Model Cars Magazine Forum

I call my GMC Crackerbox finished

Truck:
Strato-models: 

GMC Crackerbox kit, Detroit Diesel 6V71

CTM: 
Hendrikson RT suspension, Center Point Steering Spyder wheels, Generic US Style front axle, Salt spreader, Radiator screen, Generic Air Valves, Trailer couplings, various 0.8 mm Fittings, 

Modellers Resource: 
10mm frame rails

Auslowe:
45 mm diesel tank

amt:

Air condition unit, decals

3d Print:
crossmembers, air filter, drive  spyder wheels, brake drums for spyder wheels that fit CTM drive axle, drive axle tires, front springs

Unkown supplier
Road Ranger 13 speed transmission

Scratch build:
Radiator, rear mudflaps

Paint:
Zeropints, MIG Productions, Tamyia

For WIP pictures go here

GMC Crackerbox_1.jpg

GMC Crackerbox_7.jpg

GMC Crackerbox_2.jpg

GMC Crackerbox_3.jpg

GMC Crackerbox_4.jpg

GMC Crackerbox_6.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you
  • Like 3

Nicely weathered truck you got there!  It shows the truck has been providing its faithful service many many years.

That half hanging front license plate is a nice touch. :)

Thanks for sharing the work!

• Thanks 1

Stunning work here! Your modifications, detail, paint and weathering work are all exceptionally good. 

I have always wondered what motivated the truckers of the day to nickname these "Crackerboxes"... curious if it was just the way these cabovers felt like after logging a few hundred miles in one or if there's more to that nickname.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Stunning work here! Your modifications, detail, paint and weathering work are all exceptionally good. 

I have always wondered what motivated the truckers of the day to nickname these "Crackerboxes"... curious if it was just the way these cabovers felt like after logging a few hundred miles in one or if there's more to that nickname.

As war as I know they were called Crackerbox due to their squared-off styling and strange proportions.  

On 1/4/2024 at 5:37 AM, carsntrucks4you said:

As war as I know they were called Crackerbox due to their squared-off styling and strange proportions.  

It would have been called a biscuit tin in GB. 

There was a Foden we used to call a Mickey Mouse because it was shaped like his head. 

As ugly as the original truck is (to me), as excellent is your model, Michael: super nice build with perfect weathering  - it looks like the real deal, can easily be mistaken for a real truck with the right background (as your photos proof here) - awesome !