Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prewired 8cyl distributor install

5 hours ago, CA Whitecloud said:

Next time I will plan installation out before I glue on headers.

image.thumb.jpeg.665f99aa34c97f6cd0c9b3c4c957c2b3.jpeg

I'm totally with you on that one, doesn't matter what distributor you use if the other end of the wires is hanging around all messy and everything.  Now, I have been known to drill the plug wire hole clear through the head into the block, then sorta push or pull the wire in or out to adjust it so it sits just right.  Lazy, maybe, easier by a mile, OH Yeah! LoL!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I do pretty much the same, but will often leave the excess inside the block.

Yep. Why not? If you slip the boots on, before inserting the wire, you can push it to the proper length, slide the boots down to the "plug", and cement it. Nobody but you, will ever know!😃

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skip said:

I'm totally with you on that one, doesn't matter what distributor you use if the other end of the wires is hanging around all messy and everything.  Now, I have been known to drill the plug wire hole clear through the head into the block, then sorta push or pull the wire in or out to adjust it so it sits just right.  Lazy, maybe, easier by a mile, OH Yeah! LoL!!

I defy anyone to come up with any logical reason not to! Hey, it's not lazy, it's smart!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Yep. Why not? If you slip the boots on, before inserting the wire, you can push it to the proper length, slide the boots down to the "plug", and cement it. Nobody but you, will ever know!😃

I drill a boot sized hole clear into the block. Then I shove a short boot into the block to the correct depth and fasten it with CA. Then I ream the boot if necessary to accept the plug wire that I can push in or out to adjust the length.

IMG_0404.jpeg

IMG_0405.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 10:34 PM, Straightliner59 said:

I defy anyone to come up with any logical reason not to! Hey, it's not lazy, it's smart!

This add-on was an afterthought. I had already assembled the engine. I was unable to get a clear angle with my pin vise to drill holes so I inserted the boots in first. When looking at web photos, I thought the plug wires went all the way behind the valve covers. Come to find out, not so. I manipulated them as much as possible but still too long. Oh well. I did not want to re-glue on this build.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CA Whitecloud said:

This add-on was an afterthought. I had already assembled the engine. I was unable to get a clear angle with my pin vise to drill holes so I inserted the boots in first. When looking at web photos, I thought the plug wires went all the way behind the valve covers. Come to find out, not so. I manipulated them as much as possible but still too long. Oh well. I did not want to re-glue on this build.

I understand. That's how we become better modelers. It can be as much about what not to do, as what to do. Our earlier projects are the mileposts of our progress!

• Like 1