Model Cars Magazine Forum

SALZ WAGEN: A heavily scratchbuilt Allison powered V12 Volks van for the salt flats

On 8/14/2023 at 10:21 AM, Lobo2me said:

My apologies for butting into your conversation, Ken and Claude. But thought you'd get a kick out of this mid-engine VW bus funny car. Like what was said, "the endless possibilities" of dreaming up creative engineering solutions and building "just realistic enough" fantasy dragsters, race cars, and sportscars got me hooked on modeling early on and kept things interesting. I enjoy the challenge of diving into the parts bin and coming up with enough fodder to build my next somewhat plausible creation. This happened when I put a chopped and sectioned 29-window body, reshaped, and relocated the wheel openings on a truncated top fuel chassis. All the best

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6047.JPG

Hi Steve!

Your drag bus is very impressive. I can see the details have been well tought of, like the lower side windows for the driver. Great!

CT

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Your drag bus is very impressive. I can see the details have been well tought of, like the lower side windows for the driver. Great!

CT

Thank you Claude. I would be curious if the eight skylight widows would have to be removed to keep the twin blowers from sucking the air out and turning the body into an empty sausage casing....hummmm?

On 9/19/2023 at 11:02 AM, Lobo2me said:

Thank you Claude. I would be curious if the eight skylight widows would have to be removed to keep the twin blowers from sucking the air out and turning the body into an empty sausage casing....hummmm?

Hi Steve!

I'm no expert, but I would try removing two glasses, one on each side, amidship, and the rear window, to balance input and output, taking into account the volume of CFM's the engine would suck in... Who knows? LOL

CT

9 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

I'm no expert, but I would try removing two glasses, one on each side, amidship, and the rear window, to balance input and output, taking into account the volume of CFM's the engine would suck in... Who knows? LOL

CT

Hi Claude;

You may be right....but until we can fire up those twin blowers we'll never know.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 3:29 PM, Roy L Frost III said:

to cool to say, somebody should build a real thing, and go set a record. Any car builders out there want a challenge ?

Hi Roy!

Thank you for the comments. To your point: the basic aerodynamics of the VW Van might give pause to many, even if my model tried to "streamline it" as much as possible. Who knows?

CT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...