Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tired of switching chucks in my pin vise

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yes indeed, my motto as well. Been sayin' that for decades.  <_<

It is possible to reach the point of diminishing returns. I recently spent two years mucking out a large garage that was stocked using that philosophy. 

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

It is possible to reach the point of diminishing returns. I recently spent two years mucking out a large garage that was stocked using that philosophy. 

Agreed. Moderation and a realistic approach to all things is best.  <_<

Guess I'm late to this one, but I'll chime in anyway.  I love my Starrett Machinists Pin Vise set of five varying sized pin vises so you can have all five of them set up with a different diameter drill bit.  Comes in handy when you are drilling a pilot hole then drilling up to size, you just set up the appropriate vise and bits and drill away! I've seen cheaper Machinists Pin Vises on eVilbay for a lot cheaper than the Starrett's but the threading on the chucks is not as smooth. My set belonged to my grandfather who got them sometime in the thirties, they look and perform exactly like the newer Starrett Pin Vises do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Right on Skip!..😎👍

Here's my set... These are the best money can buy.... 

20240316_025937.jpg

20240316_030059.jpg

Those are good. I had one that someone gave me, the cap had stripped out. I should look for that set and give the rest of mine away.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 6:23 PM, Skip said:

Guess I'm late to this one, but I'll chime in anyway.  I love my Starrett Machinists Pin Vise set of five varying sized pin vises so you can have all five of them set up with a different diameter drill bit.  Comes in handy when you are drilling a pilot hole then drilling up to size, you just set up the appropriate vise and bits and drill away! I've seen cheaper Machinists Pin Vises on eVilbay for a lot cheaper than the Starrett's but the threading on the chucks is not as smooth. My set belonged to my grandfather who got them sometime in the thirties, they look and perform exactly like the newer Starrett Pin Vises do.

Nice! You get what you pay for. I bought a cheap set and none of them would hold a drill bit on center.🤬 One of them I cut real short for drilling holes in door jambs for magnets…and the rest went in the scrap bin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobss396 said:

Those are good. I had one that someone gave me, the cap had stripped out. I should look for that set and give the rest of mine away.

These also fit in an R-8 collet for Bridgeport duty...🙂

• Like 2

I have a set of Starrett and they are very nice but I find that the collets are a bit too hard and I find that they do not hold drills as well as I would like. Good for holding work pieces however.

My preference is for the Tamiya pin vises, the large product no. 74050 and the smaller one product no. 74051 ( or 0.1 to 1mm drills ) and have several of both. Very concentric and grip drills very well.  These are actually made by Minishema and branded for Tamiya.

cheers, Graham