Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fittings At Hobby Lobby

I'm heading to Hobby Lobby later and I'd like to pick up a tube of these beads for my 41 Chevy pickup build.  I remember reading somewhere that Hobby Lobby had something close to what I'm looking for.  Can someone that has bought these hexagon shaped beads at Hobby Lobby tell me what size I might be looks for?  Thanks fellows.

15102816-7608-4EAA-8C5C-2FCE5A4386B6.thumb.jpeg.d472ff182ed1ebd69ca028fe0dc7c281.jpeg.jpg

The smallest hex beads I have found are the #15 size.   They are 1.3 mm (or a little less that 1 1/2 inches in 1:1).   The next smallest is #10.   Those are 1.9 mm or almost 2 inches in 1:1 scale.    I found these at Fire Mountain beads on line.   I've never seen these sizes at Hobby Lobby, at least around here.

IMG_0191.thumb.JPG.3e27ad574b58f9ff4061d4d20a1bc2aa.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Just FYI: Many modelers have used short lengths of styrene hex stock to simulate fittings and bolt heads or nuts.

https://plastruct.myshopify.com/products/90873-mrx-40

That's how I make all of my fittings. I'm not sure I'd want to do it without a lathe, though. Not saying it can't be done, without, just that it makes it a ton easier!

The beads that look like metal fittings won't be at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  Michael's used to carry plastic #11 (11/0 in jewelry parlance) beads that had a .030" hole.  That particular brand seems to be unavailable now, though you might turn up something similar (or old stock) online.

The metallic looking beads I have found online (check eBay) are:

8/0; 1/10" (10 per inch for the jewelry folks), .050" hole.

10/0; 15 per inch, .036" hole which corresponds to Beadalon .036" braided wire.

11/0; 19 per inch, .030" hole which corresponds to Beadalon .030" braided wire.

15/0; 22 per inch, .024" hole which corresponds to Beadalon .024" braided wire.

The Beadalon brand braided wire is commonly available at craft stores, the beads will be found online.  Do a good search, as they are available in a variety of colors.  You'll find something you like that won't have to be painted, or that you can tint with colors to get an anodized look.

22 hours ago, Mark said:

The beads that look like metal fittings won't be at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  Michael's used to carry plastic #11 (11/0 in jewelry parlance) beads that had a .030" hole.  That particular brand seems to be unavailable now, though you might turn up something similar (or old stock) online.

The metallic looking beads I have found online (check eBay) are:

8/0; 1/10" (10 per inch for the jewelry folks), .050" hole.

10/0; 15 per inch, .036" hole which corresponds to Beadalon .036" braided wire.

11/0; 19 per inch, .030" hole which corresponds to Beadalon .030" braided wire.

15/0; 22 per inch, .024" hole which corresponds to Beadalon .024" braided wire.

The Beadalon brand braided wire is commonly available at craft stores, the beads will be found online.  Do a good search, as they are available in a variety of colors.  You'll find something you like that won't have to be painted, or that you can tint with colors to get an anodized look.

Thanks for all the info Mark.