Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black Primer

Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500. It gets top reviews from just about everyone who tries it and it's specifically made for models, gundam etc. I.E. plastic. It's not as inexpensive as Rusto though. But it's lacquer not enamel. Dries in minutes.

That said, my personal choice in black is Stynylrez poly/acrylic black primer, but you airbrush that.

Edited by Dave G.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500.

I will second that suggestion.  This is the one I used exclusively for a black primer. Also grey and white and typically referred to as Mr Surfacer.

https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product2/category_33/249.html

Their range of primer products has a number which refers to it's coarseness or thickness, i.e. 500 is a thick primer for filling scratches and so on, then there is also 1000, 1200, and 1500; each one less coarse and thick. I use the Mahogany Surfacer 1000 as a starting point for painting rusty bits and pieces

many hobby stores carry the Mr Hobby GSI Creos paints.  If you local store does not have then also look to many stores catering to Gundam / Gunpla builders.

Also, Mr Hobby has a really nice clear gloss https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product2/category_11/272.html  among other choices.

Here is a link to their catalog: https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/common/header-utility-link/main/00/teaserItems1/0/linkList/00/link/Mr.Hobbyleaflet.pdf

cheers, Graham 

Mr surfacer 1500 black all day everyday. Nicest black primer I think u can get besides hobby titans black primer in a can. I think it rivals surfacer it’s that good. Italy product VS Japan product they’re both amazing. 

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 2

I've used Dupli-Color and Tamiya primer in the past with great results, but have switched over to Transtar primers. Lays down incredible and sands like butter. a 15 ounce can will last me numerous builds and with my shop discount it works out cheaper than Dupli-color for 3 more ounces of primer. You can get it on Amazon or your local automotive paint supplier. 

71rSBsBMyKS._AC_SL1300_.jpg

Without a shop discount and for Joe Average consumer, Duplicolor is still the better bang for the buck, at least at Amazon..

That said, as mentioned, I airbrush the Mr products or Stynylrez personally. To me there is a lot of waste in spray cans. With airbrushing, smaller quantities go further.

• Like 1

Maybe slightly off topic, but is there a difference in Mr Hobby primers? I see Mr surfacer, Mr finishing surfacer, and Mr finishing primer surfacer in the different numbers on eBay. I know what the numbers mean, just wondering about the various names.

On 7/29/2023 at 11:55 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

They have black sandable primer.

I use it for just about everything that requires a flat black, as well as for primer.

Steve

This is my go-to for black primer/flat black.

My only compaint is that in recent years it's been going on a bit watery, which frequently requires a second coat.

8 hours ago, Street Rod said:

Maybe slightly off topic, but is there a difference in Mr Hobby primers? I see Mr surfacer, Mr finishing surfacer, and Mr finishing primer surfacer in the different numbers on eBay. I know what the numbers mean, just wondering about the various names.

The Mr Primer surfacer is truly a primer and that's according to their website. But the Surfacers without 'primer" designation have plenty of Grip non the less. I personally use the Mr Primer Surfacer in gray. My black primer of choice is Stynylrez. Both of these I airbrush. I rarely use rattle cans on models anymore, even if I have rattle cans I generally decant them for airbrushing. The point being I buy these products in bottles.

OK, that said, some fill scratches, some meant for super smooth surfacing and primer/surfacer is pretty much self explanatory. To my Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 hits the middle mark of all this, comes out egg shell smooth with still some grip for the top coat. Great stuff but so is Stynylrez.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:47 PM, vincen47 said:

Once you go Mr Hobby Mr. Surfacer Black, you’ll never go back.

I have the gray and white, also a Tamiya I also like. I have to get a can of the black. I had been using Duplicolor DS104, ultra flat black. 

10 hours ago, Michael jones said:

Mr surfacer 1500 black is brilliant. The great thing about it is it can be used as a flat black/ semi gloss black as well. So will save you doing extra coats with less paint used and cheaper. 

Another satin black I like is VHT rollcage & chassis black. It dries quickly too and takes handling well.

10 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

This is my go-to for black primer/flat black.

My only compaint is that in recent years it's been going on a bit watery, which frequently requires a second coat.

That's true.

But then again, I almost never do anything with one coat, especially primer.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

18 hours ago, Street Rod said:

The numbers are grit size. 1500 being the smallest, and 500 being the biggest or thickest of them.  It’s a system you can use 500 for filling etc, and work you way up. If everything is good to go you can start out with 1500 the smoothest of them.