Model Cars Magazine Forum

A parts box T

Bullybeef

While I was rummaging through the limited parts I have (most of my stuff is in storage) I came across an old monogram T chassis and it sparked something in the ole undula oblongata, I remember a T from Instagram. So then I rummaged some more and found a body. Well lo and behold I have the start of something! So I dug deeper and came up with a set of wheels n tyres( for my uk brethren) then came a parts pack engine that I had no idea I had. Then some more rummaging came through with suspension pieces and a partial interior to go with the lot of parts. 
So this will tide me over while I’m waiting for paint to cure on my current project. Im going to try to hold back and not over detail this as I want it to be fun and mainly quick. 
To the junkyard Jeeves we have scrounging to continue with…

And I’ll leave you with this pic of the assorted junk.

IMG_7111.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Another T Hot Rod? Make it so!

Ahead warp factor one. I’m on it cap’n. I’m not usually a T fan myself but it looks like it should be an easy( yeah right) build

9 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Some pretty good-looking junk there. Think you're on to something. Model on Bro!

I only keep the finest junk in my parts boxes sir, the rest of the chaff I leave for the peasants, the parts pack cad engine was a complete surprise to me.

5 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Go for it! Always good to see a hot rod. 

I do love a good hot rod.

4 hours ago, dragcarz said:

I like the parts assortment!

I wish I had the bountiful resources of some of the other builders here, but I’ll try to make do with this pile o junk.

1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

That looks like a promising start. A parts box build is a good way to get the ole cranium spinning....-RRR

Well I hope it lives up to its promises haha, and yes I agree so much more thought goes into these compared to a traditional open box build model type. 

• Like 1

Well the first order of business was to clean and de glue bombify the frame, luckily it’s a molded in black deal and it’s easier to hide the sins that will be left behind. I did also move the front crossmember back a little as I want it to be a shorter wheelbase and not have the overbite look of a suicide front that most of the T hotrods had.

IMG_7112.jpeg

• Like 1

Well bam we are off out of the gate and headed for the first mile marker on the salts today, sub assemblies are coming together fast. Frame is in its first coat of Tamiya lp40 metallic black, rear axle in Tamiya x11 chrome silver, front axle in og chrome, had to add some tube and pins to get the wheels mounted as it was a metal axle piece. Engine in its nice electric metallic blue. I decided the paint on the body is pretty good and I’m gonna leave it that way! I’ll add some paint detail later. Soon we will be  headed on to the next mile as paint dries. 

IMG_7122.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Sorry Bob, but it is indeed the monogram, I had a built bundle lot of monogram T’s and that’s the pile I pulled it from. 

Yup the black plastic fooled me. I didn't realize they did them in black plastic. 

I will go sit in the corner with my dunce cap on for ten minutes now.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

As far as the drive shaft how does the engine placement look with the body on it. I think that will determine what you need to modify.

She’s a little on the stick in the middle of nowhere right now Bob. 
This was supposed to be easy hahahahah

IMG_7131.jpeg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I will go sit in the corner with my dunce cap on for ten minutes now.

Nahhh man don’t do that! So the original sbc that came with the kit had a very long tail shaft so I could do a little surgery and make that fit.

orrrrr bin the slush box and put the ford 3 speed in🤔

IMG_7132.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, milo1303s said:

Totally need's the engine set back !!

small rant This is why this kit sux it's too long !!! Revell T buckets where so much shorter and looked just right my worthless 2 cents carry on !!

I get ya man, but this is all parts box junk so it’s not gonna just fit together like a kit. I’ll need to make some adjustments for sure 

8 minutes ago, milo1303s said:

Just too much airspace between the fire wall and engine a cut here and there and bam you'll be good !!!

parts box build are some of the best builds love your build carry on !!

Thanks for the support, I’ll be doing a little head scratching on this after supper tonight. If we must cut them cut we will. After all it’s just a pile of plastic at this point anyways hahahah