Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone Installed Traction Bars on a Kit?

My Mach 1 has traction bars on the rear axle so naturally, I want to add them to the replicas I am building!ย  Question is, should I just glue them on the bottom of the leaf springs or should I go all out and use thin wire to mimic u-bolts?ย  I am curious to see some photos from you guys, if you don't mind sharing!ย  I looked at a lot of Under the Glass threads but I haven't noticed 1 set of slapper bars yet!

Here is my actual 1:1

2090294088_DSCN0131(Large)(Custom).JPG.69353bd2a39d2528c3a5ec86dec80f29.JPG

Here is the resin parts I am looking at for the builds...

1931102776_ScreenHunter_1395Sep_2915_54.jpg.aeb7332521365a6d37820a5f75872c08.jpg

An and all advice is greatly appreciated!! ๐Ÿ˜

Since you have these on your car and you're building a replica of your Mustang then you should add them. Sounds like you are familiar with how they are installed, and I would just replicate that to the best of your ability. Don't know if going full "U" bolt replica is needed unless you feel comfortable doing that. At the very least just glue them to the rear spring mounting pad. I think there are a set in the Revell '69 Nova SS kit. There may be others also. Looking at your picture these could be made out of some scrap spruce. I'm sure others will chime in withย some other suggestions.ย ย 

6 minutes ago, espo said:

Since you have these on your car and you're building a replica of your Mustang then you should add them. Sounds like you are familiar with how they are installed, and I would just replicate that to the best of your ability. Don't know if going full "U" bolt replica is needed unless you feel comfortable doing that. At the very least just glue them to the rear spring mounting pad. I think there are a set in the Revell '69 Nova SS kit. There may be others also. Looking at your picture these could be made out of some scrap spruce. I'm sure others will chime in withย some other suggestions.ย ย 

Thanks!ย  Yes, I am just looking for some ideas and inspiration!

I have elcheapo Summit bars on my old Ford, yellow of course. They work well and most of my wheel hop on the 1-2 shift is gone.

I saw the resin ones too and they look good. Make some u-bolts from .020" brass rod, or aluminum rod that Detail Master carries. And their #1 hex nuts and it will look real.

17 hours ago, RocketFoot said:

My Mach 1 has traction bars on the rear axle so naturally, I want to add them to the replicas I am building!ย  Question is, should I just glue them on the bottom of the leaf springs or should I go all out and use thin wire to mimic u-bolts?ย  I am curious to see some photos from you guys, if you don't mind sharing!ย  I looked at a lot of Under the Glass threads but I haven't noticed 1 set of slapper bars yet!

Here is the resin parts I am looking at for the builds...

ย 

An and all advice is greatly appreciated!! ๐Ÿ˜

Since itโ€™s a replica of your own vehicle, I think you would be happier with wire u-bolts. Beading wire in ย 0.015โ€ (or close) would be 3/8โ€ in 1/25 scale. The bars themselves would be quite easy to fab from a bit of evergreen rectangle and sheet stock. JMO.๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1