Model Cars Magazine Forum

SALZ WAGEN: A heavily scratchbuilt Allison powered V12 Volks van for the salt flats

On 7/4/2023 at 12:33 PM, 89AKurt said:

That would take more balls than a bowling alley to drive!  Love the creativity.  I have an Allison Salt Flat project sitting on the shelf of doom, so I'm looking at your details for the engine.

Hi Kurt!

Thank you, and to your point, please note that I have no pretention as to be DRIVING this thing... Let's call George Poteet!

And please go ahead with your build: there can never be too many salt cars!

CT

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 7:34 AM, Lone Wolf said:

What everyone else said, times a dozen! Very cool outside the box - van thinking. It's good knowing I'm not crazy, that others, or you in this case, think much like I do. I've got the same van kit, in planning a mid-engine, funny car like drag racing machine. But, thanks to you, I now have some aerodynamic body modification ideas for it. To me, these wild, endless possibilities, are what I like the most about model building.

Hi Ken!

Happy if it is "fuel for your projects". I build 1/1 cars for customers, and you are right: styrene offers endless "affordable" possibilities! Model on.

CT

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Ken!

Happy if it is "fuel for your projects". I build 1/1 cars for customers, and you are right: styrene offers endless "affordable" possibilities! Model on.

CT

My apologies for butting into your conversation, Ken and Claude. But thought you'd get a kick out of this mid-engine VW bus funny car. Like what was said, "the endless possibilities" of dreaming up creative engineering solutions and building "just realistic enough" fantasy dragsters, race cars, and sportscars got me hooked on modeling early on and kept things interesting. I enjoy the challenge of diving into the parts bin and coming up with enough fodder to build my next somewhat plausible creation. This happened when I put a chopped and sectioned 29-window body, reshaped, and relocated the wheel openings on a truncated top fuel chassis. All the best

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6047.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 7:21 AM, Lobo2me said:

My apologies for butting into your conversation, Ken and Claude. But thought you'd get a kick out of this mid-engine VW bus funny car. Like what was said, "the endless possibilities" of dreaming up creative engineering solutions and building "just realistic enough" fantasy dragsters, race cars, and sportscars got me hooked on modeling early on and kept things interesting. I enjoy the challenge of diving into the parts bin and coming up with enough fodder to build my next somewhat plausible creation. This happened when I put a chopped and sectioned 29-window body, reshaped, and relocated the wheel openings on a truncated top fuel chassis. All the best

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6047.JPG

I misspoke...and gave it half-dozen more windows....but you know what I mean!