Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show us your completed JOHAN kits!

Claude Thibodeau

Here's one I forgot since it's been in storage: a 1960 Chrysler New Yorker with its original box.

IMGP5728.thumb.JPG.30082fdd70069569ed2fd8e5d0a7627b.JPG

IMGP5733.JPG.e12741c2b3c82783875708364a6866ca.JPG

This is a one owner, low mileage car and I'm the original owner. It was purchased sometime in the 60's at Domino's Hobbies in Houma, Louisiana for the princely sum of $1.00. Those were the days of new annual kits every year and it was discounted because it wasn't the current year. There were plenty of other discounted JoHans also and as soon as I get my time machine out of the shop I'm going back! Somehow, it went started but unfinished for many years and I did it like this in the 1990's. Notice how the hubcaps stick out from the wheels. That's just the way they fit and I didn't want to modify them. For a time I had moon discs on it (also included in the kit) and they fit much better but then I decided to go back to the stock look.

• Like 2

Thanks to the OP for coming up with such a great thread idea, not to mention all who've participated.  Lotsa fantastic builds in this thread.  I know I'm not the only one who's been kicking himself for years for passing over so many of those kits when they were available, sometimes at extremely cheap prices.  

As for StevenGuthmiller, 

83zgse.jpg

When you've got me looking at late-'50s cars, you've obviously done an amazing job.  I'll always wonder if anyone associated with JoHan knew how well their kits could turn out in the hands of someone who could paint and detail them at this level.

• Haha 1

Hi Tim!

All great models, but the Fastback "phantom" caddy is very impressive.

Speaking of Cads, the 67/70 is my favorite Johan kit, but I'd also like to get my hands on the ultra-rare 71 Eldo (with the side grills and deeply sculpted trunk lid). The 71 vintage Toro i see once in a while, but the 71 Eldo: unobtainium so far...

CT

Claude, you are so, so on the money with your statement at the start of this thread.  

While I've used parts from many JoHan kits over the years, there are very few that I've actually built mostly or completely straight from the box.  Here are a few...

- 1961 Chrysler New Yorker annual kit: 

DSC 0390

- 1963 Chrysler 300 annual kit (restoration of a model previously built by someone else: DSC 0387

1963 Plymouth Fury (built from the 99 cents one version only annual kit):

DSC 1245

1970 Gene Snow Rambunctious Funny Car:

DSC 0519

1972 Mickey Thompson Funny Car: 

DSC 0618

1935 Mercedes 500K Coupe: 

DSC 0615

There may be one or two more, both these are the ones top of mind...TB 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Claude, you are so, so on the money with your statement at the start of this thread.  

While I've used parts from many JoHan kits over the years, there are very few that I've actually built mostly or completely straight from the box.  Here are a few...

- 1961 Chrysler New Yorker annual kit: 

DSC 0390

- 1963 Chrysler 300 annual kit (restoration of a model previously built by someone else: DSC 0387

1963 Plymouth Fury (built from the 99 cents one version only annual kit):

DSC 1245

1970 Gene Snow Rambunctious Funny Car:

DSC 0519

1972 Mickey Thompson Funny Car: 

DSC 0618

1935 Mercedes 500K Coupe: 

DSC 0615

There may be one or two more, both these are the ones top of mind...TB 

Hi Tim!

Great builds. I have this Mercedes in my stash, and can't still decide if I should built it stock, or make a high-end street rod, "à la Foose"... What do you think?

CT