Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1962 Thunderbird Sports Roadster

landman

On 1/29/2024 at 8:42 AM, landman said:

Started this morning. That is a nicely detailed engine. Would make a neat dio item.

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

I remember having the original kit back in 1961 and the engine wasn't anything to write home about.  I bet this one doesn't have the metal rod axles.

2 hours ago, Big John said:

I remember having the original kit back in 1961 and the engine wasn't anything to write home about.  I bet this one doesn't have the metal rod axles.

You are right, it doesn't.

Yup, this is a pretty nice kit. And though everything in the box is retooled, the body parts are not a bad fit on the original kit body.

I learned this while prepping to do a custom '63 coupe from a gluebomb (I wanted to do a lightly chopped coupe, and I prefer the '63 side trim and sculpturing).

The original bumpers and hood were pretty awfully glooey, and the originals had the molded-in chrome headlights, so I tried the newer-tool '62 parts.

Close. Real close. The chassis snuggles up under the early-tool bodies just fine too.

• Thanks 2