Model Cars Magazine Forum

Embellished '67 GT-500 "Super Snake"

ReduitRetro

This build was completed about 2 years ago, but I never got around to uploading the pictures to the site. This is Agora Models rendition of DeAgostini Collections 1/8 scale Shelby Mustang. It indeed was nice to build, but in my opinion lacked detail in so many area's that could've easily been better represented in the kit, especially at the price point they were asking. So I set out to correct and embellish what I could to make the model better overall. Now, I know this particular model was of the actual vehicle that Carroll Shelby himself drove to test a new tire that was being offered by Goodyear at the time, at top speed right here in San Angelo, Texas back in '67 at the then new Goodyear Tire Testing facility, which is still in use today actually. I wanted the white over black interior for my car, so I used white automotive interior paint to replicate the look, I just thought it was visually more appealing. Next, the engine had basic kit detail at best, consisting of spark plug wiring, incorrect oil line routing, and one odd heater hose...nothing else! So I added spark plug boots to the wires, added wire holders to the tops of the valve covers, and used the correct 427 V8 firing order to attach them to the scratch built spark plugs. I added a fuel pump, fuel line and filter, as well as a power steering and engine oil dipsticks. Correctly ran the remote oil lines to the oil filter and cooler, and added the heater hoses. Also, ran battery cables, including the starter relay to engine starter, along with carb linkage and spring, and assorted vacuum lines. I replaced the kit supplied 'Kelsey Hayes" Shelby 10 spoke wheels and skinny tires, for the much better looking Shelby "Mag Stars" on wider Goodyear raised white letter performance tires to top off the look. Detail painting brought out the window and door seals, which really added realism to the model when displayed with doors open, as well as the black painted under hood and trunk surfaces. The kit also features an operating fold down rear seat, working head and tail lights, brake lights brighten when brake pedal is pushed, as well as an operating horn, and engine noises when accelerator pedal is pushed...a little corny to me, but oh well. Anyway, thanks for looking, and any comments would be greatly appreciated. Until next time, happy modelling!

2024-01-15 16.00.06.jpg

2024-01-15 16.30.48.jpg

2024-01-15 16.02.21.jpg

2024-01-15 15.58.53.jpg

2024-01-15 15.46.23.jpg

2024-01-15 15.48.18.jpg

2024-01-15 15.44.40.jpg

2024-01-15 15.38.31.jpg

• Like 3

Amazing work with all the changes you did to make it more realistic.  I guess the company sees these as not a typical model where the builder will just assemble what is shipped each month and would not notice the lack of parts we take for granted in large scale kits from Japan.  The larger the scale the more noticeable things we know should be there that are not included.  It seems like the marketing and overall look and ease of assembly was the priority and they did not seem to have any problem selling them.

• Like 1

Thanks vamach1 for your kind words, and you're absolutely correct in what you said. I have noticed that these large car subscription builds have definitely become more detailed right out of the box when compared to this one, so maybe someone somewhere is indeed listening. Case in point I'm currently building the 1/8 scale Fanhome Knight Rider, and it is far more detailed for sure! It's one of the few releases that now have operational interior lights when doors are opened, as well as back lit dash gauges and remote-controlled features so you don't have to remove the model from a display case to show them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Fantastic build. I really did a double take when I saw the first picture of it because I thought it was a picture of the real car, but when I saw the coins for scale I realized that it wasn't :). Great job adding all of the missing detail too - that engine bay looks great.