Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Porsche 911S, 1/24 Le Mans.....Part 1...

So.... After 9-10 months of furiously building a 1 to 1 scale house, packing, moving and unpacking, Su and I are finally into our new home. I'm told the unpacking part can go on for years. I'm thankful for a full basement.

This will be a test build to try out my new model building station. I was graciously allowed to have my model building area incorporated into our office area. I finally have set up my trusty old oak teachers desk with all my building supplies in the (I think) best ever set-up.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-03T060108.433.jpeg

The wooden paint rack to my left holds all the little Testors enamel bottles with everything else in easy reach. For the first time ever I have a real live paint booth over my right shoulder. I'm still figuring out how to vent it outside. Airbrush and compressor are hidden on the window sill behind the seat back. To the left of the model building area, I have set up my office desk with desk-top computer. I can now see reference photos on the screen without having to print them out. I strongly suspect I can participate in various zoom meetings with camera off and still build.   ( snicker....) 

I wanted something easy and quick to build (think white) so I could test out my new digs. To that end I'm building the #45 Porsche that raced at Le mans in 1970. It also will allow me to add to my growing collection of cars that appeared both in the actual race and the Steve McQueen movie "Le Mans". My intension some day is to have them displayed lined up with a background of the pit wall.

Screen_Shot_2024-02-03_at_7.36.10_AM.png

The real car and the reel car both appear in the movie. They did a pretty good mock-up of the car for the cameras, only difference I can see is the race car had the extra headlights mounted on the bumper and the mock-up has them on the hood. Reel car also has a Porsche banner added under the door. Real car has bumperettes.

nZpCEVmBXEp6PYHZ9YtKpe6q9eY500x356_zpsj5

Screen_Shot_2024-02-02_at_3.17.20_PM.png

Fujimi Porsche 911S in 1/24 scale. 1969.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-02T223202.252.jpeg

#45 driven by Claude Laurent and Jacques Marche. Apparently the car finished the race but covered insufficient miles to qualify in its class.

Screen_Shot_2024-02-02_at_3.16.09_PM_pD9

Decals are from "Le Mans Decal" in Spain. They are good, not Cartigraph but usable. They offer 100's of markings and are often the only available decals for any given car.   https://www.lemansdecals.com/tienda/en/17-le-mans

thumbnail_-_2024-02-02T223139.452.jpeg

After market headlights. Add interior roll cage, race seat and belts, standard Fuchs wheels, kit tires. Simple.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-02T223149.944.jpeg

Since switching over to acrylics (kicking and screaming), I've yet to paint a gloss car so this is another test.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-02T223210.949.jpeg

After not building anything for so long, I feel a bit rusty and not sure where to start. I'm sure it will come back to me once I start nipping sprue.

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 5

Congrats on your new digs Allan! It makes such a difference to have a comfortable work space. My own work bench is nearly identical and was my Dad’s office desk. 

I do wish to caution you on your choice of a “quick and easy build” being a Fujimi EM or Enthusiast’s Model with great detail and many sub assemblies. Your choice of building a replica Porsche is great and thanks for the link to the decals. In building this kit I would recommend a deep familiarity with the instructions and drawings, including paint details. I often write or put sticky notes all over my sheets. The other is an often heard phrase, yet it rings so true; treat each sub assembly as a model on its own. This kit requires great patience and study, especially combined with visual research of the original car.

Your on a good start, looking forward to your progress and your further postings on this special 911!

Cheers Misha

The film version of the #45 car is actually one of the 20 911R production cars made in 1967, which is very rare today. That car (serial 11899004R) and the sister car (11899005R) were owned by Jo Siffert and loaned to Solar Productions for the film. 004R portrayed car #45 in the film, and 005R portrayed car #66. 

Allan...congratulations on the new house and move.  I just moved myself to NY  (aarrggh) and relocated 60yrs of accumulation. And especially on having your own dedicated work area which is essential to model work. Your work area will always be a work in progress. Two things come to mind to help you with your work station. Get your compressor as far away from your paint booth as possible. Vibrating a paint booth is not good and compressors exhaust a lot of dirty air.  I can help you with a way to vent it outside as there is a window close.  If that is carpet under your chair that is a no no.  You will never find any small parts (like PE)  in carpet.  You will spent a lot of time on the floor (trust me on this) looking for parts so cover up any hiding places to make your job easier. Happy modeling BTW..that Porsche was a good choice. 

21 hours ago, Misha said:

Congrats on your new digs Allan! It makes such a difference to have a comfortable work space. My own work bench is nearly identical and was my Dad’s office desk. 

I do wish to caution you on your choice of a “quick and easy build” being a Fujimi EM or Enthusiast’s Model with great detail and many sub assemblies. Your choice of building a replica Porsche is great and thanks for the link to the decals. In building this kit I would recommend a deep familiarity with the instructions and drawings, including paint details. I often write or put sticky notes all over my sheets. The other is an often heard phrase, yet it rings so true; treat each sub assembly as a model on its own. This kit requires great patience and study, especially combined with visual research of the original car.

Your on a good start, looking forward to your progress and your further postings on this special 911!

Cheers Misha

Thanks Misha. You're right of course, I'm discovering a lot of building time wasted on things I or anybody else will never see. Not so quick and easy....

I build "curbside"

8 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Allan...congratulations on the new house and move.  I just moved myself to NY  (aarrggh) and relocated 60yrs of accumulation. And especially on having your own dedicated work area which is essential to model work. Your work area will always be a work in progress. Two things come to mind to help you with your work station. Get your compressor as far away from your paint booth as possible. Vibrating a paint booth is not good and compressors exhaust a lot of dirty air.  I can help you with a way to vent it outside as there is a window close.  If that is carpet under your chair that is a no no.  You will never find any small parts (like PE)  in carpet.  You will spent a lot of time on the floor (trust me on this) looking for parts so cover up any hiding places to make your job easier. Happy modeling BTW..that Porsche was a good choice. 

Thanks Rich. We put down real wood floors throughout the house. The carpet you see are rubber mats that protect the floor from the occasional lacquer spill. I have used them for years, the carpet pile is very short, besides, what would a model room be without a "Carpet Monster".

18 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

The film version of the #45 car is actually one of the 20 911R production cars made in 1967, which is very rare today. That car (serial 11899004R) and the sister car (11899005R) were owned by Jo Siffert and loaned to Solar Productions for the film. 004R portrayed car #45 in the film, and 005R portrayed car #66. 

Thanks Maxx, sounds like we have the same books!!...

• Allan31 changed the title to Fujimi Porsche 911S, 1/24 Le Mans.....Part 1...

The front and rear valances took a large bit of fiddling to get right.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-14T191813.106.jpeg

Using the Plastruct with the metel core I built a roll cage.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-14T173548.502.jpeg thumbnail_-_2024-02-14T173540.525.jpeg thumbnail_-_2024-02-14T173557.817.jpeg

I can't see in the photos if there is in fact a full cage, more likely just the roll bar behind the seat but I need the practice anyway.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-14T173517.767.jpeg thumbnail_-_2024-02-14T173527.340.jpeg thumbnail_-_2024-02-14T173625.391.jpeg

I will wack the suspension on soon. 

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 1