Model Cars Magazine Forum

Friendly loveable Squirrels..

7 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

We live in a 55+ housing that has 4 triplexes. They posted a notice to stop feeding the squirrels. We never have, I still concider they rats with bushy tails.

The lady that lived next door woukd feed them all the time but she recently passed away.

The squirrels would sit on the porch of her emply apartment and jump up and hang on the screen looking in for her really tearing it up.

New lady has moved in and one squirrel would sit on the porch rail and bark at her every time she came out the door and she would shoo it away.

Well last week it was sitting on her rail screeching really loud and when she opened the door to shoo it away it jumped on her and bit her on the cheek and ear! Took me an hour to chase it out of her apartment while my wife treated her wounds.

She went to the doctors office abd got 4 stiches in her ear.

They just seem to get more destructive every year that goes by.

Rarely see red squirrels anymore and that used to be what most were around here.

After attacking someone…this is what they need.🤔

IMG_0274.webp

A couple of days ago while feeding the squirrels I had one misjudge the nut for my finger. As soon as he grabbed it he let lose and then grabbed the nut. Leaving no blood or even a mark. Lucky? Maybe.. I think it realized it wasn't a nut so it didn't follow through with biting harder to take it. 

As to the above story above.. I hope the lady faired well from the attack and was able to deter the problem.

We had squirrels at my other residents that would jump from the deck railing onto the kitchen window screen to alert me they were there to eat. I ended up removing the screen since we never open the window anyway. That stopped the jumping. Now that I'm not there 97% of the time and cannot feed them they stopped coming to eat. My wife is still there and has never been bothered by the squirrels coming back. The fact that I had a 60 plus foot silver maple tree removed from our backyard may play a role in the lack of squirrel activity too.

In the case of the lady attacked by the squirrel this is what happened when you start feeding them too much.  The lady before her established a dependency on food. That's why I don't feed them. They gather food for the winter months.  The squirrels schred a lot of pine cones to store food before winter. I can get a feel of when winter will start by this activity.

Mine are very used to seeing me outside. If I go out to shoot some primer, they stay on the deck rail and keep eating. I know where they live, nests in the trees. I see them coming in for breakfast.

Then there's the bluejays. I must have at least 15 of them. They sound the dinner-bell cry when I step outside. There is a couple of real fat ones. This is the bird that was all but eradicated by pesticides. By 1970, they were simply not around. It was around 1996 when I heard a familiar racket and saw an easy dozen of them outside in a tree. Then, not a one until I noticed them in large groups around 2016. My girlfriend got me feeding them every morning.

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

This works well too. Bye-bye:

byebyesquirrel.gif.dd057fdf4c3873f5bb89e061b5911903.gif

I bought something on this order to try and keep the Tree Rats out of the bird feeder. Sort of a Bunji Cord affair when the squirrel jumped on the feeder it would launch them in the air. Bad thing is they started thinking this was a Disneyland type squirrel ride.  

• Haha 2

I back up to the causeway that heads to the Great South Bay. There are 2 stop signs between me and the ocean and about 8 minutes. 

We get everything from fox, possums, raccoons, deer, rabbits and a few turtles now and then. Lots of shore birds too. We know the weather is turning snotty when I have seagulls up by me. The fox keep the rabbits in check. Raccoons and possums I see at night. If it snows, I see tracks on my driveway and deck.

I have to be careful about putting anything with food on it in the recycling can. Last summer I found a young raccoon in my big trash pail, no idea how he climbed in that high. He must have been inside in the heat all day. I tipped it over and he took off. 

• 3 months later...

Since I moved here in 1986, I have seen ONE chippie. The north shore they are all over. Maybe they don't cross the Expressway? 

I had 5 squirrels about a year ago. Then one got clipped by a car and another drowned in my pool. So 3 it was for a while. A few weeks ago I started seeing smaller ones... and mine are generally well fed. So I count... I had 6 of them out there.