Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coo Coo Marlin #14 Monte Carlo

WillyBilly

So I am not sure what year the Coo Coo Marlin Monte Carlo model was released but it was my first model back in 1974. I never got to build it, as my brother asked my mom for it and she gave it to him. I was not happy, but it is what it is. So, this week I finally found one I was willing to pay for since they seem to fetch big bucks. I was complete minus the decals I would not have been able to use anyways. I ordered a new set of decals for it and can't wait to get started on it. 

coo coo.jpg

coo coo 1.jpg

coo coo 2.jpg

coo coo 3.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bbowser said:

Great story!  I'll follow along.

Thanks

I got it in primer last night, and discovered the instruction sheet was wrong. It points to the back hole to mate the front, and rear chassis together, but the Monte Carlo needs the middle hole to get the wheelbase right. I am not building Nascarlo here. LOL I guess MPC wanted one chassis for all their NASCAR series. 

primer.jpg

primer 1.jpg

• Like 1

For what I am doing, the decals will be fine. I am building it to be one of his early cars. It was dark red, and gold with no real shine to the paint. It may have turned out a little too dark, but I will get the gold on the rest of the body in a couple weeks, and see.

1973 Nash 420 Coo Coo Marlin.jpg

gettyimages-163091293-1024x1024.jpg

painted.jpg

painted 1.jpg

painted 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aw man! I had this kit back in the day. I’m from Nashville Tennessee and I used to go to Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway every Saturday to watch time trials and the races on Saturday night. Coo Coo was one of my favorites along with P. B. Crowell, And Marty Robbins raced there. My cousin that used to take me along with him was a friend of Howard Johnson, not the hotel owner, built a 1966 Chevelle modified late model and Bill Morton was his driver for car 101, then it went to 01. Lots of great childhood memories there and at Howard’s garage. I don’t know if anyone remembers that there used to be a Winston Cup race here called the Nashville 420 where all the big name drivers came to. Petty, Allison, Yarborough, Waltrip, you name ‘‘em from back in the day. Sorry, got kinda sidetracked. As I typed above, I built this kit, then built a hauler trailer, and built a 1969 GMC pickup all detailed out to go with the car. It looked awesome, if I do say so. Wish I had all those old models back. So many fun hours of building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shark said:

Not trying to tell you what to do, but I would try to find a sheet of Yesterday's Decals for that car. They may delete this, but put a request in the Trading Post sections here and on Randy Ayers forum.

This is what I have for my build, lots more than what comes in with the kit sheet. I have not been to Randy's site in a while. With hope the decals are still around. I would try to see if Mike's Decals possibly has them.

https://www.mikesdecals.com/products_new.php

22 hours ago, WillyBilly said:

For what I am doing, the decals will be fine. I am building it to be one of his early cars. It was dark red, and gold with no real shine to the paint. It may have turned out a little too dark, but I will get the gold on the rest of the body in a couple weeks, and see.

1973 Nash 420 Coo Coo Marlin.jpg

gettyimages-163091293-1024x1024.jpg

painted.jpg

painted 1.jpg

Some may know this or figured it out. The first pic in this list was taken from the south end garage area of Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway. I went there as a kid and when I stopped playing in the dirt, I ran a grand National Sportsman car at this speedway. I built a 4 cyl car for a friend of mine to race here on the inside 1/4 mile track too.

Coo Coo Marlin was the guy who ran the pre-Daytons 500 twin 100 mile races without a fuel stop and WON one of them. NASCAR and other big named teams had a collective canary over an independent driver pulling that off. This is why they went to 125 miles the next year.

I’m not sure if this belongs here, but here I go. It’s been a lot of years ago, but if I remember right, and if anybody here is from Nashville, he used to have a garage/race shop over off of 46th Avenue between Charlotte Pike and Alabama Avenue. The building is still there but it’s sat vacant for a lot of years now.

14 hours ago, WillyBilly said:

I need to slow down. I have already surpassed how far I got 50 years ago. Paint is done. Next will be decals, and maybe a clear after.

I love the stories of those who watched Clifton race.

painted one.jpg

Looks good.  When I ran dirt I used to run against Jay Bird Marlin. He's a cousin to Sterlin I think. Sterlin lives right down the road from a friend of mine. On occasion you can hear some loud engine fire up from my friends house.