Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replicas & Miniatures Co of Maryland

16 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

It does sound like those of us who live outside the US are just out of luck.

Many financial institutions worldwide will issue International Money Orders in US dollars.

I can't imagine Norm refusing to take one of those...but contacting him to confirm that would be advisable.

I know it's a PITA, and there are usually fees for money orders, but his stuff is so good, it's worth jumping through a few hoops to get it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

Before moving back to Washington state, a club I belonged to in Illinois did a bulk order so folks wanting only one or two parts could benefit.  We had a focal point collect and make the order then distribute it to the parties in the order.  A tad of work, but helpful to those of more limited means.

For me, I build up an order for myself and go as big as I can.  That was especially true when a lot of the Ferrari focused parts were available from Norm.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Many financial institutions worldwide will issue International Money Orders in US dollars.

I can't imagine Norm refusing to take one of those...but contacting him to confirm that would be advisable.

I know it's a PITA, and there are usually fees for money orders, but his stuff is so good, it's worth jumping through a few hoops to get it.

Trust me, I am very familiar with international money orders, and on his order form he is very specific about money orders from a US Bank.

All the same, I've sent an email, and we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Trust me, I am very familiar with international money orders, and on his order form he is very specific about money orders from a US Bank.

All the same, I've sent an email, and we'll see what happens.

When I (in USA) had to use money orders, I got them from the Post Office (not a bank). Not sure how different that is from any other money order issued in US Dollars.  I would imagine that if they are issued in US Dollars, they would be ok to use, but I would confirm that with Norm.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2024 at 4:10 PM, peteski said:

When I (in USA) had to use money orders, I got them from the Post Office (not a bank). Not sure how different that is from any other money order issued in US Dollars.  I would imagine that if they are issued in US Dollars, they would be ok to use, but I would confirm that with Norm.

I sent an email query in February, and still no reply.   The parts do look very nice, but if he really doesn't want to do business with me,  what can I do?

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I sent an email query in February, and still no reply.   The parts do look very nice, but if he really doesn't want to do business with me,  what can I do?

You might try emailing Norman again with the subject line stating you would like to order R&M co of MD products.

15 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Since you yourself communicate trough email, you likely know how unreliable that type of communication can be.  While the email process itself is reliable, Spam filters often "eat" legitimate emails or send them to a Spam folder full of real unwanted emails.

Having said that, and realizing that you're dealing with a very small one-man (plus wife and maybe sometimes a helper?) operation, super-busy casting superb quality parts the old-fashioned way (not just plugging in a 3D printer and spewing dozens of parts at a time). I would not give up so quickly.  I suspect  some legit order or info request emails get lost in the shuffle.  Norm focuses on the production, rather than sifting through Spam emails.  It would be different if he could hire a dedicated person just for customer relations, but that is not realistic in his business model

If you really want those parts (and from personal experience with Norm's product I know they worth the extra effort), I would try emailing Norm couple more times (possibly from different email addresses if you have them). Clearly state your purpose in the subject line (something like "RMCoM info request"), and give some time for the response.  Not sure if a phone call would be feasible for you, but that would be another avenue to explore.

To put it bluntly, Norm doesn't need any more business - he is already super busy filling his orders already.  That is why the customer that really wants Norm's products, might have to go through extra hoops to get it.  Think about this like what people do to get the newly released Xbox video game console. People camp out at the store the nigth before to get a chance to get it.  Same here: you have to be persistent trying to get what you want.  If not, oh well . . .

I have my own opinions on the intelligence and mental stability of people who camp out to buy game stuff.

I suppose I could camp out on the guy's front door, but a trip to Maryland does seem a little excessive, and he might not be all that pleased by finding some stranger sitting on his front porch waiting for parts.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I have my own opinions on the intelligence and mental stability of people who camp out to buy game stuff.

I suppose I could camp out on the guy's front door, but a trip to Maryland does seem a little excessive, and he might not be all that pleased by finding some stranger sitting on his front porch waiting for parts.

Maybe that was not the best example, but I was basically trying to say that if you want something bad enough (especially if it is very desired or top quality), you might have to go through some of those proverbial extra hoops to get it.