Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Vid Link on using white glue?

JamesBC

Someone posted a link to a gentleman using what I took as white glue to temporary hold a kit parts together to check on fit ect ect.

I was wondering if you know what I am talking about could you post that link to me please. It just makes sense for me at skill lvl 1.5 to do that.

I tried the Titebond white glue I have but it just will not hold plastic together.

Thanks for your time and have a great day. 

2 hours ago, JamesBC said:

I tried the Titebond white glue I have but it just will not hold plastic together.

White glue in general has zero holding strength when it's wet.

It's not the mockup / test fit glue to use if you're in a hurry.

Rubber cement is a workable alternative, but I prefer tiny drops of liquid solvent cement.

It holds almost instantly, and the joints can be easily broken, dressed, and final-cemented when you're happy with everything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

White glue in general has zero holding strength when it's wet.

It's not the mockup / test fit glue to use if you're in a hurry.

Rubber cement is a workable alternative, but I prefer tiny drops of liquid solvent cement.

It holds almost instantly, and the joints can be easily broken, dressed, and final-cemented when you're happy with everything.

I agree.

using white glue for mock-up sounds like a time consuming, tedious operation.

I can’t imagine myself trying to test assemble an engine with it for example.

Glue on the heads, wait 20 minutes.

Glue on the intake and carb, wait another 20 minutes.

And so on.

Another great alternative for mock-up for bare plastic is one of the UV light setting glues, like Laser Bond, or Bondic.

You can assemble an entire engine in minutes, and when it’s time to take it apart, just pull the parts apart and pick off any remaining glue with a finger nail.

No waiting or scrubbing required.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

If you're set on white glue, I'd personally go with Aleene's Tacky Glue instead of Elmer's - like the name suggests it's MUCH stickier than Elmer's, costs about the same and has the same wash-away-able properties as any other white glue so that you can easily remove it when you're doing mocking everything up. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I bought Aleene's Tacky Glue and trying it out. Since I am just back doing models was looking for something that would help me with test fitting things.

Not sure that was white glue in the vid I watched, since now that I have some Aleene's it looks like that might have been it rather than white glue.

again thanks, I will be asking for more help soon LOL

On 9/12/2023 at 1:00 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

My preference is for using tiny drops of liquid solvent cement as well. The Tamiya extra thin limonene cement seems to work well for this as it doesn't seem to make as strong a bond  https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87134limonene_cement/index.htm

Rubber cement works too and as an alternative which is not quite as strong you can also use liquid masking fluid of which there are numerous choices.

i.e. https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product3/category_39/211.html

cheers, Graham