Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big scale (1/16) '57 Corvette.....

JollySipper

Hey, fellow builders! Just got this in the mail Tuesday. I've attempted large scale builds before, but the subject matter that they were didn't inspire me enough to want to detail them as much as these large scale kits need. The cove side 'Vettes are definitely one of my favorite cars though, so maybe it will be easier to stay motivated on this one. Plans for the color scheme are black with silver coves, and a red interior....... So far I've only cleaned the parts with hot soapy water and glued the engine halves together. Nothing worthy of pics yet, but I did want to let y'all know what I'm working on. Here's the box.......

SDC10781.JPG.b203df2ccb8cf0cea1a2ca3adeaeda67.JPG

Anyway, that's what I've got going on at the bench for now!

Thanks for looking in, guys......

• Like 6

Working some on the engine! The leads are wires that are meant for the LEDs...... I represented boots by dipping the leads in enamel paint.

SDC10786.JPG.9168571bae753d7b5916c7eb30eb5d64.JPG

and I'm trying to add some detail to the FI unit....... Fuel lines (there's a couple more to add), and screen for the breather.....

SDC10787.JPG.9d8aaa94633d6f7370caa86e68bd09b7.JPG

There's not a distributor in the kit, just the metal shield that hides it. I'll just make the plug wires vanish behind it........

So, I guess we're under way! Thanks for looking in........

• Like 3

Trying to make a little progress on the interior..... The kit comes with a sheet of felt to simulate carpet. You have to cut out the patterns from the instruction booklet...... I didn't want to cut up the booklet, so I stuck it to the storm door and put some drawing paper over it. That way I could trace the patterns and not harm the instructions.......

SDC10805.JPG.fbc70abafacd188ff8b7e662f49c209a.JPG

Also taking care of the mold lines on the seats. I'll be using a vinyl dye for the major interior parts.

SDC10807.JPG.cc620a0133565f0b2ec892509bebb146.JPG

That's it for now!

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 11:17 PM, ea0863 said:

Totally enjoying your build TJ, thank you for posting. I've been giving some thought to these larger scales with the thought that they might be a little easier with my fumbly hands and tired eyes...

I have been buying a few big scale cars lately for the same reasons you mentioned.

I purchased most all on ebay, all were priced good or  won an auction.  Two 1/12 Cords one been in progress for 10+ years, another purchased for about 50 bucks a few months ago, couldn't pass it up.

2 '39 mercedes 500k majahari editions. gullwing mercedes, and a few more, all 1/16 scale, at 64 i like the larger scales, much easier to work with.

I have 1/25-1/24 scales also

looking at building 2 at a time, one big scale and one large scale 

retiring early next year,  I will have lots of time(God willing) to get quite a few done, I might even try doing a YouTube  channel.

• Like 1

It's very cool of you guys to follow along, Thank You! Been working on the dash some, and I've dyed the seats after priming them..... Still need to add the gauge clear part to the dash......

SDC10813.JPG.0197b5a19a5935f3872efb1e3d0134ef.JPG

SDC10810.JPG.a8a52d01f75d2723c36c8f836f10d20f.JPG

Tomorrow I should have finished engine pics for y'all........

Thanks again.............

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Street Rod said:

those wire wheels are going to look sweet on the car.

They just might be the redeeming factor of this build!  LoL

As promised, some finished engine pics! I got in a hurry and forgot the oil fill tube, need to add that........

SDC10818.JPG.7a6d0903ed0aec050da2afe0abbd03b4.JPG

SDC10820.JPG.45af68e74cb937f45a4ff0e721ec76d1.JPG

I guess it's on to suspension and chassis! I need to start prepping the body also........ Especially if I'm to paint this thing black, I need the prep work to be perfect!

Thanks for looking in guys, and for any comments..........

• Like 1