Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Drawbacks To Using Bondic As A Clear Lense?

I've read a few times about using Bondic in place of clear lenses. I'm thinking about giving it a try. One thing I worry about is it discoloring. I used two part epoxy to make lenses on an instrument cluster and sometimes on headlight lenses, but I've noticed it tends to turn a sort of amber or brown color after a few years. I know Bondic may not have been around that long, but I'm wondering if this might be an issue. Any input would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:
3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I tried doing this with the melted styrene and it worked fairly well except for the stub on the back. If I can figure out how to get that done, it might work.

I just did a test of my brilliant idea to use regular CA glue to cast lenses. Made a mold with Alumilite 2 part silicone putty and used Loctite "professional liquid" super glue as the casting medium. Another great idea bites the dust! A total flop! I guess I should get some Bondic to try.

I ordered a Bondic kit off Amazon with a UV light included. I'm hoping it'll be in tomorrow so I can try it out. I have some Alumilite two part mold putty to make a mold out of. For those with experience, should I use a mold release for the Bondic or will it peel off without it? Also, how thick can the Bondic be and still cure? Should I do thin layers and build it up?

Edited by oldcarfan

Unlike its name implies, it is not a glue, so it doesn't bond really well to anything. It should not stick to any sort of rubbery mold.  Also the resin doesn't fully harden and stays sticky on the surface. It is soft (sort of like a really firm Gummi Bear.  At least in my experience.  I was able to set it harder by leaving it in full Summer sunlight for 15 minutes.

If you want to experiment with UV-cured resins, Bondic is rather pricey.  Craft stores sell larger containers of the resin, or look for it on eBay or amazon.  It is more economical that way.  Alos get a stronger UV light source or use Sunlight to harden the resin.

My order came in and it's not Bondic brand. I guess I wasn't paying attention to what I ordered. Anyway, it comes with three different types and has a UV light for only $16. I'll have to try them all. The second pic was when Fia the Wonder Cat decided to check it out.

bondic.jpg

bondiccat.jpg

Edited by oldcarfan

5 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

As promised…here are the bondic lens when first made.IMG_0552.jpeg.b9ffd80d6d359c0cf449dc653659bf3a.jpeg

And about 5 years later.IMG_1378.thumb.jpeg.855cb1d47de0c02466c3c76b72c3b402.jpeg

IMG_1380.thumb.jpeg.cc6e18e4f6712c5a5a30216e46c37618.jpeg

Those look good! I bought a kit and need to do a couple of molds to try it. Thanks for the pictures.

Those look good Gary, but why you are calling it "Bondic", when it is clearly another brand of UV-cured resin?

As I mentioned when I tried actual Bondic, after curing it remained slightly rubbery and its surface was sticky.   "Bondic" is just a trade name for a specific resin. Calling your resin "Bondic" does a disservice to modelers  looking to replicate your success.

On 2/3/2024 at 8:42 PM, oldcarfan said:

My order came in and it's not Bondic brand. I guess I wasn't paying attention to what I ordered. Anyway, it comes with three different types and has a UV light for only $16. I'll have to try them all. The second pic was when Fia the Wonder Cat decided to check it out.

9 hours ago, peteski said:

Those look good Gary, but why you are calling it "Bondic", when it is clearly another brand of UV-cured resin?

As I mentioned when I tried actual Bondic, after curing it remained slightly rubbery and its surface was sticky.   "Bondic" is just a trade name for a specific resin. Calling your resin "Bondic" does a disservice to modelers  looking to replicate your success.

The stuff I used for the Corvette headlights IS Bondic brand. The stuff that Gary got (and states is NOT Bondic) apparently has 3 different viscosities which may work better? I found the Bondic to be a little thick and had to poke it with a toothpick to get it to fill the mold. Please let us know how they turn out Gary.🙂
Edit: The UV light supplied with the Bondic is a little anemic, which is maybe why your castings were sticky Pete. IIRC, I flipped them over when out of the mold and cured the other side too.

Edited by NOBLNG

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Edit: The UV light supplied with the Bondic is a little anemic, which is maybe why your castings were sticky Pete. IIRC, I flipped them over when out of the mold and cured the other side too.

I agree about the light, but I also used a much stronger UV flashlight, and stickiness remained.  I was able to get rid of almost all of the stickiness after letting the resin sit in sunlight for some time.  This was all just experiments to see how the stuff works.  Maybe I have bad batch of Bondic?

I just found this thread.

I have been looking for a replacement for the MV products headlights of yesteryear. Don't know what he used for the clear but years later many of my car models I can't even put out as they look so ridiculous with brown/amber lights. 

"Straightliner59" says he uses a Doming block to form curved aluminum for the reflector part. I didn't know any such thing as a Doming block existed but now I have one.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-10T181824.504.jpeg

I did a quick test this morning with 5min epoxy for the clear. The epoxy is wrong but the concept will work.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-10T181758.594.jpeg

thumbnail_-_2024-02-10T181817.641.jpeg

I ordered a clear UV cured resin kit that specifically says it is yellow resistant. Yea, we'll see. That is arriving Monday, thank you Amazon.

I will post pics of my experiments when I can. hope this helps.