Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Packard Speedster Phaeton 734...

9 hours ago, Matt87 said:

Does anyone know what Packard would called these colors the Monogram kit is molded in?

20240226_102948.jpg

Looking at PaintRef.com, I can’t find anything close to those colours. I checked 30, 31 & 32 and there’s nothing close. It’s probably more than likely it was whatever coloured plastic pellets Monogram decided to throw in the hopper.

• Like 3

They were like the Cadillac V16s you could custom order paint colors. Basically its like a lime green and rust brown. But i just wondered if Packard had a name for them.

In fact, I'd say that green looks a lot like what they used in some of the Tom Daniels kits, and I know they made a run of the Rolls Phantom II in that colour, so personally, I wouldn't worry overly much about it.  Go nuts with the paint.  The owners of the 1:1 734s certainly did.

packard-734-speedster-phaeton-side-pebble-beach-concours-delegance-2015-1-160931.jpg.76b0604a9897bf79ebed230e14b73164.jpg

9 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The brown looks like it's the same colour they used for the speedster, which was based on a car that was in the Harrah's collection. The green I suspect was whatever plastic Monogram had handy.

s-l1600.jpg

I actually kind of like the green. Ya the TD Trantuala was molded in that color green.

9 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

In fact, I'd say that green looks a lot like what they used in some of the Tom Daniels kits, and I know they made a run of the Rolls Phantom II in that colour, so personally, I wouldn't worry overly much about it.  Go nuts with the paint.  The owners of the 1:1 734s certainly did.

packard-734-speedster-phaeton-side-pebble-beach-concours-delegance-2015-1-160931.jpg.76b0604a9897bf79ebed230e14b73164.jpg

Im on fence what to paint body or if i should leave it green and paint trim gloss black and also leave the fenders brown. Or if i should paint both something different. Cool thing is they offered almost unlimited paint options in them.

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Im on fence what to paint body or if i should leave it green and paint trim gloss black and also leave the fenders brown. Or if i should paint both something different. Cool thing is they offered almost unlimited paint options in them.

16 hours ago, Deathgoblin said:

Hideous?  :)   The colors, not the car.  I'd love to have the kit.  Boy does it need paint.

I like the brown with maroon i think that will be nice. I do like that shade of green on a lot of 1970s land yachts but it fits those body styles well. Like Olds Deltas and Chevy Impala's. The kit is very nice! High quality. I paid 10$ for it 2 years ago at model car show in Warren MI. Great deal.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:22 AM, Matt87 said:

I decided on Maroon for the body. And im going to polish up the fenders and leave them the brown.

That will look really nice, those colors go well together! If you plan on not painting the fenders, I believe I might would at least clear them with whatever clear you use on the body..... That way the finishes will match! Then just polish them both if you decide to..........

• Like 1