Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:16 Gunze Sangyo 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sports Saloon

Anglia105E

44 minutes ago, sjordan2 said:

Brighter minds than mine may be able to discern what's going on here, but this might help.

PIII cutaway-large copy.jpg

Phantom III chassis copy.jpg

The cutaway picture seems to be trying to show right inside the whole car, even to the extent of showing the pistons inside the V12 engine . . . Maybe a little confusing to the eye, but I see what they are attempting to do !

The second image is a very nice view of the rolling chassis, and it shows what a strong design this engineering was at the time, especially the X-brace between the engine and transmission.

David

• Like 2

The jubilee clips ( hose clips ) on the two cooling hoses that connect the radiator to the water rails that run along the top of the engine have been made from Bare Metal Foil, cut into thin strips, and tiny pieces of brass wire for the screws on top . . . Details have been added to the dashboard, including a grab handle on the passenger side made out of a short length of solder, and super glued in place. Once most of the details have been added, the painting of the burr walnut effect can begin . . . Last job today was to carefully paint in the pupils of the eyes of the figure, or should I say the IRIS which is Prussian Blue acrylic, and applied with a cocktail stick rather than a brush . . . A cocktail stick was used also for the dashboard detail, using Molotow Liquid Chrome refill and Humbrol Metallic Black enamel.

David

100_6169.JPG

100_6182.JPG

100_6186.JPG

100_6209.JPG

100_6214.JPG

100_6236.JPG

100_6242.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Excellent detail work on the engine and dash panel David.

The ol' gaffer is coming along quite well too. I like the colors you're using for his outfit.

David G.

Thanks again David . . . This time I decided to add the detail to the dashboard BEFORE applying the burr walnut paint effect, whereas previously I have applied the burr walnut first , and then struggled with the detail afterwards . . . For the hat, jacket and trousers on this figure I didn't want black, white or grey, and I didn't want red, blue, green or purple, so I settled on brown which I think looks fine . . .

David

35 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Thanks again David . . . This time I decided to add the detail to the dashboard BEFORE applying the burr walnut paint effect, whereas previously I have applied the burr walnut first , and then struggled with the detail afterwards . . . For the hat, jacket and trousers on this figure I didn't want black, white or grey, and I didn't want red, blue, green or purple, so I settled on brown which I think looks fine . . .

David

Yeah, for the figure one probably wants to avoid purple, blue and green. At least in certain combinations!

Joker_14.jpg.c596fc665a8f6330371193ad35c10c0b.jpg

:D

Cheers!

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Yeah, for the figure one probably wants to avoid purple, blue and green. At least in certain combinations!

Joker_14.jpg.c596fc665a8f6330371193ad35c10c0b.jpg

:D

Cheers!

David G.

Then there is orange as well ! ! !

David

One of my thoughts on the research I've done on classic cars was to use a laser print (not a typical home printer -- they bleed)  to scale of the type of wood trim I wanted to use, and there are plenty of examples online, like this.

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 1.44.57 PM.png

46 minutes ago, sjordan2 said:

One of my thoughts on the research I've done on classic cars was to use a laser print (not a typical home printer -- they bleed)  to scale of the type of wood trim I wanted to use, and there are plenty of examples online, like this.

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 1.44.57 PM.png

I have just come down from my workbench in the loft, where I was mixing enamel paint colours and trying out brush techniques . . . This is all to do with  my ' Burr Walnut Paint Testing ' procedure.  Some time ago last year I did try using printed sheets of different walnut grain patterns, so your suggestion regarding laser printed samples is very timely !

So far, I haven't arrived at the colours, shades and patterns that I am looking for, and in the past what usually happened was that I found the right mix accidentally while working on the Silver Cloud interiors . . . Once the burr walnut paint effect is on the dashboard, division and interior door panels I shall then apply a coat of yacht varnish, which always results in a wonderful highly polished gloss shine.

David

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

Interiors from a PIII sales piece.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 5.05.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 5.06.06 PM.png

Fascinating stuff Skip . . . Those two images are Phantom III sure enough, but they are not coachwork by Freestone and Webb. or at least I don't think so. The doors open the opposite way round, so the rear door is a ' suicide ' type of door and the front door opens in the conventional manner. On the car that I am building, the front door opens as a suicide door from the central pillar, and the rear door also hinges from the central pillar in the conventional manner. Also there are extra seats in the rear passenger compartment, which suggest this is probably a limousine, rather than a sports saloon.

What luxury you would have enjoyed as a Phantom III owner, and all this with sufficient headroom to wear a top hat !

David

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sjordan2 said:

F&W interior

rr31.png

rr45.png

rr36.png

rr40.png

Thank you Skip, and that is just what I like to see . . . That is a Freestone and Webb bodied motor car, and a few things spring to mind as I am seeing those images . . . The sunroof appears to be above the driver's compartment only, whereas my model Phantom III has a soft fabric panel on top of the roof that extends almost to the rear of the roof area. Also I noticed, the wind-up division glass has an interesting feature. The winding down of the glass partition window causes the mechanism to tilt the glass at an angle towards the rear of the car, so that the glass lowers into a forward angled housing behind the driver's seat. Then when you wound up the glass, it would rise and angle upwards to the 90° vertical as it reached the interior of the roof.

Not only was the angled division glass feature exclusive to the Rolls-Royce Phantom III, but also there was not another car in the world that had such a mechanism, either mechanical or electrical . . . I think I am correct in saying that!  There were indeed many other features of the Phantom III that you would not find among other motor cars that have ever been produced. 

The wood finish appears to be burr walnut, which I prefer to the burr mahogany finish, and the steering wheel looks to be very old, so possibly this car in the photos could be a 1936 model and one of the first ones to be produced. Those between 1937 and 1939 usually have a different steering wheel.

Thanks very much for these photos, which are most welcome reference material . . .

David

100_6323.JPG

100_6324.JPG

The canvas roof cover isn't really supposed to be roll-back. I've read that cars of the day had that feature because molding a slightly curved metal roof of that size was technologically difficult at the time, so there was a hole in the roof, supported underneath with wood beams, then covered inside with a headliner.

As for the wood, wouldn't the original version have a mush glossier shine?

Edited by sjordan2

2 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

You are correct that the first interiors I posted were from a 1936 model. Here are some 1937 F&W interiors.

3BT93Int11.JPG

3BT93Int10.JPG

3BT93Dash2.JPG

You have come up with some really good information Skip . . . The 1937 car is the same as my Phantom III model, with same steering wheel and the same door configuration . . . I was puzzled about the canvas roof covering, and I wrongly assumed that it was an opening sunroof. I understand what you are saying about the roof construction back in the day, and it all makes perfect sense now!

The photo of the dashboard is very useful, and you are quite right, the burr walnut finish would have been highly polished, almost like the surface of glass.  Maybe the 1936 car needed to have the dashboard re-polished or restored.

David

• Like 1

Today I made a point of focusing on the leather interior of the Phantom III, and put the other two jobs to one side, which were the burr walnut woodwork and the felt carpeting . . . The rear seat, front seat, lower division and the four interior lower door panels were given a coating of soot black enamel wash, and this has transformed the appearance of the leather surface. First of all, the matt brown colour is now darker, and also the black wash brings out the relief and texture.

The glossy appearance of the seats in particular is the exactly the look that I was after, but I suspect this will dry to a matt finish overnight. This is not a problem, as I can apply some Satin Cote enamel over the leather areas . . .

These photos show the before and after effect of using the black wash, with the first two photos being the untreated seats . . .

David

100_6307.JPG

100_6308.JPG

100_6310.JPG

100_6311.JPG

100_6313.JPG

100_6314.JPG

100_6320.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

Just a miscellaneous detail -- here's a wheel cover from an F&W PIII

FW wheelcover.png

My original build plan was to add wheel covers like the one in your photo, which would have been held in place by micro magnets . . . However, there are no wheel covers included in the Gunze Sangyo kit, and the only way to get hold of some would be to buy a 1:16 scale Revell Rolls-Royce Phantom II kit and use the wheel covers from that donor kit . . . As it happens, I much prefer the wire spoked wheel look, so minus those wheel covers, and the black spoked wheels look evern better than chrome plated ones. This made it necessary to spray black over the chrome wheels in this kit, as I did not want to dip the 40 year old plastic in a ' purple pond ' to remove the chrome completely.

I have seen some PIII cars with cream wheel covers. some have black wheel covers, but they look better on a PII car than a PIII to my eye . . .

David