Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming MPC Reissues - '79 Nova and '73 Cougar

Justin Porter

On 12/18/2023 at 10:06 PM, disconovaman said:

Sorry, I can't help but flood the thread on the topic of Disco Novas but that's just me. This one is my current 76 nova. I snapped this pic over the summer when I stopped by the pizza place to pick up some late dinner. I thought the setting represented a period look.

20230520_203530.jpg

Awesome! And a relatively rare hatchback. 

• Like 6

On 12/20/2023 at 6:11 PM, disconovaman said:

I never knew there was an actual 75 grill on the AMT kit. I think we need that 75 grill casted. It's on my radar now. I  will be looking for one! Thanks for the info.

I believe the AMT Pro Stock kit was reissued after the 76/77 updates with the same box art- if you find a Pro Stock kit it may or may not have the '75 grille depending on release

1 hour ago, ChrisPflug said:

Pro Stock kit it may or may not have the '75 grille depending on release

Kinda how I thought it was too... and now that I've seen both, I want one with the 75 grill. Never was a fan of the 75 grill or the 76 Standard grill either. It would be awesome to see a modern tooling 76-77 SS or Rally... whenever I win the Big Lotto I will be financing a 1/25th scale 76 Nova SS...with maybe the option for Hatchback or trunk by using two separate parts. Gotta win first though... 😁

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, the Squad Rod Nova, in Civvie Clothing. Very Nice! I really like the colour choice on the box art. I'll have to get one, and an aftermarket resin grille to back date it.

Edited by stavanzer

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

So, the Squad Rod Nova, in Civvie Clothing. Very Nice! I really like the colour choice on the box art. I'll have to get one, and an aftermarket resin grille to back date it.

You're gonna need more then just a resin copy of the earlier grille. The area around the headlights is different so the earlier grille won't just drop in. Possibly the hood too, I'd have to check the ones I have to say for sure.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

You're gonna need more then just a resin copy of the earlier grille. The area around the headlights is different so the earlier grille won't just drop in. Possibly the hood too, I'd have to check the ones I have to say for sure.

Darn!

WEll, I'll see what the aftermarket comes up with.

• Like 1

Really like the new box art, but one thing that looks a bit "off" in the illustration to me is how close that front bumper is to the body and grill... the 1/1's front bumper extends forward quite a bit farther than it appears in this nicely done artwork.

On 1/21/2024 at 4:19 PM, '70 Grande said:

Really like the new box art, but one thing that looks a bit "off" in the illustration to me is how close that front bumper is to the body and grill... the 1/1's front bumper extends forward quite a bit farther than it appears in this nicely done artwork.

Looks fine to me. It's about what I remember for the one I owned. 

I found this pic that's taken at about the same angle, looks good to me.

BTW, ,  I should add, this IS NOT my old Nova. It was the same color and trim level but 4 inches lower all around sitting on Magnum 500s with white letter Bridgestones , ,  and much more rusty.😉

image.png.9fb339490077bd5214a50080464807f0.png

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 3:19 PM, Can-Con said:

Looks fine to me. It's about what I remember for the one I owned. 

I found this pic that's taken at about the same angle, looks good to me.

BTW, ,  I should add, this IS NOT my old Nova. It was the same color and trim level but 4 inches lower all around sitting on Magnum 500s with white letter Bridgestones , ,  and much more rusty.😉

image.png.9fb339490077bd5214a50080464807f0.png

Yours or not, it's a nice Nova... I had a '78 Nova Custom that exact color.

I've got a couple squad rods somewhere, but I will definitely be getting one or two of these.

Edited by KWT
  • Like 1

Being the Disco Nova Man I've been borderline extremist at times with this bodystyle. I've owned 19 of these cars myself. One of my pet peeves and done more often on custom painted 4th gens are stripes on the hood and trunk.

This bothers me because there's too much real-estate from the center to the bodyline.. the stripes are either to wide or out of place if they're any narrow.  I wasn't surprised to see hood stripes on the decal sheet. I'm sure I'll see many examples built with the stripes. So I better get used to it.

I would've liked to have seen Rally stripes on the sides as an option. I'm still happy with the overall design, and maybe I'll incorporate those stripes on the side of the car somehow...

Screenshot_20240204-084746_YouTube.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Being the Disco Nova Man I've been borderline extremist at times with this bodystyle. I've owned 19 of these cars myself. One of my pet peeves and done more often on custom painted 4th gens are stripes on the hood and trunk.

This bothers me because there's too much real-estate from the center to the bodyline.. the stripes are either to wide or out of place if they're any narrow.  I wasn't surprised to see hood stripes on the decal sheet. I'm sure I'll see many examples built with the stripes. So I better get used to it.

I would've liked to have seen Rally stripes on the sides as an option. I'm still happy with the overall design, and maybe I'll incorporate those stripes on the side of the car somehow...

Screenshot_20240204-084746_YouTube.jpg

I agree %100. Those stripes just look wrong on those later Novas. Definitely rather the side stripes.

BUT, pretty sure Keith Marks does do those. I don't see them listed on his Fotki site but I do recall asking about them in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Anthony, for the stripe info.

The few Novas of that vintage I remember were clapped out, faded Daily Drivers, with bare steel rims, torn upholstery, and chalky faded paint. I still see a couple of them here in Bakersfield, but our relentless sun, and high heat, just kill older cars, appearance wise.  Add in GM's So-So quality for Dash Materials, Seats and Paint, and most old GM cars look poorly after a very few years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 7:06 PM, Mark said:

Those later Novas have been gaining in popularity over the years.  The '75-'79 cars are essentially a second-generation Camaro under the skin ('68-'72 have the first-gen Camaro front subframe and suspension/steering layout).  The MPC kit is converted from the '75-'77 Pontiac Ventura and still has a Pontiac engine, but the body proportions have the AMT '76-'77 kit beat all hollow.

The Cougar kit can't be built 100% stock unless you swap in a correct engine or leave the hood closed.  Its engines, chassis, and wheel covers are carried over from the MPC '69 and '70 kits.  Unless the engine is a real focal point for you, just stick the hood shut.

Do you know if the scoop is incorporated into the hood on the Cougar or is there a flat hood option?

On 12/18/2023 at 2:02 PM, JS23U said:

I have stock 71-73 Cougar full wheel covers in my Shapeways shop. Look for basement resin. Delete my post if not allowed...

Cougar_XR7.jpg

Is there a chance you make full stock wheel covers for a 67 Mustang? I'm also looking for a 58 Ford conversion kit to use with the AMT 57.

3 minutes ago, Chris 422 said:

Do you know if the scoop is incorporated into the hood on the Cougar or is there a flat hood option?

Is there a chance you make full stock wheel covers for a 67 Mustang? I'm also looking for a 58 Ford conversion kit to use with the AMT 57.

Chris, a set of full wheel covers for a 67 Mustang is not out of the world. You mean this set? If I remember corretyl I've seen it as resin parts recently. Can't remember the caster/printer, though.

s-l1600.jpg.8050d70e8ce3763dbc5cf0ecb08b21db.jpg

As for the 58 Ford, this is too much effort for me, sorry. I haven't investigated yet, but from my head there would be several parts needed. Headlight pods, hood, hood center emblem, grille, bumpers, taillights. You would still have to convert other details on the body and the interior. Much work is involved.

1 hour ago, JS23U said:

Chris, a set of full wheel covers for a 67 Mustang is not out of the world. You mean this set? If I remember corretyl I've seen it as resin parts recently. Can't remember the caster/printer, though.

s-l1600.jpg.8050d70e8ce3763dbc5cf0ecb08b21db.jpg

As for the 58 Ford, this is too much effort for me, sorry. I haven't investigated yet, but from my head there would be several parts needed. Headlight pods, hood, hood center emblem, grille, bumpers, taillights. You would still have to convert other details on the body and the interior. Much work is involved.

Those are the ones. So far my searches have not turned any up. If you run across them again could you message me and let me know? As far as the 58, they're out there but makers make them and then they don't. I even had one once about 15 years ago. There's one on Ebay right now but it doesn't look so good in the pictures. Plus I've seen mixed reviews about the maker re/ quality. The quest continues. Thanks for your reply.

1 hour ago, Chris 422 said:

Those are the ones. So far my searches have not turned any up. If you run across them again could you message me and let me know? As far as the 58, they're out there but makers make them and then they don't. I even had one once about 15 years ago. There's one on Ebay right now but it doesn't look so good in the pictures. Plus I've seen mixed reviews about the maker re/ quality. The quest continues. Thanks for your reply.

PM sent