Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any US sources for Gunner Sangyo enamel paints?

7 hours ago, peteski said:

You can edit your initial post and correct the subject line.  Just click on the "..." in upper right corner of the post and select EDIT.

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep it in mind for next time.  This inquiry doesn't seem to be going anywhere as far as getting helpful replies so I'll move on.  

You might want to search for online shops that sell to the Gundam building crowd. They tend to use paints other than what we're used to and often have Mr Color etc. Best if you search for say MR Color or Mr Aqueous rather than Gunze Sangyo as hardly anybody knows it by that name anymore.

I was hoping to find the Gunze stuff ‘cuz they make enamel paints, which I prefer over lacquers or acrylics.  I’m kinda familiar with the Mr Hobby and Mr Color paints, but I’m not sure which “Mr” designation they use for their enamels.  As some of you may have discovered, they’re hard to find here so I wonder if they can be obtained online from Japan.  

Edited by Monty

On 11/22/2023 at 12:46 PM, Monty said:

I was hoping to find the Gunze stuff ‘cuz they make enamel paints, which I prefer over lacquers or acrylics.  I’m kinda familiar with the Mr Hobby and Mr Color paints, but I’m not sure which “Mr” designation they use for their enamels.  As some of you may have discovered, they’re hard to find here so I wonder if they can be obtained online from Japan.  

I think i seen something enamel of there's before, but i don't remember though. I also can't find anything on there website related to it.

I do not see an enamel paint product listed :

https://www.mr-hobby.com/ja/product1.html

Maybe some of the weathering colors, or the markers are enamel based, but I do not recall ever hearing of a Mr. Hobby enamel line. I mean maybe in the past, but none at present. 

Are you possibly thinking of Tamiya Enamels? Tamiya has a line of enamel paint which is available everywhere but the United States. 

10 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

MR Hobby are aqueous paints and Mr Color are lacquer. I am not aware of any enamel paints made by Gunze-Sangyo.

I may have gotten that idea from this listing which I came across early in the search.  It wasn't the only one with the same info:

https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/en/Paint-Co/Paint/Gunze-Sangyo/White-Pearl-Perl-Weiss-10ml-Glaenzend

Read their description.  It specifically calls it an enamel.  Is it possible they got it wrong and I jumped all over it based on the prospect of it being an enamel?  Yes.  

Edited by Monty

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Those are probably enamels.

I wonder for what specific reason Monte is looking specifically for enamel paints?

In one of my early posts above I kind of explain that.  I'm just not a big fan of acrylics and don't have much experience with lacquers.  I've used enamels for almost all of my model building since I started the hobby, so suffice it to say it's a comfort zone thing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Monty said:

In one of my early posts above I kind of explain that.  I'm just not a big fan of acrylics and don't have much experience with lacquers.  I've used enamels for almost all of my model building since I started the hobby, so suffice it to say it's a comfort zone thing. 

Monty, If you're airbrushing enamels, I think you will find yourself just as comfortable with Tamiya LP Lacquers. Thin them with Mr Leveling thinner around  50/50. They go on beautifully, gloss paints retain full gloss when dry and dry time is minutes not days or weeks. Maybe give them a try and see for yourself. Try the gloss black on some old Model A fenders or something, amazing. My first test of the stuff was the black on 34 Ford pickup fenders. I shoot this stuff with a Paasche H, thinned like that I use around 18 psi.

You can also use the Tamiya LT to thin them, just after your last coat load whatever paint is left in your cup with thinner ( even medium dry hardware store LT will work)and blow that right over the finish before dry, it will totally level right out. Just with Mr Leveling thinner you don't need that. Anyway, the nice thing about these lacquers is it's about impossible to make them run. Also any lingering odor is gone within a half hour or so. Any over spray melts right into the previous coat too.

• Like 1

I believe, Modelbau-Koenig has it wrong. I checked 4 other dealers and all refer to it as acrylic lacquer. GSI-Creos themselves merely call it a "solvent-based acrylic".

But, if Mr Color is what you want, then buy it, no matter what the chemistry is. (I would advise using Mr Color thinner, though.)

• Like 1