Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 BRBO GMC Topkick Fuel Oil Delivery

Calling it done.  Resin GMC Topkick off the auction site along with the 3D printed tank body.  Chassis from the Int 4300 except the rear suspension and axle from the Freightliner SD.  Sanders from CTM and storage box from AITM.  Roman Oil is a real company that has been in business for a few generations though I don't think they ever ran a Topkick.  Well, turns out they did run GMC's up to the late 90's when they switched to Petes.

P1030811.jpg

P1030813.jpg

P1030816.jpg

Edited by Warren D
replace photos
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Very sharp looking build. The top kick looks right at home as an oil hauler. Paint scheme, color and grill details look fantastic, excellent job on the mirrors, always a tough thing to fit on medium heavy trucks. The sand spreaders, storage box and rear bumper are nice extra touches.

Thanks, I really hated these mirrors.  I had the rest finished almost a week ago and just couldn't bring myself to do the mirrors.  I finally decided I wanted to get it finished so it took all day (had to do things in stages) but it got done.  The Topkick mirrors are certainly different.....

4 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

This is a real beauty! You did a much better job on the mirrors than I did on mine. I like the tanker bed! Excellent work!

Thanks, and thanks for your advice!  Some (maybe most) of these builds are like waffles, the first one is a throw away!  If I did one again, I know there are things I'd do differently. 

8 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Great looking build. I like the thoughtful details and add-ons like the sanders and the treatment of the grille. Stuff like properly painting the grille can be a real challenge on resin models like this. Nice work.

Thanks, the grille was actually easy, I shot the whole thing in black Pollyscale and then ran a Molotow pen on the raised portion.  The trick was even pressure and speed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trick my mixer said:

Looks good. I like the way you added sanders to it for the detail. Looks great.!

Thanks, I needed something to break up the open space!

6 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Nicely done, Warren!  Great color and some very nice details.  Clean 'n neat!!

Thanks, Charles!

4 hours ago, CoolFire said:

Well done, I like this one 🙂

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, Warren! How have you done the windscreen? I've made a mandrel to vacuform the windscreen on mine.

Interesting choise of chassis color & cab handel color.

Nice touch with sanders & tail bumper. I would work a little more with head lights.