Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari 360 Modena

Nacho Z

On 2/8/2024 at 11:06 PM, ismaelg said:

Looking good!

Have you considered the old "rubbing it in your fingers" trick to give it some shine?

Thanks,
Ismael

I know of the trick but never even thought of it.  It is not too late to try that.  I’ll have to think about that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little behind on my updates on this build.  Here is a quick one.  The kit comes with precut window masks.  I have read that these are not always the best.  I have to agree.  Well, in fairness, some of the masks were OK and some were not.  If they are not going to fit perfectly they really aren't much use.  I placed them as best as I could and filled in where they didn't fit.  Another interesting thing is that although they provide masks for the inside of the windows, you have to do some masking on the outside of the windows too.

image.png.c0d66e22ab7330addfc050efdbe6494d.png

image.png.bd553d98a6dc82eecd24be33cd27fe97.png

image.png.18a938e824c85d02791e302fc65ee2e9.png

After the paint had cured it was time to clear.  I just used Tamiya TS-13 Clear right out of the can.  I've only been airbrushing for a couple of years and all of the time before that I used rattle cans.  I'm pretty good with them.  And it is right when you think that you are good at something that Murphey comes and bites you in the backside...lol.  Yup, I got a small run/sag in the paint.  This gets tricky because if you are able to sand out the build up of the run you will probably burn through the surrounding clear and possibly the paint.  I masked off the area around the run/sag and used 4000 grit to lightly work on that area.  It worked!

image.png.fdc7d636482f4cb94fc332a5f656138a.png

After that was done it was time to polish out the body.  I actually enjoy this process and do it all by hand, no power tools.  I use Micro Mesh cloths and Tamiya polishing compounds.

image.png.bde723aaf02a72414e525123dfcefab4.png

image.png.82a8697f290c7c1bd4f85efe2af0946d.png

image.png.e250d5e31b7bebdf6e436f8351f8d743.png

Thanks for looking!  As always, I appreciate your comments and feedback.

• Like 4

On 2/19/2024 at 9:07 PM, nickfzr61 said:

Excellent job. The polishing came out great. Definitely going to be a model to be proud of. 

Thanks, Nick!  You just can’t go wrong with a Tamiya kit!

On 2/20/2024 at 4:47 AM, beeRS said:

You polished that to perfection 👍🏼
This is one part of model building that I don’t particularly love. 

Thanks, Sonny!  I am probably one of the odd ones who find it almost relaxing to polish out my paint jobs.

On 2/20/2024 at 7:14 AM, 70 Sting said:

Nice recovery and beautiful finish. 

Thank you, Sting!

On 2/20/2024 at 9:58 PM, PhilipLeblanc said:

I actually love the color you picked. Honestly, I couldn't imagine a Ferrari in this color. Usually, you associate it with red, black, or maybe yellow colors. But this one gives a car a unique touch.

I appreciate it, Philip!  You probably saw it at the top of my thread, but the color is a Ferrari color for this car.  I love Gravity Colors (Spain) paint and they have Grigio Alloy in their line.  I painted my Fujimi F355 in a dark blue, (it can be found here on MCM).  I will eventually do a red Ferrari at some point in time.

Final update!  Look for the finished model in the Under Glass section in a little bit.

I have never liked masking.  It really was one of my least favorite things to do in the model building process.  What I hate more than masking is a crappy paint job, and by that, I mean paint bleed and overspray.  One thing that has helped with that is the use of an airbrush.  Anyhow, this car needed the windshield and side windows' trim painted as well as the rear wheel wells.  I just masked the whole body and did it all in one shot.  And I went ahead and painted the headliner and A & C pillars too.  Some have commented on "what a waste of Tamiya tape that is" (on a previous build), so now I make it a point to post pictures of the body completely covered in Tamiya tape.  And for the record, Tamiya tape is not all that expensive...lol.  I never worry about tape residue, paint bleed or overspray.

The first step of many!

image.png.67435440e34910f8fb54e87e188252fa.png

image.png.f607794fdb1f2f58d5dd76ae4e3a780d.png

image.png.e48a2986c1ee910497ef580f2b0921ba.png

image.png.71941a47ec7fe5e4c69bb2bc52a4c646.png

image.png.b66b5dfbf1ff008477daa03c03904939.png

As always, I appreciate you guys popping in and checking her out.  Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to leave a comment.  See you guys over in the Under Glass section!!

• Like 2

My o' my John, that color is gorgeous and I would never had considered that one but this is stunning.  Wonderful job polishing it too. I was fortunate to have owned a new one in yellow years ago.....this brings back so many great memories and I can't wait to see how she turns out when completed.   Good luck with her.  cheers, tim

• Like 1