Model Cars Magazine Forum

WHATS GOING ON HERE?

I would like a used truck but a decent small truck.  I am going to have too wait a little while and may not be able to.  Medication and groceries is really hurting my family right now.  I get too draw my retirement from my employer at 62.. Lif is really hard right now.  Everything goes up but my pay..

35 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Are we talking about things like electronic ignition? GM went to HEI in 1973 (a good thing in my book) I'm not sure parts stores even stock ignition points anymore...

Ah yes...but the advance curve wasn't computer-controlled.

The early HEI distributors (through '80 or so) still had flyweight-and-springs advance-plates and vacuum-cans just like point-types.

1981 saw the switch to Electronic Spark Timing (EST) controlled by the first generation of GM ECMs, capable of responding to a variety of input conditions from engine sensors. 

No disagreement about HEI being a great leap forward in ignition tech, however.

My older vehicles that retain OEM distributors always get retrofitted with HEI-type guts.

The system has proven to be simple and robust and very reliable over the years.

Too bad that's not the case with a lot of electronic wizardry.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Ah yes...but the advance curve wasn't computer-controlled.

The early HEI distributors (through '80 or so) still had flyweight-and-springs advance-plates and vacuum-cans just like point-types.

1981 saw the switch to Electronic Spark Timing (EST) controlled by the first generation of GM ECMs, capable of responding to a variety of input conditions from engine sensors. 

No disagreement about HEI being a great leap forward in ignition tech, however.

My older vehicles that retain OEM distributors always get retrofitted with HEI-type guts.

The system has proven to be simple and robust and very reliable over the years.

Too bad that's not the case with a lot of electronic wizardry.

No computers in my '85 Trans Am, Bill. The most advanced piece of electronics in the whole car is the cassette deck. 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

No computers in my '85 Trans Am, Bill. The most advanced piece of electronics in the whole car is the cassette deck. 😉

I'm pretty sure it would have the electronic feedback Rochester, which has a little computer. The carb would have an electrical connector on the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

With a stock engine?  Like Bill mentioned GM was using HEI ignition (the large distributor cap with integrated coil), which also had some electronics replacing mechanical points.

2 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I'm pretty sure it would have the electronic feedback Rochester, which has a little computer. The carb would have an electrical connector on the top.

Only the HO had the electronic Quadrajet, mine's the base model. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peteski said:

With a stock engine?  Like Bill mentioned GM was using HEI ignition (the large distributor cap with integrated coil), which also had some electronics replacing mechanical points.

Mine is an HEI ignition but the earlier version with no electronics added. 

BTW, never said it was exactly "stock", now did I ? 😉

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Mine is an HEI ignition but the earlier version with no electronics added.

HEI type of ignition by default indicates an electronic sensor for generating spark signal.  I guess we could argue what consistences "electronics".  To me points and condenser are "non-electronic" circuit.

20 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Pretty sure they all had it as emissions equipment, but I'm not calling you a liar. :D

18 minutes ago, peteski said:

HEI type of ignition by default indicates an electronic sensor for generating spark signal.  I guess we could argue what consistences "electronics".  To me points and condenser are "non-electronic" circuit.

There are no computers attached to my engine.

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

Edited by Can-Con

Since you quoted my reply, that looks like a photo of HEI ignition distributor, with electronic module inside instead of mechanical points.  Since it still has a vacuum advance unit, it is probably an early HEI, but it still has a 4-pin electronic module to generate spark pulses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_energy_ignition

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stories/ignition-electronics-efi/clearing-the-confusion-about-the-hei-distributor-shortcomings/

• Like 1

Looks like we started out with prices for new trucks... stumbled across a website last week for used trucks at U-Haul with very low prices on trucks less that are 2 years old and less than 15,000 miles.  Very, very, very basic trucks with less than normal equipment and options but all that somebody would want/need on a truck for an afternoon to haul bark dust.  Kind of puts a different perspective on pricing when it's thousands of trucks for a very specific purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Since you quoted my reply, that looks like a photo of HEI ignition distributor, with electronic module inside instead of mechanical points.  Since it still has a vacuum advance unit, it is probably an early HEI, but it still has a 4-pin electronic module to generate spark pulses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_energy_ignition

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stories/ignition-electronics-efi/clearing-the-confusion-about-the-hei-distributor-shortcomings/

Yes, it's an HEI distributor. I didn't say it wasn't, I said my car does not have any computers in it.

[copied directly from my posts above ,,,]

"No computers in my '85 Trans Am, Bill. The most advanced piece of electronics in the whole car is the cassette deck. 😉"

"Mine is an HEI ignition but the earlier version with no electronics added."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

There are no computers attached to my engine.

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

Again not calling you a liar, are you the original owner? I'm not familiar with the tag on the carburetor, does it indicate a replacement unit? Most hated the electronic feedback carburetor so it was one of the first things to go.

To whom it may concern: just because a vehicle came with a feedback carb and ECM-controlled spark timing, it doesn't have to stay that way.

Some jurisdictions, like any I'd ever inhabit, allow retrofitting non-compliant induction, exhaust, and ignition systems after a vehicle reaches a certain age.

Both the EFI and ignition ECM in my '89 GMC truck failed. I replaced them with a 60-year-old Rochester 2GC and a stand-alone HEI distributor that uses advance weights and springs.

It runs just fine, thanks...but anybody trying to work on it using a Haynes manual will be SOL.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Again not calling you a liar, are you the original owner? I'm not familiar with the tag on the carburetor, does it indicate a replacement unit? Most hated the electronic feedback carburetor so it was one of the first things to go.

Sean, why on earth are you arguing with me about this. 

NO, I did not buy the car new.

I DID buy this carb and installed it. It's exactly the same as the one I took off except it has all the missing linkages and choke that the old one didn't. 

Also, it's a Canadian car. Canadian LG4 engines didn't get the CCC system. 

It doesn't matter anyway, I said "MY CAR" , not '85 Trans Ams in general or any other cars,, "MY CAR". 

Sorry if you mis-understood my post, I was only talking about MY CAR, which I do know and understand what is under THAT hood. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

To whom it may concern: just because a vehicle came with a feedback carb and ECM-controlled spark timing, it doesn't have to stay that way.

Some jurisdictions, like any I'd ever inhabit, allow retrofitting non-compliant induction, exhaust, and ignition systems after a vehicle reaches a certain age.

Both the EFI and ignition ECM in my '89 GMC truck failed. I replaced them with a 60-year-old Rochester 2GC and a stand-alone HEI distributor that uses advance weights and springs.

It runs just fine, thanks...but anybody trying to work on it using a Haynes manual will be SOL.   :D

Hey Bill, you know you can't receive messages?

I tried PMing you, no go.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:04 AM, CaddyDaddy said:

I graduated college in Spring 1981. With job offer in hand, I went looking for my first new vehicle. Off the lot, I bought a Chevy C-10, short bed,  250c.i. six pin, three on the tree, no power brakes, steering, or air. Crank windows. After a little back and forth, I paid $3100.

Fast forward to today: The new Ram 1500 was announced with the "Tungsten" trim level. Key word here is "Ram 1500", not "2500" or "3500". Starting price..........$89,150! Ram marketing honcho is quoted as saying "I think people want something that can do it all. You talk about price, but there is a value proposition here. That truck is more comfortable, more quiet, and has more power than a luxury sedan. And, it can tow 11,000 pounds."

Far be it for me to tell ya what you can or cannot buy. However, where does this nonsense end? I mean, a $90,000 starting price for a half ton truck? I guess if no one bought them, they wouldn't make them! Tell me what you think...... 

$3,100 for a new bare-bones domestic pickup in 1981. That’s $10,400 in 2024 money.

Scotty sez that Ford is offering a 2024 single cab, bare-bones, plain-jane Ranger pickup for $20,000 US.

Problem: It won’t be available to the North American market! Overseas only.

That tells you plenty.

d4b42ada894eb8f0ef47bb86d76fdfeb.jpg.webp

Edited by blizzy63

11 minutes ago, blizzy63 said:

$3,100 for a new bare-bones domestic pickup in 1981. That’s $10,400 in 2024 money.

Scotty sez that Ford is offering a 2024 single cab, bare-bones, plain-jane Ranger pickup for $20,000 US.

Problem: It won’t be available to the North American market! Overseas only.

That tells you plenty.

Bingo.

They don't even want you to have the option to buy a stripper "work" truck.

Now why do y'all s'pose that is?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy