Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Silver For Body Paint?

I'm looking for a good silver to use for a build I'm planning. I've used some Duplicolor before, and one worked well, and one didn't. The main problem with a lot of brands is that the flake is really coarse and out of scale. As I said, one Duplicolor worked really well, but when it was empty, I threw away the can and couldn't remember which one it was. Anyway, I'd like some ideas for spray cans. Is Tamiya a good option?

One of the Tamiya silvers was recommended to me when I was in need of a very fine-flake silver to do a vintage Mercedes race car.

It looked good, but I can't recall the number fo' sho. TS-30 maybe? TS-76 perhaps?

EDIT: Note that TS-83 is intended to replicate bare aluminum, for aircraft fuselages etc., doesn't like clear or being masked over, and requires a black base "for best results".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

TS-17 Gloss Aluminum is probably the best in scale silver look from a spray can. It takes a lot of work and prep to make it look just right though. You could probably say that of most silvers. You need to wet sand your primer and get it very smooth. Use light coats from a heated can first. Keep your wet coats consistent but not too heavy so you can avoid dark spots. If you are using TS-13 to clear it, you need to again start with light coats to keep the color coat from re-activating.

TS-76 is a good silver too and is more forgiving than TS-17 but the flake is a little larger and has more of a sparkle (Still in scale in my opinion compared to most options).  A body with well prepped primer, and finely sanded color coats before the last wet coat of TS-76 will give you a very fine silver look.

TS-30 Silver leaf is very very fine. It's almost more of a plating than it is silver flake. This being the case your primer needs to be baby smooth to keep it looking "fine". It will not cover any flaws whatsoever in your paint. Its a good color but I think it so bare of "grain" that its not quite as pleasing to the eye as TS-17 is.

Edited by DiscoRover007

I've had great results with enamel dupli color silver caliper paint..used it on several occasions on my car, when last assembling my engine I painted the timing cover and valley cover with it and used some rustoleum enamel 2x clear over it..with minimal prep it turned out very nice.  The silver has a very fine flake to it lays down nicely, and the rustoleum clear gives it a very smooth finish.  Next time I decide to paint a model car body silver that's what I'll be using. I zoomed into the timing cover on my LS to show the finish as best as I can.

Screenshot_20240208_220537_Gallery.jpg