Model Cars Magazine Forum

Year end roundup: just the one for 2023 - "Snoopy steals the Red Baron"

Russell C

If only real life would not get so much in the way that it shoves hobby time almost completely aside. .....

So, all I could bash out this year was my entry in the GSL final contest in Salt Lake City to go in the Common Kit (Revell '29 roadster) Class. A couple of glue bomb salvages off eBay minimally provided the plane, helmet roof, fuel tank, and the two sets of exhaust headers I needed because I just could not resist turning the Revell V8 into a slant 7. The machine gun is a GasPatch Models 32nd scale 3D printed Spandau which I sprayed with a DutchBoy chrome can, left over for years in my dad's garage (use up the good stuff when you can!)  No easy way to realistically hollow out all those exhaust trumpet ends, so they are capped with a one-piece sheet for street legal use with a collector pipe underneath and out the back.

The excuse for the whole thing was that the little triplane in the original Tom Daniel Red Baron seemed to be included in the kit as an unrelated afterthought item, while here I incorporated it into this build to be a 1/3rd scale radio control plane which is hauled to the hobby airfield on a really snazzy show rod. Call it a "what if?" version where Tom Daniel and Monogram had the same idea, but used a '29 Ford instead of a T bucket.

Since the official GSL Contest entry photos are way better than my photography, that's what these are, except for my own inset closeup of the 2D Snoopy paper-printed pilot and the photo-reduced R/C airplane magazine on the back end of the flatbed.

GSLBaron1.jpg.d892b9d8014706dacf607d628da49af9.jpg

GSLBaron2.jpg.ce9d62c46ad5a879daf67611e56c3518.jpg

GSLBaron3.jpg.d8eedd3c0730dddd6ee9bdaac97fb10f.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks to all for the kind words! As with many models, it's not actually finished. I worked 24 hours straight before the flight up to Salt Lake City, and even then didn't have two last little details done, one was to machine the aluminum rod spike on the helmet into a more refined shape, and the other was to make a bungee cord to secure the triplane to the pedestal at the back. Took some stretched yellow sprue along with a bit of yellow electrical wire on the flight, but both didn't work out well in the hotel room, so I just left that off. So the goal is to find a helmet in better chrome shape (ignore the scratches on the passenger side), find some actual vintage decals for the helmet instead of the adhesive back paper printouts here, and make a bungee cord out of something that stays put.

GSLBaronbungee.jpg.0a39750f7bf29e966927f8ccca0b0362.jpg

Edited by Russell C
typo