Model Cars Magazine Forum

1910 horse and buggy picture

This was found in my mom's estate, been dealing with heirlooms and furniture recently.  I enjoy looking for the transportation pictures, not people I don't recognize posing all serious.  Written on the back: "Taken August 28, 1910 in front of Fingel residence ... Canton, IL" and another print "Dolly + the Fingel & Moore families."  These families were not related with our family, just that my grandmother remarried but they didn't have children.  Thought this was so cool, a family still using the "fossil-free" "carbon neutral" transportation, when they also had a car.
IMG_7578.thumb.jpeg.bb4b8347c1673387273fe1900962c3fe.jpeg
IMG_7579.thumb.jpeg.77c5a9ad770c54e4a7cd9914588795e2.jpeg

Written on the back: Margaret Fingel and her "Pa" in his ? Auto.  Oct. 16th '09.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Austin said:

... when horses died on duty they were left to rot where they had stood.  ...

My mom, a child in the late 1920s/early '30s, spoke more than once about her mom being technically a huge advocate of "People for the Ethical Treatment of Horses," where her mom was one who gladly advocated for the use of motorized vehicles because she saw way too many instances of horse owners - probably mostly delivery wagon guys in the big city - who were very abusive and/or careless with their horses.

• Like 1

One factor having to do with Horse drawn carriages of old that most of us today do not realize is what they left behind. In the late '60's I was living in San Bernardino Ca. At the time the city and county were replacing a few roadways around town that were in need of extensive repair. One of the 4 lane streets that had been used long before roadways were paved in anyway was to be replaced. The story went that the street started as a trail for horse drawn carriages and riders. Then in later years whoever was in charge of the trail started putting down crushed rock as cars started becoming the main user of the trail and it was becoming what would be called a street. Every few years and different and better roadway was just put down over the prior roadway since it had built up a good base for harder and more durable driving surfaces. The roadway was being widened and better gutters and additional contributory roadways added. The new design had the road removed back to the original bare earth of long before it was a roadway. This was during the long hot summers of the Inland Empire as they liked to call the area. This was originally a very agrarian area along with orchards. Everything was transported behind a team of Horses. Their leavings had been incapsulated and fermenting for at least a hundred years by this time. There was a stench that only someone who has lived and worked alongside draft animals could fully appreciate. This was a very long summer that I will never forget since I'm a "City Kid". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I love old photos, even better when they have any mode of transportation.  The picture of the car looks like it was set up with a tarp behind it. At the very top there seems to be a post for a building.  Pictures were not easy or cheap back in the day so it does not surprise me that it would be a still set in a controlled environment, for good results. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:49 PM, Russell C said:

My mom, a child in the late 1920s/early '30s, spoke more than once about her mom being technically a huge advocate of "People for the Ethical Treatment of Horses," where her mom was one who gladly advocated for the use of motorized vehicles because she saw way too many instances of horse owners - probably mostly delivery wagon guys in the big city - who were very abusive and/or careless with their horses.

Sometimes I have the felling that some people (often on FB) have a rosy picture of the horse-drawn era, particularly whenever gas prices spike.  If you dig enough through Google Books and such you can find editorials from the 19th century bemoaning the treatment of commercial horses and the state of the urban street.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for contributing to my topic!  I'm very blessed to have such historical pictures of old cars.  Unlike many people, who only took pictures of people, the car just happened to be in the area, my family always included how they got there.  I'm dumping all that I found this round, there are a bunch more cool pictures, I should create a book.

From the non-blood relative side (second marriages).  Don't know what the car is.  Check out the tire tracks, like a Lunar or Mars rover.
IMG_7588.thumb.jpeg.6fe3fae5024a85642c570ec215007168.jpeg
IMG_7589.thumb.jpeg.8af0977b6c62e8eea85706ffb5b7c671.jpeg

My mom's mom, with a family member.  Car?
IMG_7575.thumb.jpeg.deab2aaf4720e139c64ec289c6f195a3.jpeg

No idea who, or the car, a Pontiac?
IMG_7574.thumb.jpeg.a171ac765076abf7b6fc8f1cf010816a.jpeg

This is from when I was a kid living at Grand Canyon N. P. South Rim Village, dad was a Park Ranger.  The lower left picture is what I based my Mercedes 170V Roadster at Grand Canyon diorama on, first time I saw the other picture on the edge of the Rim, no doubt you would get arrested for parking there today.  The upper right, the Roadster when he brought it home.  I grew up with the sedan.  The International Harvester bus was his gunsmithing shop.  Lower right, the Auto Union DKW during "the big snow" that collapsed roofs in Prescott.
IMG_7572.thumb.jpeg.b479056e63a0a9c8a44bf749e1d26c48.jpeg

That is me.  I think it was close to the day dad sold the car.  The rodents were constantly attacking the cloth covering on the wiring, and he didn't redo the interior because of them.  He couldn't have a garage, government housing.  I read some letters when he was getting parts, it was before internet, use Air Mail for foreign correspondence, have the chrome plating shop forget the windshield posts were in the vat, drive to Tucson to get the parts from Germany and pay the Customs tax, buy a second 170 for a few parts and then sell back to the junkyard at a loss, pay long distance calls everywhere, must have been fun.  He never restored another car.  The man who bought the car lived in Chicago, dad packed the car into a Uhaul truck.  When the dude got to Colorado Springs, he could not resist driving it the rest of the way home.  Somewhere in the middle of the Great Plains, it blew a head gasket because the head bolts were not torqued correctly.  Had a heck of a time getting transport, and get himself home.  He wrote my dad a letter of his experience, I could imagine what my dad thought. 🤬
IMG_7577.thumb.jpeg.fdb6f1c31cf27d859062a832fb67499e.jpeg
IMG_7576.thumb.jpeg.9fa9d053105a7457f3b61c685db4f843.jpeg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed the Easter Egg find.

• Like 3