Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lotus Europa

Scale-Master

Yes, another Lotus...

Nichimo 1/12 scale from the original 1976 issue.  I started this in 1994 with the intent of building it out of the box as nicely detailed as possible even though it was essentially a glorified motorized toy in many ways.

F7y4reE.jpg

I was happy with the progress until the body broke in two places during the near final phase of assembly.   

HiIEKOc.jpg

FznoxiB.jpg

I was using a urethane clear and at time it wasn't a material that responded well to blending and buffing.  (Now that type of repair with more modern materials is not an issue.) 

Frustrated, I put it in storage in 1995.  Apparently it was not a totally dust free environment and this is what it looked like after about 28 years of being parked in its own drawer in a closet. 

Being that this was done well before digital cameras and social media, I have no record of what was done other than my memory and I remember quite a bit of what I had done just by looking at it now. 

XLsla2f.jpg

My goal is to just clean it up, repair the cracks, blend the paint and clear and make a presentable model. 

Even back then the BMF under paint technique was a commonly used trick for some of us…

2Psdsb6.jpg

The black paint is Testors Classic Black enamel.  However, the clear is a product made by Mar-Hyde and was never intended to be color sanded or buffed out.  (It was for panel repair and stayed somewhat pliable when fully dry.)  Hopefully the quarter of a century of curing it has had will work in my favor.

cnhuipY.jpg

guyZfOn.jpg

AB8Si7i.jpg

Hand painted woodgrain dash, shifter ball and steering wheel…

07cO57x.jpg

diGf8B3.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Very interesting. For sure this at 1:12 will be a super detailed project like the Lola?

Not at all.  This was intended to be a purely box stock build from its inception.  That has not changed. 

This has about 6 months of simple work invested in it.  It shouldn't take more than one more to button it up.  (The Lola was 4 years of comprehensive design and fabrication for comparison.)

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

I have two of these in pieces and will be interested to see your take on it.  One kit is a glue bomb and will be used for parts and the other is fairly complete and was a gift from the late Dale King.  If you need anything LMK..yours free. 

Thank you Rich!  Mine appears to be complete.  I bagged everything before I put it away back then and even filed the instructions with it.  Surprisingly even the decals I didn't apply to it look useable.

The main body cleaned up surprisingly well too.  The rockers had something react to the paint were it was sitting all this time.  That was sanded out and the cracks around the gas caps were chiseled out & filled.  This is after the first sanding.  The undersides of the cracked areas were reinforced too.

xHkLu6B.jpg

GGH2v6q.jpg

vL0ZkwZ.jpg

• Like 1

A bit of a quirky looking car that Lotus. Nice short term restoration job Mark and I will be following the work.

The late Dale King was mentioned in an earlier post. I did not know that he was no longer with us.

I can remember seeing examples of his work in a car modelling book by Robert Schleicher that I no longer have. Seem to remember from the book his 1/12 Tamiya Porsche and a scratch built Fiat Spyder sports car that he made.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

A bit of a quirky looking car that Lotus. Nice short term restoration job Mark and I will be following the work.

The late Dale King was mentioned in an earlier post. I did not know that he was no longer with us.

I can remember seeing examples of his work in a car modelling book by Robert Schleicher that I no longer have. Seem to remember from the book his 1/12 Tamiya Porsche and a scratch built Fiat Spyder sports car that he made.

Yes, we lost Dale two years this coming January.  I was lucky to have known him since 1980.  Incredible model maker and artist.

The chassis cleaned up well; it wasn't even very dusty.  One inner fender well had to be reattached along with one wheel and the rear trunk bay. 

R9X9vKj.jpg

ac1Hfzo.jpg

1oQiwoj.jpg

8D7UVEj.jpg

It had/has working suspension and rack & pinion steering, but the plastic is so brittle I broke a part on the front when I lightly compressed the suspension for fun; the tie rod end was already broken on that side too so those parts are now fixed (in both meanings of the word).  The rear suspension still works, but I'm not going to test its limits.

ewcVgHj.jpg

op3dlYQ.jpg