Model Cars Magazine Forum

A winter work bench of fuel altered’s

We are living in the best time ever to build drag cars of all types . With all the reissues from round two and Atlantis . Along with the new awb mopars  , and comet cyclones form möbius . Plus some aftermarket decals. I hope some young modelers read this and draw some inspiration . These small and relatively easy to build they lend themselves well to all levels of detail. The Atlantis fiat alone is a wealth of spare parts with two complete front axle assembly’s. The engines in this kit can easily be swapped out with the engines from amt’s double dragster kit. Which is a legendary kit full of spare parts. Then round two gives us the best altered kit of all the bantam blast . Oh and If you’re reading this round two the winged express would be a welcome addition. IMG_2926.thumb.jpeg.47a6153420adef1238ab5a3637e1aeab.jpegIMG_2913.thumb.jpeg.a150b4ca10a0f8d32b649a446169f5d5.jpeg

• Like 10

I agree with you Michael, and this is an amazing time to build models. There is so much available limited to your wallet and time. I have a soft spot for altered’s. I spent most of my teen years crewing for AA/FA, and we match raced the car, and even attended the Fuel Altered Nationals in 1974. I look forward to your builds.I’m sitting on the right front tire. 

73B1A108-6223-411D-996C-3AD3B1924F34.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dragcarz said:

I agree with you Michael, and this is an amazing time to build models. There is so much available limited to your wallet and time. I have a soft spot for altered’s. I spent most of my teen years crewing for AA/FA, and we match raced the car, and even attended the Fuel Altered Nationals in 1974. I look forward to your builds.I’m sitting on the right front tire. 

Rodger that’s a great photo good times for sure. What drag strip was it taken at?

11 hours ago, M W Elky said:

Rodger that’s a great photo good times for sure. What drag strip was it taken at?

A small drag strip in Pevely Missouri called I-55 Raceway, they had an 1/8 mile drag strip and a roundy round dirt track. The strip closed a long time ago, but I think the dirt track still operates. 

20 hours ago, dragcarz said:

I remember when the world looked just like that! I was 15, in 1974, and had just been into drag racing for a couple of years--since I went to my first drag race! Cool stuff! There was a guy that ran at the strip I first went to who had a gas T altered, that looked similar to yours. It was called "Pre-War Funny Car" which I always thought was a great name!

2 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I remember when the world looked just like that! I was 15, in 1974, and had just been into drag racing for a couple of years--since I went to my first drag race! Cool stuff! There was a guy that ran at the strip I first went to who had a gas T altered, that looked similar to yours. It was called "Pre-War Funny Car" which I always thought was a great name!

It seemed so easy to get hooked on drag racing cars back then, they just looked so cool and anyone could build a car.It seems cool car names were the norm. InsaniTy was the cars name, I liked the emphasis on the T.  I’m 15 or 16 years old in this photo, I remember I didn’t have my drivers license yet. NHRA didn’t treat AA/FA like a professional class. The funny cars were  getting all the attention. 

• Like 1

Loving what you’re doing here with these altereds Mike. I also agree with your comment about the “golden age of scale drag racing models”, I’ve been stock piling many of these same kits but have only built the Fiat from the AMT double dragster kit so far (I’m still trying to finish all my super stocker kits !). Looking forward to seeing this “crackle-fest” line-up come together! Thanks for posting this WIP!

Today’s progress the pure heaven is on its wheels and decals are done. They were no easy task due in part to their age I guess, but I think they would have been tricky when they were new. All In all not bad for being 27 years old. The earlier slixx decals from when they were in California always seem to me like a better quality. As they work well with micro sol , and really settle down over the curves nicely. I also find that it’s best to have the water on the hot side. I like to use our electric tea pot to heat up the water then I mix In a little cold water from the tap, and a small squirt of dawn dish soap.