Model Cars Magazine Forum

molded in headlights question

Maybe just a flat clear? I don’t think there’s anything you can do to them that will look as realistic as a clear lens. But if drilling them out is going to destroy the surrounding chrome so that it has to be redone…it may not be worth the work. JMO. Here’s a thread on drilling & replacement if you’re inclined.

https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/180140-how-to-make-clear-headlights-from-chrome-kit-parts/#comment-2787854

https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/161380-making-headlights/#comment-2452680

Edited by NOBLNG

you could try dry brushing matt white and light matt blue/grey over the lense part, then trim some googly eyes down to fit the lense. it might give you slightly more realistic look or there are pe lenses available in sizes from 4 through 7mm. I got them from modellers resource in the uk but they closed at the end of last year but they might be available elsewhere too. you would still need to drill out the kit lenses but these lenses are worth it if you can find them. they have a resin over them thats quite effective at making them look realistic. I'll look them out and get some pics later

Very minimum, I'll put clear drying glue over the top of them.  

If I'm in the mood to be more detailed, drill them out or at least deeper, then if no aftermarket lenses are available I make my own out of clear plastic.  I am lucky enough to have some hand tools for setting domed rivets in leather.  I use that to dome out the plastic and there was a thread on here somehwere about how to add the texture or lines to make them look more realistic.  

Only ever done this on round headlights.  

1 hour ago, maxwell48098 said:

Over the years, I've use Tamiya Peal White.

A.J.

I typically use flat white and then scuff it a bit after. Pearl white sounds like a good option. Do you have pictures of this?

While I don't have photos of examples, I've had decent outcome with plated headlights by brushing a thin layer of Tamiya (brand doesn't matter) clear blue on them.

I've also seen examples of plated headlights with Mod Podge generously applied (use the gloss 'Podge) , and the results are pretty good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2024 at 9:49 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lotsa times this has been addressed previously. Here's just a few, some with pictures and additional links.

Thanks, Ace.

Plenty of reading there, for fixing Chrome Head;ight.

I'll be busy later.