Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you sell parts on Shapeways, please start your own website.

So then your rant is mute. By the way, how much an hour are you paid to use that cad software? Is you time worthless? If files are free, find someone who will print them for you. If you created a file you'd have to have someone to print it. The sellers on Shapeways are much like you. They don't want to be involved with the printing aspect either. They offer files of parts that some people desire, so they put them on Shapeways as a means to make them available to the public. You don't want to be involved in the printing process, but others who feel the same should do it because you want to buy cheap parts. That says a lot about you.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

Texas 3D.  Don't take offence to this, but stop talking.

I am against Shapeways, and supporting businesses like you. Why do you keep arguing with me?

Yes, you take the time to design your parts. But if it takes 4 hours to design a part, you and I both know you can't charge that 4 hours to each and every part you sell. You have to divide it out. You have to be smart and spend time designing something that will sell over and over, so you can make that money back.

Then you have the cost of printing. Now this you can charge on each and every part, because a part costs what it costs and thats a fixed thing. But you can reduce cost by printing several things at the same time. For example, if it costs you $3 to make one of those $3 transmissions, you can reduce the cost by making several of them in the same amount of print time. The only extra cost is the resin.

I fully support what businesses like you do. You can justify your prices. $3 for a transmissione, $25 for an engine. It is all justified. That money actually buys me a part, or set of parts.

But if I go on Shapeways, I am paying someone that same $3 for a transmission, or $25 for an engine, that I would pay you. Only on Shapeways that price only bought the design. Then I have to pay Shapeways again to get it printed out. And I have to pay even more if I want it faster than a month.

So why on earth does anyone shop on Shapeways? They can buy the parts from someone like you for 1/3 or 1/4 the price.

This is why Shapeways is a rip off.

When you start a statement with don't take offense but you know that what you're saying but hey don't take offense to this but you have no idea what you're talking about I don't think you really fully understand CAD but but I mean don't take offense to it. Look I don't support the shapeways thing but I can charge for my file over and over and over again You see when you have an exclusive file you can put that premium on it and tell me that a lot of my files are not exclusive to me. So yeah I can continue to charge for my exclusive stuff over and over and over again and factoring in my time in there do you think Coke is only charging you for the sugar flavors and carbonation No they're charging you for what they made their formula if you will. You see most people here are against what you're saying because you're wrong but don't take offense to that.

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I am going to finish by saying I try to keep my prices reasonable and I am not this big of a Jerk, but you shouldn't go around telling people how to run the business.

Holy *bad word* dude.

I am not telling you how to run your business.

I am talking about how Shapeways is a rip off and we should all buy parts from people like you. But you continue to argue with me.  HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAA

And I really fully understand CAD.  I use it for a living.

Edited by ctruss53

2 hours ago, my66s55 said:

So then your rant is mute. By the way, how much an hour are you paid to use that cad software? Is you time worthless? If files are free, find someone who will print them for you. If you created a file you'd have to have someone to print it. The sellers on Shapeways are much like you. They don't want to be involved with the printing aspect either. They offer files of parts that some people desire, so they put them on Shapeways as a means to make them available to the public. You don't want to be involved in the printing process, but others who feel the same should do it because you want to buy cheap parts. That says a lot about you.

Moot, not mute.

And I never said files should be free. All I am saying is Shapeways sellers should not be asking as much for their files as 3D parts sellers are asking for their parts. Because then when you go through Shapeways you are paying way more.

But nobody seems to understand this, including the 3D printer guy.  I feel like I am trying to explain economics to gold fish.

Aaah Shapeways....fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on me....

So I got caught once but I ain't going for more.

I was stuck one not able to get Weber carbs from my preferred supplier (out of stock) and decided to get some Olsen designed parts and got directed to Shapeways for the purchase.

$8 CAD for a set of four in fine detail plastic, want ultra fine that's $12, smooth goes for $15 and "smoothest" for $20. Add about $4 for manufacturing speed (?), $1 for processing and $17 for the cheapest shipping option (13-25 days...) for a total of $42 CAD or $32 USD. Ouch!

I was stuck without parts to finish the project so I pulled the trigger...

And the quality for the best best best best option? Brittle, grainy... nowhere near a good part.

Calling it a ripoff is actually a very polite way of saying it.

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Aaah Shapeways....fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on me....

So I got caught once but I ain't going for more.

I was stuck one not able to get Weber carbs from my preferred supplier (out of stock) and decided to get some Olsen designed parts and got directed to Shapeways for the purchase.

$8 CAD for a set of four in fine detail plastic, want ultra fine that's $12, smooth goes for $15 and "smoothers" for $20. Add about $4 for manufacturing speed (?), $1 for processing and $17 for the cheapest shipping option (13-25 days...) for a total of $42 CAD or $32 USD. Ouch!

I was stuck without parts to finish the project so I pulled the trigger...

And the quality for the best best best best option? Brittle, grainy...BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

Calling it a ripoff is actually a very polite way of saying it.

Finally!!!!

I was starting to think I was the only one that could see the truth.

Edited by ctruss53

1 hour ago, ctruss53 said:

Finally!!!!

1 hour ago, ctruss53 said:

Finally!!!!

The above post has nothing to do with your original post. It is just another unsatisfied customer that could't wait for what they wanted to come into stock. That's on them. Your original post quote :

"Attention Shapeways sellers!

Please sell your parts somewhere else. Etsy, Ebay, or your own website.

Shapeways is a ripoff. Your part might only cost $8. But after Shapeways is through with me that part costs $22 or more.

You want people who use who have there files on Shapeways and like you, don't want to be involved in the printing process to stop using Shapeways and do what even you don't want to do. All so you can get cheaper parts. That's what your about. 

I refuse to buy on Shapeways.

Was to try to get people like yourself who are not interested interested in getting into the printing process to forget that and provide you with cheap parts.

If you don't want to support Shapeways, then don't buy from them. Some use them for the convenience, some use them because it is the only place to get the part they are looking for. Most people realize it is not the cheapest place to buy from.

If you want to support actual 3D modeling businesses, then buy from them, post about their awesome parts and service.

It is all about personal preference. Stop arguing when people do not agree with your way of thinking. State your case/reasoning and then let it be.

• Like 10

• Xingu locked this topic