Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fangio's Lancia D24

My mate showed me a 3D file site that was having a sale. Looking through it I found one of my favourite 50's sports cars, the Lancia D24.  I did the obvious thing and asked him to buy the file for me and print me one.

Here it is with the photo etched wires I have been sitting on waiting for an appropriate model, they're a tad too wide but the care factor is low!!

Anyway I shall be working on this while finishing the 'not an Iso A3/C' (actually it is) which is convenient as, while painting the red on the Iso I noticed a split in the filament in the rear guard so it will need a little work.

Tks for looking.

Dave B

IMG_20230721_123923617.jpg

IMG_20230721_123958457.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Nice interesting model project.

Incidentally. Who makes the Photo Etched Wire Wheels?

Hi Noel, the wires are made in Korea by KA Models.  They are beautiful, 5 layers of photo etch with machined aluminium hub and polished rim.

I bought mine from BNA Model World in Aus.

Dave B

Edited by Dave B

Still working on the rear guard of the Iso so I'm doing a bit more on the D24.  I decided I would redo the scoop on the drivers side guard so I have sanded the existing one off and made a buck out of icecream sticks, shaped it and vacformed it.  Two different sizes so tonight I'll have a play.

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_20230723_121927914.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Great subject! (I'm a Fangio fanlet)

I wonder if you wouldn't save yourself a ton of work by taking the model files, and have them printed in a liquid resin printer? The layers are much, much smaller and the prep will be much easier. 

Me too - 5 world championships is impressive but even more when you consider that he didn't start his Grand Prix / F1 career until he was as old as Lewis Hamilton is now. Imagine if he'd started ten or fifteen years earlier! 

I love this model subject and as you say if the wheels are a little wide, it's no big deal - if the 1:1 was racing in historics today it would probably have had a similar upgrade.

4 hours ago, DonW said:

Me too - 5 world championships is impressive but even more when you consider that he didn't start his Grand Prix / F1 career until he was as old as Lewis Hamilton is now. Imagine if he'd started ten or fifteen years earlier! 

I love this model subject and as you say if the wheels are a little wide, it's no big deal - if the 1:1 was racing in historics today it would probably have had a similar upgrade.

I had the once-in-a-lifetime pleasure of seeing Fangio drive his restored F1 car at Laguna Seca. They were doing parade laps, and each new lap was a little faster than the previous one. Eventually, the Mercedes film car spun out and Fangio could drive in a more <ahem> spirited manner. I find it interesting that the mid-fifties F1 car could outdrive a modern Mercedes. 

• Like 2

Michael, yes a lot of work but I enjoy it.

Dave, my mate also has a resin printer and we are looking at buying another higher resolution one. The resin does give you better details etc but he has yet to master it and I enjoy working in filament, it's a lot like styrene and my MEK works as a glue on it.

Dave B

• 5 weeks later...

IMG_20230825_115805605.thumb.jpg.ccd506d7e6100a3cae205f80339b7571.jpg700px-D24_museo.jpg.9a70568b5974630d32919c571f1dd69d.jpgOk, I've laid the 'fault' finding coat of white on but I'm now in a quandary.

I thought Fangio's Carrera panamerica D24 was maroon but the only period colour photo I could find shows it red.  I really wanted it maroon, does anyone out there have any information please.

Dave B

Interesting subject build taking shape here.

Being a Lancia made me think about the brand name not being sold in the UK for quite a number of yearx. One particular model of theirs got incredibly bad press as basically it had rust issues so bad that it was quoted in the motoring press as being like a vampire doused in holy water! Lancia I believe pulled out of UK sales because of the bar press it got.

Since then I am sure that Lancia have upped their game and quality is as good as any other car today. I read somewhere that it did make it to the UK under the guise of being a Chrysler Ypsolon small car. Only few seemed to be sold though. Maybe someone could verify this?

12 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Interesting subject build taking shape here.

Being a Lancia made me think about the brand name not being sold in the UK for quite a number of yearx. One particular model of theirs got incredibly bad press as basically it had rust issues so bad that it was quoted in the motoring press as being like a vampire doused in holy water! Lancia I believe pulled out of UK sales because of the bar press it got.

Since then I am sure that Lancia have upped their game and quality is as good as any other car today. I read somewhere that it did make it to the UK under the guise of being a Chrysler Ypsolon small car. Only few seemed to be sold though. Maybe someone could verify this?

As far as I know, Lancia has withdrawn everywhere and currently only sells the small Ypsilon in Italy. But still with some success.

However, Stellantis has plans to reactivate Lancia and place it internationally. Allegedly one is in the process of rebuilding a dealer network in Germany.