Model Cars Magazine Forum

My spray bomb technique, and why.......

Hey, guys! I think I might have a little tip here that may be of use to some..... It's my spray method for painting bodies! I've got a technique, as we all do, and it's kind of been practiced enough that I can get good results pretty much every time. What I do that may be different than some is to spray my passes from the lower parts up. I'll mount the body on something that I can maneuver it with, usually a plastic cup. I spray the front grille/headlight area first, then rotate the body to one side. I'll spray each side, laying the passes like you would be laying shingles, from the bottom up......... Once both sides are coated, I tilt the body towards me and spray the trunk, roof, and front fender tops, again working up from the bottom (trunk).

One benefit to using this method is, if you get a run in the paint, you won't be adding to the run by spraying more paint on to it as it runs down! Working up from a run keeps it from getting worse..... Also, spraying the tops last keeps the overspray from the sides landing on it.....

Anyways, I hope my 'shingle pattern' spray method makes sense, and will hopefully help some of those trying to hone their paint skills.........

SDC10939.JPG.2419984052476c258628837c9744773a.JPG

• Like 3

That's how I rattle can or airbrush bodies (been doing this for decades); I start by covering lower areas around grilles, rockers, wheel openings, and move upwards so that upper surfaces like decklid, hood, roof, pillars are done last. Color through clear. 

That makes sense. I try to avoid over-spray on a previously painted panel, the same as I do with 1:1 cars. About a year ago, I started the first coat of paint on an upside down body. I make a loop of tape and affix the body to a suitable stage.

Then I shoot the inside of the body. After that I go around the wheel openings and rocker panels, etc. I like to get as much paint on these areas as possible.

That is the way I do it too, although usually airbrushed. Wheel openings, head/taillight buckets and grill openings first…then bottom up. It just seems natural. I’ve had bad paint jobs, but never any runs.

Edited by NOBLNG

I resurrected a '62 Ford glue bomb last year, I used Duplicolor paint, even with the lousy new formula (blushing no matter what) it came out nicely. I did get a couple of sags, those I could color-sand out. So sage and runs used to scare me and they are usually in good places to deal with, so far. They are not the end of the world. I'd rather deal with those than some orange-peely grainy mess.