Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Monogram '30 Ford Model A 5-window Coupe

This was just added to the new releases section at Revell-Monogram. I'm always looking for Hot Rod material. More than anything the body shell, and possibly the chassis would be of interest to me. How good/bad/indifferent might this kit be? The 1/24 scale hints that it is a possible Monogram reissue. Here's the picture and description:

1:24 '30 Ford Coupe Plastic Model Kit
Product ID: 85-7551

Overview
Skill Level 2
Length: Lenth 6-1/4"

Description
The ever popular Model A Ford lives again. Produced from 1928 to1931, the Model A was the much-awaited entirely new car that replaced the famous "Tin Lizzie" Model T. This model is a faithful reproduction of the 1930 coupe. The interior is fully detailed, hood lifts off to show the four cylinder L-head engine. Rumble seat door opens and closes. Kit kit includes familiar spare wheel mounted on rear, typical Ford grille, and clear plastic windows. Five-window Model A. Lenth 6-1/4". For ages 10+, skill level 2.

Bern, I haven't seen it, but yeah, I'd be thinkin it's just a re-pop of the 24th kit. Can't see R/M doin a WHOLE NEW kit in 25th scale when all they gotta do is dust off the molds for that one! It IS good fodder for all them Hot Rodders out there though! Didja see the one in"Under Glass" He used the 24th 30 body/fender section and the 25th 32 Chassis and engine, an man, did it come out NICE!!!! :lol:

It may have just been added to their web site, but it was announced a few months back.
It is, indeed, the 24th scale Monogram, stock only, Model A that has been reissued many times over the years.
Even though I still have one unopened, I'm looking forward to getting a couple more. And, oddly enough, it is true that the Revell 25th scale '32 Ford street rod parts fit this kit rather well.
This is what I did to one back in the 80's - hence, the pink and baby blue graphics!
cars4033-vi.jpg
Looking at it 25 years later,,,,,,,,,,,this is bad. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it is FACTORY STOCK , Does anybody makes a FACTORY STOCK roadster body for that kit?

I would love to do a FACTORY STOCK Model A Deluxe Roadster. Other than the body and top, what else would change?

Something along these lines:

DSCF0062b-vi.jpg

Repeat with me:

FACTORY STOCK

FACTORY STOCK

FACTORY STOCK

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

Thanx everyone. This one snuck up on me. From what you all report this may be something to get excited about, especially since it appears to be highly compatible with 1/25 chassis and parts.

Bern, ... It IS good fodder for all them Hot Rodders out there though! Didja see the one in"Under Glass" He used the 24th 30 body/fender section and the 25th 32 Chassis and engine, an man, did it come out NICE!!!! :D

George: I couldn't find the car you're referring to. If you know where it is could you add a link for it to this thread?

It may have just been added to their web site, but it was announced a few months back.
It is, indeed, the 24th scale Monogram, stock only, Model A that has been reissued many times over the years.
Even though I still have one unopened, I'm looking forward to getting a couple more. And, oddly enough, it is true that the Revell 25th scale '32 Ford street rod parts fit this kit rather well.

Lyle: Good looking car for its day. I would expect that you'd have made some progress over the years!

5win.jpg

Charles: Nice start. It shows how much character that A 5-window has. It will definitely be on my to-do list!

The old reissues and even the original can be found pretty easily on eBay.

Here's the original Monogram issue with multiple build options. Since the top is a seperate piece, they did several variations over the years. I had the original issue of the '34 Ford that was issued like this with several options.

Coupe1-vi.jpg

Here's one of the early reissues.

Coupe2-vi.jpg

Here's one of the more recent reissues that I have a copy of.

Coupe3-vi.jpg

Here's the Woody in several releases...

woody1-vi.jpgwoody2-vi.jpg

woody3-vi.jpgwoody4-vi.jpg

Here's my personal favorite...the touring car.

Touring1-vi.jpg

Later,

The old reissues and even the original can be found pretty easily on eBay.

Here's the original Monogram issue with multiple build options. Since the top is a seperate piece, they did several variations over the years. I had the original issue of the '34 Ford that was issued like this with several options.

Coupe1-vi.jpg

Thanx for the historical perspective. The original 6-way (!) looks especially Model Car Golden Age cool. It also answers Ismael's question about a roadster version! Looks like it would be pretty easy to adapt, especially with his mega-chops. Wonder if it's subject to feeding frenzies on evil-bay? :lol: And the Touring Car is cool too, yessireee... :lol:

I find myself rapidly becoming insensitive to the 1/24 vs. 1/25 issue...

Edited by gbk1

I LOVE this kit! i'm looking forward to having the chance to buy them again. ... these do fit quite nice on the Revell '32 Ford chassis

carsfeb25193.jpg

Another sweet example of what can be done with this model. Obviously, this little 5-window body shell has BAGS of character. Given that it's compatible with the 1/25 Revell '32 rails I'm beginning to think that for me at least this is a more significant release than the '32 5-window! Checking on e-bay there are no examplers of this old kit so this re-issue really matters. I can't wait!!!!

• 3 years later...

I recently came across this kit for sale and the subject matter appealed to me.

However, I have never built one or even seen one built.

So I would like to know what to expect and if this kit is even worth getting/building.

Pics and comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

This is the kit I'm talking about:

Monogram%207551%2030FordCvg.JPG

(Picture not mine)

A Friend of mine had that kit. We were very exited about it, since both of us like the Model A better than Model B.

If I remember correctly, the top of that kit is molded seperately, and it's not as well detailed as the new kits by Revell, of course. But I think it really is worth buying and building, we've seen hundreds of '32 Fords in different body styles: 3W and 5W Coupes, Sedans, Tudors, Pickups and Roadsters.... This is a difference. Of course it's possible to use a Revell '32 Ford as a donor kit, if the detail in this kit is not good enough.

I would buy that immediately if I found it for cheap.

I've got an earlier release that was also buildable as a cabriolet and a couple of hot-rod versions. I personally think it's a great kit, but as I only have one, I've been reluctant to chop it. It IS 1/24 but I've seen the body built up on 1/25 guts and it looks great.

It's getting pretty rare and expensive in virgin shape.

PS. The version you have is on 'buy it now' on the 'bay for $25, free shipping.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This kit makes great raw material for a variety of approaches to hot rod building, When it was re-issued by Revell three years or so years back there was tremendous excitement as many hot rod modelers had ideas about what to do with it. It lacks accurate beltline detail so the more advanced and detail oriented builders corrected that flaw. Examples showed up in the full range from near-stock, to full fendered street rods, all the way to chopped and channeled renditions. The kit has tremendous character and has a tendency to make the modeler look good, regardless of their skill level.

At the time I was only about a year and half into my return to modeling and my skill level left something to be desired. Despite this I took on a chopped and channeled traditional rod and the ability of the this body style and Monogram's version of it to shine through helped carry me. So, the bottom line is that I'm sure you'll really enjoy whatever you decide to do with it. (I really need to build another one now that I know my way around the workbench a bit better...)

Here's a pic of that early attempt:

DSCF7105-web.jpg

As was stated earlier, the only snag is the roof being molded separately, & that really wouldn't be considered much of a snag if they hadn't molded the rear package shelf intact with the roof assembly. This makes it a little more work for those of us that want to put the roof on first, before painting, to do this you either need to remove the package tray, or paint the interior of the roof & tray first the assemble the body for paint & mask off the windows & interior of the roof before going on with the rest of the finish & paint sequence. If you can get hold of the R&D Unique Model A chassis kit, (any will do) you can make a well detailed contemporary Street Rod out of this one. Have fun & enjoy a welcome addition to the re-issue catalog.

This '30 Model A coupe by Monogram is the first kit I built when I got back into modeling back in the mid-90's.

I turned it into dry lakes racer w/ a nifty weathered paint job.

I liked it so much I picked up a couple of more for my stash.

It's an old tool but a goody...not too clunky being a Monogram kit

Edited by styromaniac