Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 2/29/2024 at 5:30 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

Is this museum located in Reno?

Yes sir and Adam Corolla will be there doing a podcast on his Paul Newman car collection. This will be 3-30 on a Saturday. I will be there. My friend Andre oversees the collection. I will have more on Friday. Andre and I will have dinner and I will find out all the info. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I didnt know the museum was still operating 

Any better pictures the whjite Superbird ?

It is now the National Automobile Museum

It is a much smaller collection of cars than what there was the 70s. Most of the collection was sold after Bill Harrah died, but the museum still has a couple hundred cars from his collection.

Never ever got to Harrah's and was under the impression the whole lot was sold off. Good to hear that there is still a Harrah's museum albeit somewhat reduced still operating in Reno.

I still have a Harrah's booklet with a full list of the original collection obtained from way back. From what I can remember there was more to the collection than just cars.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:16 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

Never ever got to Harrah's and was under the impression the whole lot was sold off. Good to hear that there is still a Harrah's museum albeit somewhat reduced still operating in Reno.

I still have a Harrah's booklet with a full list of the original collection obtained from way back. From what I can remember there was more to the collection than just cars.

My parents took me to the Harrah's collection when I was a kid, and it was building after building filled with cars. It was an all day event to see it all and my parents were not even car people, so that was at a pace of seen it move on, seen it move on.

I do remember that he had a reconnaissance version of the P-38 that had been used for aerial survey after the war. At the time I saw it, it was one of only a handful of P-38s on display. Several more have been recovered and restored since then, but at the time it was a very rare plane to see in person.

The current museum is impressive, and worth a visit but a considerably smaller collection. According to google, Harrah owned around 1500 vehicles, the current museum has 200-300.

The Hayes truck collection was donated to the museum in the 2010s, but unfortunately they have not been able to raise the money to build a companion truck museum to display that collection.   

The collection is not as big when Bill Harrah was alive. But they have a nice collection of cars. I’m going to the Adam Corolla podcast. That will be cool. It’s sold out. Dinnner , drinks etc with Adam and his special guest. They will not say who it is, but Jay Leno will be here the same day to perform Saturday night at the Nugget. We’re thinking it might be Jay. We’re hoping so. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Funky Cyclops is, as I recall, a spoof car spawned by Road & Track magazine, and former GM stylist, Stan Mott.  A gifted cartoonist, Mott was a regular contributor.  He was one of the stylists on the 1958-59 Impala models who gave a big illustrated interview to Motor Trend, and probably lost his job there.  Don't know who built the novelty car, etc.  Wick