Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are you doing right now, except for watching the screen? (not model car related)

I bake small flat cakes, here called "clamp cakes".

It is a traditional pastry in my home area during carnival time. I loved these cakes when I was a child and when my mother baked them, they were quickly eaten.
I inherited the baking iron from my mother and I use it once a year. Baking is very time consuming. A little cake like this was eaten faster than it was baked.

Usually they become rolled to a funnel when they are still hot and you can fill them with cream or jam. But I especially like them without anything.

20240124_103532.thumb.jpg.4ad20546e1e08369c58c3727215be717.jpg

• Like 1

If I can get off this infernal contraption, I want to go into my basement and start the search for my modeling work area. It is raining outside and scheduled to continue through the weekend so anything outside is out of the question.

Fixin' to clean the gutters I installed recently on the back of the house.

We have a downpour coming, and when it rains hard, if the gutters aren't clear they overflow, flooding the idiot-built "French drain" that has no outlet. Then water comes in under the wall and runs over the floor that other idiots built below grade...which is way the later idiots built the "French drain".

All the problems this little house has are the direct result of "renovations" done by "experts", apparently without any kind of permitting or engineering oversight...and the fact it was vandalized and stripped of every bit of copper they could get to in 2012.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I’m the executor of my Aunt’s estate. Sold the house and been cleaning it out the last month or two. Down to only a couple of remaining items: a 1999 Coupe de Ville with 29,000 miles that’s been sitting in her garage for the last 7 years, and the big cast iron pot belly stove that was in the family farmhouse back in the 1930’s. Saturday, I have the roll back coming to bring the Caddy to my shop here at home. I’ll spend some time detailing it, changing fluids and rubber, etc.... and then off for sale to some lucky member of my classic Caddy club. The stove? I have NO IDEA what to do with it! I feel obligated to keep it due to family history and all, but our house is all mid-century moderne and it would stick out like a sore thumb. Oh, the trials and tribulations of a 21st century man!.........LOLOL!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just got my '80 Pinto out of the third shop it has been in since buying it. Runs a whole lot better, but I am beginning to think it is much less than I expected. Got to take it over to the station and put some gas in it, then put a few miles on it to get used to its idiosyncrasies.

• Like 1

Day off today, so grocery store and other errands this morning. It's 78 degrees out so I put the top down on the Miata and gave her a bit of a workout. Right now I'm watching Grantchester while the cat takes a nap and laundry is in progress.

PXL_20240126_190659585.thumb.jpg.b359674cb7268764d651b5343de9a99b.jpg

• Like 1

So far this morning, I started the fire in our woodstove,  switched the power from our solar battery's to the generator,  let the inside dogs out to do their business,  and took all my medication ( to be repeated later tonight.)

Now I'm preparing to go out and feed our zoo ( pigs, goats, ducks, turkeys, chickens, rabbits, dogs, and cats) this will take around 2 hours.

Later today, fix whatever is wrong with our tractor ( I suspect the fuel line is cracked) , finish putting up the back wall of the new turkey pen, cut/chop more wood for later tonight, and help SWMBO with the new kitchen countertops.

If I'm lucky, I should be working on models by 4pm. ( today's project is 6 ho scale boxcars I got for Christmas . ) 

In bed by 8:30pm. 

Rinse, 

Repeat,  

1 hour ago, Little Timmy said:

So far this morning, I started the fire in our woodstove,  switched the power from our solar battery's to the generator,  let the inside dogs out to do their business,  and took all my medication ( to be repeated later tonight.)

Now I'm preparing to go out and feed our zoo ( pigs, goats, ducks, turkeys, chickens, rabbits, dogs, and cats) this will take around 2 hours.

Later today, fix whatever is wrong with our tractor ( I suspect the fuel line is cracked) , finish putting up the back wall of the new turkey pen, cut/chop more wood for later tonight, and help SWMBO with the new kitchen countertops.

If I'm lucky, I should be working on models by 4pm. ( today's project is 6 ho scale boxcars I got for Christmas . ) 

In bed by 8:30pm. 

Rinse, 

Repeat,  

Sounds pretty close to heaven to me.

I enjoy working on my own property, on my own stuff, much more than working for the man.

It just took me a while to fully understand my options.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This is just my average weekend schedule.

Mon  through Fri I have to work for " the man" , then come home and catch up on all the farm chores. ( stuff is constantly breaking, and the pigs escape every few days so I have gotten very good at catching the proverbial " greased pig".)

I hope to put " the man" in my rear view mirror within the next 2 or 3 years.