Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Superbird

Scale-Master

Resin kit by Starter in 1/43rd scale. 

Not a bad casting all things considered.  After cleaning up the flash I started scribing in the panel lines.

I'm not sure why there was a panel line molded into the hood just ahead of the hood pins, but I filled it.  (Still needs a little more attention.)

ec5BaU7.jpg

The wing uprights were warped, but some creative clamping and heat did a decent job of correcting that issue.  I added steel pins for strength and drilled the fenders with oversized holes to limit the friction.  I expect the wing to be very fragile.

k6iK65R.jpg

lZtCtnX.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scale-Master said:

Resin kit by Starter in 1/43rd scale. 

Not a bad casting all things considered.  After cleaning up the flash I started scribing in the panel lines.

I'm not sure why there was a panel line molded into the hood just ahead of the hood pins, but I filled it.  (Still needs a little more attention.)

ec5BaU7.jpg

The wing uprights were warped, but some creative clamping and heat did a decent job of correcting that issue.  I added steel pins for strength and drilled the fenders with oversized holes to limit the friction.  I expect the wing to be very fragile.

k6iK65R.jpg

lZtCtnX.jpg

Well, you need to rescribe that line across the hood as that was stock. The Charger was used for the Daytona, and everything was made just for that car. The Daytona nose and wing will not fit on a Superbird and they are not the same design. The Superbird was created by taking a 70 Road Runner from the firewall back. It used Dodge Cornet front fenders and had it's on unique nose made for that car. The 70 ROad Runner hood was used, but it was too short and a panel was welded onto the hood. That's your scribe line you filled in that you need to rescribe now to make it look corrrect. And the Superbirds aero numbers were not as good as the Charger numbers either. And still till this day the Charger and Superbird has the lowest drag co efficent numbers among all makes. And since Mopar still has a military manfucaturing facility to this day (M1 Abrahams) the Daytona and Superbird were designed by Red Stone Arsenal rocket engineers from Alabama. 

Thanks for the info.  I can see in some photos there is a faint seam there.  (I thought it was just a bend in the sheetmetal.)

I think filling it is better (especially in this scale) after studying the photos than leaving it as large as the other panel lines as they show up much more prominently. 

It will be white.

Edited by Scale-Master

I noticed the magenta color was not printed in the Road Runner bird decals so I printed a new set from the art I designed for the Revell/Monogram Superbird.  I also made the other badging and used the same license plate.

XsqnZJh.jpg

u0rP6h0.jpg

The decals are on the body and the trim & details are painted.  After they dry for a while I'll add the vinyl top texture and color.  I'll apply the black panels on the nose after the top is done.  I also removed the Pentastar from the driver's side.

Uzj53rg.jpg

• Like 2