Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Mustang Mach 1 in stock now at...

I'm curious about what the decals include..only the minimal ones like the 007 movie car had, or also the full Mach 1 stripes (which are similar to the Boss 351 stripes) ? 

it's hard to find images of '71 Mach 1s without the hood and side stripes.  I did find this one, from an original brochure I think...I like the silver w/ red interior.

1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-brochure-picture-3.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I'm curious about what the decals include..only the minimal ones like the 007 movie car had, or also the full Mach 1 stripes (which are similar to the Boss 351 stripes) ? 

it's hard to find images of '71 Mach 1s without the hood and side stripes.  I did find this one, from an original brochure I think...I like the silver w/ red interior.

1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-brochure-picture-3.jpg

I wonder about this too, I'd love to get a full set of stripes without having to go to the aftermarket. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fat Brian said:

I wonder about this too, I'd love to get a full set of stripes without having to go to the aftermarket. 

Though the ones from the recent AMT (MPC) '71s would probably work.  The yellow box art '71 kit from a few years ago has the stripes IIRC.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Though the ones from the recent AMT (MPC) '71s would probably work.  The yellow box art '71 kit from a few years ago has the stripes IIRC.

It does, I managed to score a set of those decals from ebay recently. Still, I'd like to see Revells shot at them.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

It does, I managed to score a set of those decals from ebay recently. Still, I'd like to see Revells shot at them.

The Boss kit has the hockey stick stripes same as the Mach1 (in black) but not the Mach1 hood decal/template as the Bond car was a non ram-air car hence the lack of the hood twist locks and black or silver hood paint scheme.  Oddly enough all the 71-72 Mach1’s had the stripe decal on the back of the car in either black or silver.  The side stripes were optional.

IMG_1140.jpeg

Given Spotlight's recent mail order delivery service, would not be surprised if the kit shows up here in the next 24 hours.  Will do a quick look and try to answer some of these questions....TB 

Until then, here is the image of the decal sheet as shown on Spotlight's order page for the kit...\

image.png.358a4a23d84ca6b993093923d4c9c24e.png

Really nice that they added the decor group seat two tone inserts...that will save a lot of time vs. the masking I had to do on the Boss 351 kit....

Note that the standard Mach 1 lower blackout panels are included along with a decalized representation of the Mach1 lower bodyside chrome moldings that sit atop the blackout treatment.  I will probably want to replace those decalized moldings with 3D moldings from Evergreen strip on my build, though.  TB  

image.png.e598c8935cb0976ef105d609a0e69caf.png

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

The Boss kit has the hockey stick stripes same as the Mach1 (in black) but not the Mach1 hood decal/template as the Bond car was a non ram-air car hence the lack of the hood twist locks and black or silver hood paint scheme.  Oddly enough all the 71-72 Mach1’s had the stripe decal on the back of the car in either black or silver.  The side stripes were optional.

IMG_1140.jpeg

I want to build a car from my childhood. In the mid 80s there was a red with silver stripes Mach 1 whose owner worked at a McDonald's we went to a lot. I didn't know what kind of car it was at the time and it had seen better days but it had wide Cragars and slapper bars along with the faded red paint. I want to build it like it must have looked in it's heyday. Something probably like this. I know this is a 73, I honestly don't remember what year the actual car was.

Screenshot_20240123_152929_Chrome.jpg.46c35e31ade118a879f0f47d23f5d0a6.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

I want to build a car from my childhood. In the mid 80s there was a red with silver stripes Mach 1 whose owner worked at a McDonald's we went to a lot. I didn't know what kind of car it was at the time and it had seen better days but it had wide Cragars and slapper bars along with the faded red paint. I want to build it like it must have looked in it's heyday. Something probably like this. I know this is a 73, I honestly don't remember what year the actual car was.

Screenshot_20240123_152929_Chrome.jpg.46c35e31ade118a879f0f47d23f5d0a6.jpg

That is a 73 Mach1.  Keith Marks and Rays kit makes the silver decals for a 73 Mach1.

The Rays kits decals are shown.  The glare was making it tough to get a picture.

You can either use the MPC kit which has the 73 grille and bumper or combine those parts with the much superior Revell kit.

The Revell Boss 351 kit has a very nice Cleveland engine but for a stock 351 CJ you would have to source some stock 351C valve covers.

IMG_1142.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

I just picked up one of these in a trade, but haven't opened it yet.

The new Revell 007 kit?  It’s only been out a week or two.  The AMT rehashed Round2 kit has been out about a year.

2 hours ago, PintoKING said:

Isn't there another version that will have a "plain" hood, without the scoops, available one day? 

I thought there was an "Eleanor" version in the works, with the flat hood.

36 minutes ago, Repstock said:

I thought there was an "Eleanor" version in the works, with the flat hood.

Parts for such a version were shown somewhere a while back (flat hood and '73 grille & headlight surrounds).   We will see what comes... nothing officially announced. 

Got mine a couple of hours ago.  Molded in White.  Body color front bumper (chrome front bumper is also included although body color was standard on Mach 1).  Tires are tampo printed narrow whitewalls.  Engine certainly appears to be a 429 Cobra Jet (will compare engine parts tree to the Revell Boss 351 kit later but appears to be an entirely separate tree...the original Revell design brief and 1/1 scale research effort was targeting a 429 Cobra Jet Ram Air engine...).  Even though they appear to be plated on the box art and instruction sheet built model photography, the standard Mach 1 wheels are not plated but instructed to be painted silver.  My recollection is that the wheels and trim rings were a brushed polished finish on the 1/1; somewhere between Silver and Revell Chrom paints in reflectivity and appearance.  Suffice it to say I'll be using the awesome Magnum 500s in the Boss 351 kit for my project. 

Decals are comprehensive but are only for the standard Mach 1 lower bodyside blackout treatment.  Those wanting the optional side stripes will need to use the second set (silver or black, depending on which one you used on your Boss 351 build) from the Revell Boss 351 kit.  Decal sheet includes numerous small detail marketings especially for underhood area, similar to the Boss 351 kit.  As mentioned above, the vertical front seat color inserts in black are on the decal sheet, this will save a ton of time vs. having to mask those areas as I did on my earlier Boss 351 model build.  The Mach 1 used a smaller hood blackout treatment than the Boss 351; this is not provided on the decalized sheet.  (I will need to go to my reference file to recall if the hood blackout treatment was standard or optional on the Mach 1, or if this kit application is unique to the vehicle in the Bond movie).  There are no lockdown pins on the Mach 1 kit hood.  (UPDATE - a quick check of on-line sources suggest that the blackout hood treatment and hood pins were standard/provided on Mach 1 and other 1971 Mustangs ordered with the RamAir option.  So would a Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet without the ram air option come standard with a non-blackout, non hood pin treatment?.  I don't fully trust online sources so will need to research this further in my library reference files.  I'm betting Rex can help us  on this too.)  The rear taillamp panel has the honeycomb pattern.    

Revell appears to have gone to quite a bit of effort to deliver a fully and properly differentiated 429 Mach 1 vs. giving us just a half-hearted update of the Boss 351 kit; they are to be thoroughly congratulated for their effort and delivery on this. This kit (and the Boss 351 companion) are pretty much dreams come true for me.  For over two decades I've had partly completed AMT and MPC 1971 Mach 1 annual kit builds sitting partially completed, in part because the engines were so awful/incorrect.  Now I can build the Mach 1 the way it deserves.  More coming later...TB  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2024 at 3:29 PM, tim boyd said:

Got mine a couple of hours ago.  Molded in White.  Body color front bumper (chrome front bumper is also included although body color was standard on Mach 1).  Tires are tampo printed narrow whitewalls.  Engine certainly appears to be a 429 Cobra Jet (will compare engine parts tree to the Revell Boss 351 kit later but appears to be an entirely separate tree...the original Revell design brief and 1/1 scale research effort was targeting a 429 Cobra Jet Ram Air engine...).  Even though they appear to be plated on the box art and instruction sheet built model photography, the standard Mach 1 wheels are not plated but instructed to be painted silver.  My recollection is that the wheels and trim rings were a brushed polished finish on the 1/1; somewhere between Silver and Revell Chrom paints in reflectivity and appearance.  Suffice it to say I'll be using the awesome Magnum 500s in the Boss 351 kit for my project. 

Decals are comprehensive but are only for the standard Mach 1 lower bodyside blackout treatment.  Those wanting the optional side stripes will need to use the second set (silver or black, depending on which one you used on your Boss 351 build) from the Revell Boss 351 kit.  Decal sheet includes numerous small detail marketings especially for underhood area, similar to the Boss 351 kit.  As mentioned above, the vertical front seat color inserts in black are on the decal sheet, this will save a ton of time vs. having to mask those areas as I did on my earlier Boss 351 model build.  The Mach 1 used a smaller hood blackout treatment than the Boss 351; this is not provided on the decalized sheet.  (I will need to go to my reference file to recall if the hood blackout treatment was standard or optional on the Mach 1, or if this kit application is unique to the vehicle in the Bond movie).  There are no lockdown pins on the Mach 1 kit hood.  (UPDATE - a quick check of on-line sources suggest that the blackout hood treatment and hood pins were standard/provided on Mach 1 and other 1971 Mustangs ordered with the RamAir option.  So would a Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet without the ram air option come standard with a non-blackout, non hood pin treatment?.  I don't fully trust online sources so will need to research this further in my library reference files.  I'm betting Rex can help us  on this too.)  The rear taillamp panel has the honeycomb pattern.    

Revell appears to have gone to quite a bit of effort to deliver a fully and properly differentiated 429 Mach 1 vs. giving us just a half-hearted update of the Boss 351 kit; they are to be thoroughly congratulated for their effort and delivery on this. This kit (and the Boss 351 companion) are pretty much dreams come true for me.  For over two decades I've had partly completed AMT and MPC 1971 Mach 1 annual kit builds sitting partially completed, in part because the engines were so awful/incorrect.  Now I can build the Mach 1 the way it deserves.  More coming later...TB  

You are spot on with the review.  The Ram-air and twist locks and hood paint were part of a package and were available as an option.  A standard Mach1 with the 429 C code CJ engine like the Bond movie car is correct as far as the kit goes.  As I mentioned in another thread the move Mach1 had an automatic C6 tranny and did not have a rear spoiler.  Because so many restored 71-73 Mach1 had added the ram-air and hood paint and Magnum 500 wheels and spoilers and side stripes and 71 only quick release gas cap.  I am guilty of added stripes, spoilers, gas cap, dual exhaust, rear anti-sway bar, and Magnum 500 wheels on my 1:1 1972 Mach1 that came originally with a 351C 2bbl with ram-air option, hood paint and twist locks and single exhaust. 😉

As you mentioned you can build a cool 429 with ram-air etc and change the wheels and add spoilers and have a very cool model that is to your liking.  You are so right about the AMT and MPC kits with the wrong engines and exhaust systems and all the other under hood details that are lacking.  The Revell tooling upped the game and it will be really hard to go back and finish all those 50 year old mold based kits that somehow keep hitting the shelves.  Perhaps AMT should go back to offering them as a pro stock drag race kit like instead of trying to pass they off as a stock Mustang sportsroof or Mach1.  The least Round2 could do is put the correct factory 73 Mach1 decals in the old MPC kit that was reissued a few years ago and redo the hood to get rid of the cowl vents.  Perhaps if Revell does a combo Eleanor and stock 73 Mach1 kit with both hoods (standard and NACA) and maybe a 351 CJ engine with valve covers from the Revell 69 Boss 302 kit that would put the Round2 ones on the permanently retired list.

IMG_7461.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
Update
  • Like 3

On 1/22/2024 at 8:50 PM, tim boyd said:

...Spotlight Hobbies.  David Dale got his over the weekend; I ordered two tonight.  Pretty excited about these....TB . 

Just ordered me one from Spotlight. :) 

• Like 1

How does the 429 CJ compare the one in the Revell 70 Torino GT? I consider the Torino engine to be the top standard for a Ford 385 series engine, and I'm curious to know how the Mustang engine compares.

Edited by Bainford
clean the butter off the fingers
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bainford said:

How does the 429 CJ compare the one in the Revell 70 Torino GT? I consider the Torino engine to be the top standard for a Ford 385 series engine, and I'm curious to know how the Mustang engine compares.

Trevor, that's one of the things I want to investigate. 

When Revell began this project, I told them that the '70 Torino GT/Cobra engine was a great place to start.  But they were dutifully looking for 1/1s to research and scale, and preferably ones that were out of the engine compartment (to allow more precision detail).  While I never heard back 100%, my presumption was that they were successful in their search.  

Best...TIM 

• Like 2