Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP

7 hours ago, David G. said:

Thank you Jim. You have some impressive building skills yourself. I really enjoyed watching you knock that Plymouth into shape.

David G.

Yeah, thanks, but I kinda lost it when the paint crapped out on me. It still needs the battery  installed and the body glued down. Too many distractions right now, David. I'm out of my "state" at the moment. It happens 🥴. but it's looking up 🙄.

On 4/12/2024 at 2:55 PM, customline said:

Yeah, thanks, but I kinda lost it when the paint crapped out on me. It still needs the battery  installed and the body glued down. Too many distractions right now, David. I'm out of my "state" at the moment. It happens 🥴. but it's looking up 🙄.

That's the nice thing about hobbies Jim, they're not jobs. If you're just not feelin' it, put it back in the box and finish it later.

Or not.

I had one build that took me almost nine years to complete and about a half-dozen I haven't, and may never finish.

It's just a hobby. If you're not enjoying it, what's the point?

Cheers,

David G.

• Like 1

It’s really looking sharp David!😎 Good job on the doors. I need to do one with opening doors soon. I have a ‘55 Chevy that I have installed the magnets in, but other issues sent it back to the shelf. I also have a ‘58 Impala and an Avanti.🤔

6 hours ago, David G. said:

That's the nice thing about hobbies Jim, they're not jobs. If you're just not feelin' it, put it back in the box and finish it later.

Or not.

I had one build that took me almost nine years to complete and about a half-dozen I haven't, and may never finish.

It's just a hobby. If you're not enjoying it, what's the point?

Cheers,

David G.

Yup. Good point, David. The '41 is still sitting there but I've been working on some other projects and have been fortunate with perfect painting weather over the weekend.  I'm getting my messes cleaned up. I appreciate the commisseration, David, it makes all this hobby stuff more enjoyable. 

IMG_5791.jpg.a73d4957cb3eb5238bb6c45495bf6eee.jpg

Hi. Remember me?

17 hours ago, customline said:

Yup. Good point, David. The '41 is still sitting there but I've been working on some other projects and have been fortunate with perfect painting weather over the weekend.  I'm getting my messes cleaned up. I appreciate the commisseration, David, it makes all this hobby stuff more enjoyable. 

IMG_5791.jpg.a73d4957cb3eb5238bb6c45495bf6eee.jpg

Hi. Remember me?

That's a great color Jim! Nice looking paint too.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

There are a few good things about having multiple builds going on at once. One is that if a particular build starts to become an annoyance, there's always another build that you work on. This can give you some valuable off from the one that's troubling you, allowing you to let that one simmer on the back burner of your mind for a while.

So, while I fuss and fume with the frustrations of my Herbie the Love Bug build, I turn my attention once again to the Ford Hardtop.

A quick test fit to check the door alignment. This is also a test of the new BMF I ordered. 

It works well!

57_Ford_32.jpg.2342e90241737fcf525c475cc4cf12c4.jpg

After cleaning up the green overspray and other masking mishaps I decided to spray another coat of Racing White on the front fenders. 

This will patch up a couple of areas that got thinned out during the cleanup and even out any shade differences between the fenders and hood.

57_Ford_33.jpg.5137c555a23953bfbdb5965a17b81f44.jpg

The front fenders came out well enough that after allowing them to cure for several days, I went on with masking for the paint on the rear half. 

There's actually eight days between these last two photos.

57_Ford_34.jpg.834d70ebd532385e58251c1529528a11.jpg

The march continues!

As always, thanks for stopping by for a look and please feel free to post a comment.

David G.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David G. said:

There are a few good things about having multiple builds going on at once. One is that if a particular build starts to become an annoyance, there's always another build that you work on. This can give you some valuable off from the one that's troubling you, allowing you to let that one simmer on the back burner of your mind for a while.

David, I know exactly what you mean. I've even had some cross pollination between my builds. A cast off part from one is just the ticket to solve a problem with another.👍

On 4/16/2024 at 6:21 AM, drodg said:

Looks good.  I am glad I am not building that!!! Lol.

Thanks David, it's actually a pretty straight foreword AMT type of build.

Like I say, "Ain't nuthin' to it but the work to do it."

15 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Looks great, David! You really did a nice job on the paint! Hang in there! 😎👍

Thank you John, the march continues.

15 hours ago, Randy D said:

This one is really great David!!!!

Doors look just right. Nice use of those magnets!

Randy

Thank you Randy, I appreciate that. I'll be using them more often in the future, great little things they are!

14 hours ago, LennyB said:

David, I know exactly what you mean. I've even had some cross pollination between my builds. A cast off part from one is just the ticket to solve a problem with another.👍

That's funny how that happens sometimes Len. Like it was meant to be.

Thanks for all your comments, I do enjoy reading them and responding.

David G.

• Like 1

Hey, David, im glad you mentioned the BMF.  Which variety of BMF did you use and from what vendor? I need to get some and maybe I can catch the same lot you got yours from. The stuff can vary...I'm sure you know 😕.

36 minutes ago, customline said:

Hey, David, im glad you mentioned the BMF.  Which variety of BMF did you use and from what vendor? I need to get some and maybe I can catch the same lot you got yours from. The stuff can vary...I'm sure you know 😕.

Hi Jim,

What I'm using is actual BMF that I ordered directly from the Bare Metal Foil company. It's about the best quality that I've had in quite a while. It's the "New Improved!! Chrome" as the label on the package says.

-D-

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Hi Jim,

What I'm using is actual BMF that I ordered directly from the Bare Metal Foil company. It's about the best quality that I've had in quite a while. It's the "New Improved!! Chrome" as the label on the package says.

-D-

Thanks, David, it's probably best to go to the source. I am on it! 😎

Hello Everybody!

While the paint cures, it's time to focus on some other details.

AMT placed the attachment points on the tops of both bumpers, :(  That, with chunky parting lines and flash means filing, stripping and rechroming.

57_Ford_35.jpg.05640cc72cb5fd8441a0c0ddbe61edc2.jpg

The old chrome stripped and most of the file work done. It's primer time!

57_Ford_36.jpg.09fd10aba689760db7082ba48ea6b6df.jpg

The bumpers are done. Lately I've been using Rustoleum Chrome spray paint. It's easier to use than Alclad and I'm fairly happy with the way it looks.

57_Ford_37.jpg.4e8e8280bb16fb4741a0e733fa73ec1b.jpg

Strangely, I've almost caught up with myself on this build. I'm at the point where I need to take more photos before I can post another update. That means I'm either slacking off or getting close to being finished... probably a little of both.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post any comments you may have.

David G.

David, those bumpers look so much better now. And the kit chrome was way too much as well.  Looks more realistic.  I’ll have to remember this next time I build one of these. 😊

Yup. I agree with Len. I was thinking about doing the same thing to the bumpers for my '58 Belvedere. They are a horror. You would think somebody at the tool design department would say " hey, if we put the gates on the bottom of the bumpers...."  🙄.   But that wouldn't solve the parting line on the ends issue. I usually sand the gate areas with a white stick and hit it with Molotow but the ends are sometimes so bad the only thing to do is what you did, David. It's a big improvement. 

21 hours ago, LennyB said:

David, those bumpers look so much better now. And the kit chrome was way too much as well.  Looks more realistic.  I’ll have to remember this next time I build one of these. 😊

Thank you Len.

I've found that the best way to get good results with this or any chrome paint is to burnish the primer down to where it's almost shiny. Once the primer has cured for a day or two, I use a fairly stiff nylon brush to essentially polish the primer. This also makes it easy to see any seams, file marks or other flaws and correct them before going to paint.

8 hours ago, customline said:

Yup. I agree with Len. I was thinking about doing the same thing to the bumpers for my '58 Belvedere. They are a horror. You would think somebody at the tool design department would say " hey, if we put the gates on the bottom of the bumpers...."  🙄.   But that wouldn't solve the parting line on the ends issue. I usually sand the gate areas with a white stick and hit it with Molotow but the ends are sometimes so bad the only thing to do is what you did, David. It's a big improvement. 

Thanks Jim.

With parting lines, injection points and mold wear, I almost always have to rework the bumpers. Especially on the Fifties era cars. And the older the tooling on the molds, the worse it often is.

The bumpers back in those days were like battering rams! They took up a lot of real estate on those old cars and were a very important part of the overall design and esthetic. It's very important to get them right. Which is why I don't understand the decisions that some of these toolmakers made. I can only surmise that they weren't car guys.

Even if it's a newer tooling I still spray most of the chrome first with some Tamiya Flat Clear followed up with some glossy clear once that cures. It works great on chrome wheels! If I want to do a black wash, I do it once the flat coat cures. Once the wash is the way I like it, on to the clear coat.

Thanks again, for your kind comments,

David G.

2 minutes ago, David G. said:Which is why I don't understand the decisions that some of these toolmakers made. I can only surmise that they weren't car guys.

Reminds me of something my father always complains about. He has some Danbury and Franklin Mint models he’s bought over the years. Their models often come with tons of accessories on them. Sun visor over the windshield, spot lamps, multiple mirrors, etc.  It appears they borrow a car to base their model on and install whatever options that owner (and there are a lot of car owners out there that have to have every conceivable option on their car) has on the car on the model.  Again, clearly not car guys and not fully researching their subject.  So they don’t make factory correct cars. At some point in the future someone is going to look at this model and think this is how they made the real car.  It doesn’t take that much extra effort to get thing's right. 

ok, time to get off my soap box.🧐

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LennyB said:

Reminds me of something my father always complains about. He has some Danbury and Franklin Mint models he’s bought over the years. Their models often come with tons of accessories on them. Sun visor over the windshield, spot lamps, multiple mirrors, etc.  It appears they borrow a car to base their model on and install whatever options that owner (and there are a lot of car owners out there that have to have every conceivable option on their car) has on the car on the model.  Again, clearly not car guys and not fully researching their subject.  So they don’t make factory correct cars. At some point in the future someone is going to look at this model and think this is how they made the real car.  It doesn’t take that much extra effort to get thing's right. 

ok, time to get off my soap box.🧐

I know what you mean! :D 

We used to call cars like that a "J. C. Whitney Special" or more recently "Pep Boys Special" :D 

-D-

9 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

loving this build!!

Thanks Ken!

22 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Progressing nicely...  :)

Thank you Bill.

If it can earn a comment from you, it must be good! Thanks!

David G.

Hello Everybody!

As I mentioned earlier, my production department and photography department have caught up with each other. Which means for this project I have to build then shoot and edit before I can post the next update. The good news is that over the past couple of days, I was able to do just that.

So here's the update.

It took two sessions but the foil is done! Well, all except for the vent windows on the doors. I'll get those when I finish up the doors right before they're permanently mounted.

57_Ford_38.jpg.1efb18a10d941c598d011c08f5f0fd4a.jpg

I have to say that the most recent batch of BMF is their best yet. The batch I received in 2020 was just rubbish. The worst problem among the several that it had was the lack of a good adhesive. I ended up using diluted PVA to mount the foil to the surface. Which as one might imagine resulted in less than optimal foil deployment.

I'm glad to find that Bare Metal Foil Company's quality level is back and better than ever!

57_Ford_39.jpg.e846c524bbc673347a17b68f81b8b091.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 5