Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone here or know someone who can make custom decal

Im going to try my hand and converting a Revell 67 GTX to a 66 Satellite.

The easiest way I can think to do the rear is with a decal.

Anyone here capable of such a task, 

I can get any picture , angle or dimensions needed 

pic just for some kind of reference 

finish-panel.jpg

That might be the easiest,but how good do you want the final result to look? 

In my opinion only, I say scratch build it! I see a few layers of small styrene,BMF, and a little red paint. Unless you are in a hurry, take some time to play with it. Build those skills! You can learn a lot from practicing and talented people on here!

• Like 1

In theory, that sure sounds good.

Issue is the depth differences between the levels is only MAYBE 1/8inch on the 1/1 

My thoughts were a very thin - flat piece of styrene with a decal  overlay to achieve the best effect.

I cant imagine trying to get multiple pieces of styrene that small in perfect alignment to make it look right. Possibily taking some small styrene and make a edge perimeter with a decal insert. 

Looking at the kit this morning. I think I can pull the tail lights off reasonably easy. ....Of course I say that now. I haven't actually delved into it yet.

Just looking at  possibilities . Unless there is someone who can 3d print the pieces. Again, I can provide any picture / measurement needed. 

1 hour ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Can you not modify this detail for a 67?

image.png

I could probably use part of something like that.

But the grille is going to be too narrow.

I will have to see if I have one of these photo Etch kits.

Of not...order one. At a minimum I can use it for emblems 

8 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I cant imagine trying to get multiple pieces of styrene that small in perfect alignment to make it look right. Possibily taking some small styrene and make a edge perimeter with a decal insert.

I would cut out the area of the panel, slightly smaller than the outside trim edge, then add the trim to the body with a small inner edge. I would cut a flat piece of sheet to fit the hole you cut and put any needed curvature in before gluing it to the inner edge of the trim you added. Next I would mark out the 3 trim pieces on the inside on the thinnest sheet i had, leaving connections between them at each end and glue only the parts you need down. Once the glue has dried you can carefully trim away the 4 connections and you will be left with 3 perfectly inline trim pieces on a finished panel ready for paint and foil. If you wanted to add the lights also, I would cut them out before paint and foil and add some small pite of sheet to the back. Then its just making some lenses after its foiled and painted. 

15 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I would cut out the area of the panel, slightly smaller than the outside trim edge, then add the trim to the body with a small inner edge. I would cut a flat piece of sheet to fit the hole you cut and put any needed curvature in before gluing it to the inner edge of the trim you added. Next I would mark out the 3 trim pieces on the inside on the thinnest sheet i had, leaving connections between them at each end and glue only the parts you need down. Once the glue has dried you can carefully trim away the 4 connections and you will be left with 3 perfectly inline trim pieces on a finished panel ready for paint and foil. If you wanted to add the lights also, I would cut them out before paint and foil and add some small pite of sheet to the back. Then its just making some lenses after its foiled and painted. 

I have to make the entire rear section of the decklid as the Revell GTX has a seperate rear finish panel that fills the void 

23 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

...........try Bedlam Creations ,he did decals for my Autocar wrecker and Teachers Pet Plymouth ,,he will need exact size /font/colors and pictures >>  Bedlam Creations - Creators of custom waterslide decals for guitars, miniatures, models, and more!

Thanks, Just sent them an email with pictures 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 6:06 PM, gtx6970 said:

Thanks, Just sent them an email with pictures 

I've heard back.

Game him all kinds of pictures and measurements. 

Waiting on a quote right now.

Fingers crossed he can help me

20240224_132319.jpg

• Like 1