anyways, so no big deal. 

It was time to paint the flames this morning, so I carefully applied the masks to the body and removed the inner portions, although that's kind of hard to see in the pics as the masks are blue against the blue car. I made sure everything was burnished down snug, although on each side's lower door hinge I should have cut around the hinge and applied the cut part in front of the hinge as it just wouldn't stay stuck to the body there. I also should have taken the time to cut around the rear wheel opening and re-apply it that way. Chalk those up to lessons learned for the next time.

Anyways, the first color sprayed was Createx Pearl Silver, then I sprayed on Anita's Galvanized Tin, and after some deliberation I lastly sprayed on Decoart Obsidian. Then came the moment of truth, the un-masking. That step was done very carefully, and was a success, as was the flame job itself. After a little touch-up, everything looks A-OK, at least to me, lol. It's not a perfect job, but I'm very pleased with the outcome for my first flame mask job. Next up is finishing it off with more Createx 4050 Clear.

IMG_2663.JPEG

IMG_2664.JPEG

IMG_2665.JPEG

IMG_2666.JPEG

IMG_2670.JPEG

IMG_2671.JPEG

IMG_2672.JPEG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ea0863 said:

The flames are very tastefully done. Yours is turning out to be one very classy chassis!

Thanks! I made a few mistakes, but nothing catastrophic, lol. I probably should have kept to a brighter blue, but I still really like it.

19 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Aww yeah!! Those came out AWESOME! 🔥 

Thanks Jim! I feel like I could have done better, but for my first try I'll take it! I learned so much and hopefully can take that knowledge into the next flame job and really knock it out.

• Like 1

I got some work done on the rest of the Revell '29 Model A Roadster while the clear cures. The engine is done and installed, I finished the front and rear suspensions, and I put on the wheels/tires. I had contemplated a set of Pegasus wheels for it (first 2 pics), but ultimately stuck with the kit rolling stock. Somehow, sanding the tire tread eluded my mind, and with the difficulty I had getting them on, they'll stay "showroom new", lol.

IMG_2683.JPEG

IMG_2684.JPEG

IMG_2692.JPEG

IMG_2693.JPEG

IMG_2694.JPEG

IMG_2695.JPEG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Calb56 said:

Clean. I kinda digged the Pegasus Wheels/tires but this is looking great. (Nothing wrong with "showroom new").

I actually would have used them, but I don't have any correct width pins or extra metal axles to cut down to use with them. Unfortunately it's also not in the budget to go get some aluminum or brass rod either. First chance I get though, I'm definitely going to pick some up, lol.

I applied the tiny decals onto the tiny gauge cluster and used the eyeball decal for the horn button. I also noticed that because I wired the distributor the firewall didn't sit quite right. I ended up grinding a little bit off to get a proper fit. The inside of the firewall looks kind of ugly now, but it won't be seen so no big deal to me. For a little side job for myself, I primed and painted some of my diabetic needle covers to look like decorative obstruction cones for a possible display idea. I should have been saving them over these past couple of years as I will be painting more in different colors, but I can save about 8 per month, so every month I will be painting some in a different color.

IMG_2696.JPEG

IMG_2697.jpeg

IMG_2699.JPEG

IMG_2698.JPEG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 3:33 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks, I think Tamiya is by far the best as well, unfortunately I didn't have the color I wanted on hand in their brand but did have the Dupli-color. As far as painting parts on the tree, most of the parts do get taken off for painting, but my working space is a bit cramped and it's just easier to paint the smaller parts, at least for me, while still on the tree. I'll take as many parts off as I can, as convenient for me, and spray them all around, but too many loose parts almost inevitably ends up with one or two missing as is usually my luck, lol. There's almost always some trimming to do anyways, so no big deal. 

I have started snipping all the little parts and most of the bigger ones if they are attached to the tree at a point where it will be visible then using small lengths of spare sprue glued to the back side where it's not going to be seen and then after all the painting and drying is done just snip it off the piece of sprue and it's all ready to get attached in its spot on the model.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I applied the tiny decals onto the tiny gauge cluster and used the eyeball decal for the horn button. I also noticed that because I wired the distributor the firewall didn't sit quite right. I ended up grinding a little bit off to get a proper fit. The inside of the firewall looks kind of ugly now, but it won't be seen so no big deal to me. For a little side job for myself, I primed and painted some of my diabetic needle covers to look like decorative obstruction cones for a possible display idea. I should have been saving them over these past couple of years as I will be painting more in different colors, but I can save about 8 per month, so every month I will be painting some in a different color.

IMG_2696.JPEG

IMG_2697.jpeg

IMG_2699.JPEG

IMG_2698.JPEG

Those look like they would make great side bells and axle housing for a quickchange rear axle assembly. Just a tiny bit of trimming to get the look just right and you're ready to roll.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, horsepower said:

Those look like they would make great side bells and axle housing for a quickchange rear axle assembly. Just a tiny bit of trimming to get the look just right and you're ready to roll.

Yeah, my mind's running on how I can use those kinds of things in a model car kind of way. I think they might be a little big even to use as a megaphone exhaust tip, but I think I might try. My goal for painting them different colors is to drill holes through them and run a chain, or cord to look like rope through them, to surround a car for a "car show" type of diorama.

• Like 1

I pulled out the micro mesh polishing pads and gave it a wet-sand today. I started with 6000, then 8000, and 12000, followed by Novus #2 polish and a coat of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. It's moving right along now and only needs a few finishing touches to complete.

IMG_2701.JPEG

IMG_2702.JPEG

IMG_2703.JPEG

• Like 5