Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Corvette Z06 #614

Zoom Zoom

I've wanted to build this particular car ever since unlocking it in GT4, was contemplating making decals for it but thankfully the decals are available from VRM to do this car and several other vintage Corvettes. This is an almost-replica of the car Bob Bondurant raced in '63, and the restored car is currently owned and vintage raced by Edelbrock.

I started with the Revell snap '63 Split Window coupe. I used seats, side pipes, wheels/wheel backs and rear tires from an Owens Corning Corvette parts kit, roll bar from Revell Subaru WRX, parts box front tires, Shabo white letters, VRM decals. I made a Wink mirror for it. Hopefully next weekend I can find a red driver's side window net at the Birmingham show. I also need to add a column-mounted tach.

I carefully removed the wipers before painting. I should have paid more attention to photos, as the car doesn't have vent windows today. I painted the vent posts black to make them less noticeable as I wasn't going to cut them out from the painted body.

The decal sheet is incredibly nice, though it does have a few anomalies. The car as it runs today doesn't have hood vents, but they are so well done on the decal sheet I used them, also as I didn't want issues w/trying to sand those recessed areas smooth. The emblems are amazing, two layer deals where you apply the base colors and a second layer of chrome surround. For some reason the "Santa Barbara" is done in white instead of black, and there are some front fender decals that aren't included.

Paint is a decanted mixture of Tamiya gloss aluminum and light metallic blue.

This was a really fun build; very few hassles and only about 12 hours total building time.

IMG_5632-vi.jpg

IMG_5633-vi.jpg

IMG_5634-vi.jpg

IMG_5635-vi.jpg

IMG_5637-vi.jpg

IMG_5630-vi.jpg

Awesome job on the build.

At last year's NNL West, a gentleman had one built up, fully detailed and ended up winning the GPMA Award for best race car. Your car looks just as good. I think Greg took a couple of shots of it at the show.

Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic work Bob! Super clean.

I've got to get me some of that NATO black. I hear it works great as a interior/frame paint too.

Chris

Forgot to ask you, what race did you do to unlock the car? I don't think I have that one yet.

Edited by crispy

Fantastic work Bob! Super clean.

I've got to get me some of that NATO black. I hear it works great as a interior/frame paint too.

Chris

Forgot to ask you, what race did you do to unlock the car? I don't think I have that one yet.

Thanks!

I had no idea where I unlocked it (it was a long time ago)...googled..."Win Vette! Vette! Vette! series in the Chevrolet Showroom"

Awesome job on the build.

At last year's NNL West, a gentleman had one built up, fully detailed and ended up winning the GPMA Award for best race car. Your car looks just as good. I think Greg took a couple of shots of it at the show.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

I heard about that one this weekend from one of my friends (I finished the car during a modelpalooza w/a couple friends), he saw it last year at the NNL West, I'd love to see pics of the car, I don't remember seeing pictures of it. Maybe he can get some pics of it next Saturday when he's out there again.

Beautiful build, Bob. I recently picked up a '63 Z06 full detail transkit. Historic Racing Miiniatures (Harold Bradford) has a '63 Corvette Z06 Transkit which is based off the Revell '63 Fastback, which adds a full detail body with opening hood, and the parts to do either a replica stock or race car. It has an accurate 327/360 Fuel Injected engine, a detailed interior, Finned Aluminum wheels with 2 and 3 ear knockoffs, Steelies, a tank cover for the 36 gal tank. It is designed to be a transkit for the Revell '67 kit, using either the Vintage Racing Miniatures Corvette decals, or the Model Car Garage Photoetch Set. For the work it will save, it is worth every penny.