Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Chevy Del Ray

ModelcarJR

I bought the latest iteration of this kit the other day. I also have a California Wheels edition of this kit that is unsealed. So I thought it would be better to use it and stick the new one in the closet since it is still sealed. The only difference is that the new kit has a few more parts, notably, the stock wheels and tires, etc. 

I have built the California wheels version before and I have plenty of stock tires and wheels that I can use, if I should chose to do it. I may use the 20" wheels on this one. The last one I built was right about the same time as the Testors One Coat came out so I used Blazing Black and Diamond Dust for the tw o-tone exterior with a gray and black interior. It was box stock but was a hit at one contest where it took a 1st place in Street Machine.  So its time to get started! Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxNv4_xoyTeUiuzcd_bGA4tqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693363694

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyUzrYEYPUYptvjPFUcpW_i4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693363691

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyqNCyKQ_16auJfH0UQB2EgaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693363691

Edited by ModelcarJR
Copy text
  • Like 4

• ModelcarJR changed the title to 1956 Chevy Del Ray

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! 

I prepared the body including filling a small sink mark in the front right fender and removed the mold lines around the headlights and finally I also found one on the back of the trunk. I decided to paint this one Black and Crocus Yellow. But I don't have any Crocus Yellow. I remembered that I had an old bottle of Yellow Gold, a Dodge color from MCW. A few weeks ago I also picked up a bottle of nail lacquer that I had seen marked down when I bought my Q-tips at Sally's. It was a light green in color and I thought about using it as is, and still might but I thought I could mix it with the Yellow Gold and get a Crocus Yellow. So I painted the black first with Dupli-Color Universal Black and then painted the Crocus Yellow mixture with my air brush. I hadn't used it in two years or so and was concerned that it would even work. But I was pleasantly surprised that it worked like a charm and air brushing was just like riding a bike. You never forget. One coat of clear during each painting session and now I will rub out tomorrow and give the whole thing another coat of clear. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwQ5o1I5RKGkr2ZAhO1NgXy5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693522201

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz6tx7-ibFRON7Xf8z-lx0k5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693522200

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw_EFwrsUDrKK7sILz4qpZrVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693522196

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxLR8Aa-PmEyndJigiKlmTSqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693522195

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwiO_B359lGU1tb1A8rBduWldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693522193

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxZ1hM5UVO_eAfpj1uyJntmqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693522190

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw02BohzVAwl82G608Y1268ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693522190

• Like 4

Thanks, Carl, Greg, Bob, and David! David, that is regular old masking tape. I also use Tamiya tape close to edges to avoid paint bleeding but I use masking tape on wide areas. On primer I don't have any issues usually, but on gloss surfaces I use index cards secured by tape to avoid tape issues on the paint. 

Well, I got everything rubbed out this morning and decided to add another coat of clear. I knew I would have to rub it out again but it would give my a good shine. When I added the clear for some reason the left side really orange-peeled on me.  I guess I got too much on the left side but I normally give both sides, top and trunk two passes one forward and one back. Anyway the other side, top and trunk came out fine.  After it dried for a few hours I started sanding out the left side with 400 sandpaper, wet. Unfortunately, I rubbed through the paint. 

Not willing to give up on it, I thought I could paint the left side with the very little paint I had mixed up. I decided to use the cup that is with the air brush and the paint I had left barely was half of the cup. I managed to get it on the left side. I followed with two thin coats of clear for a spray can. Success! Tomorrow, I rub the entire body out once again, hopefully, for the last time. I also managed to tape off and paint two pieces of the interior. I had previously painted the inserts with the same yellow and now I just have to tape off and paint the black. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxCyTBP7EbwjMc1Kq2vBIEt4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693606910

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw7XtNyS2lKMgk8vYnFbgPPqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693606906

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFycq6y-zyYWocUyA7RlMIOZV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693606905

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFylWwoiGQlSbOFH_y6I3rDZ4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693606902

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwoesOSp2SjiALTDsEe4_ijrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693606902

Edited by ModelcarJR
grammar
  • Like 2

I finally got this paint job straightened out and have one side foiled! I'll finish the foil including the interior and then I'll be ready to roll on through the assembly. I probably won't wire the engine since if it is done right it will be hard to see anyway. I have Chevrolet PE scripts for the rear fender but that will be about it for additional detail other than what is in the box. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwk7aPR-CPXoL7yvurYCWL35cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693690395

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw8EKG-C2jZ6sxPZY2zShY1V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693690392

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz5KoweLZD4vAdP-_JHJ-3J5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1693690392

Edited by ModelcarJR
Copy text
  • Like 3

On 9/1/2023 at 3:16 PM, ewetwo said:

What kind of tape is that? Looks like masking tape. When I've used masking tape it either removes paint when I take it off or I leaves a smudge look in the paint.

David, I put masking tape on my shirt before putting it on the model. I use Tamiya on the edges so I don’t get bleed thru.  I use masking tape in large areas and I get some paper from a local body shop. They give me some goes a long way..

• Like 1

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! 

Before starting this build, I watched the HPIGuys video on the Model Roundup website. Some of the things they do, like using Rustoleum paint is a little surprising to me, but I did pick up a couple of things for this build. I assembled the front suspension before painting and painted the whole assembly and chassis at the same time. They also did this for the rear suspension and then cut the tailpipes at the loop under the axle and mounted the tailpipes in two pieces and the cut pipes met with a little glue under the axle so  that it wasn't visible. I didn't do that, but I did assemble the rear suspension on the chassis, gluing everything together, except for the spring mounts and shock mounts to the chassis. When the assembled rear suspension glue had dried, I removed it and painted it as one piece. It fit into place beautifully once everything was painted and the tailpipes were in place. 

I also chose not to use the split spoke wheels that are in the kit and found some suitable replacements in the parts box. Looks like they have a Pontiac logo in the centers so i guess they came from a Pontiac kit. I would prefer a rounded spoke, but this is as close I could find in the parts box. I gave the chrome wheels a coat of Dullcote and then brushed with some blackwash when dry to get the aluminum look.  So after having to adapt these wheel hubs to the lowered alternate chassis suspensions, I got the chassis together. I also ran into another problem of my own making in getting the interior into the body and body on the frame. While gluing the interior into the body, My glue stem fell out of my superglue and right onto the rear glass. In my panic I tried to wipe it off but that just created a bigger mess. Instead of sanding for hours to try to get the clear plastic repaired, I found another back glass in my clear parts box and used it although it didn't fit perfectly and I used some black paint to emulate the rubber around the glass and fill the slight gap at the top of the window. Once everything is together it is barely noticeable. So now its on wheels!  Here's a few photos. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyiKvV2VJigwIbj6fUGimwPaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1694124009

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzT0J0kB3JrJ3oAHLajl16k4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1694124012

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFysM6LN9erOHoIp_zfRvzinKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1694124011

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxgH-gIlc5dgno_Ln-GTtDs5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1694124006

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzk6iFyk_PNMSAQK0XWWFHwaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1694124007

• Like 1