Model Cars Magazine Forum

Better motor for MPC '76 Caprice

Any better engine's from either AMT or MPC to replace the junk that comes in the '76 Caprice kit??  I think that the '70 Monte Carlo has every thing in the correct location,  to match the Caprice, but not sure of this.

If you're referring to a big block Chevrolet engine, a couple to consider would be any of the recent Revell kits with a big block Chevelles or Camaros. The AMT '70 Monte Carlo would be a possibility, but AMT has offered a few kits since then that may be a better choice. AMT had several Corvette kits that had nice big block engines as well. 

Back in my last year of high school (c.1981), my Physics teacher drove a '76 Chevy Caprice 2-door with a 454. As we didn't see too many big block V8s in our area of the continent, I was curious to see a 454 in an everyday Chevy.

I have to say, after having a good look under the hood in Auto class, that I was not impressed with this detuned dinosaur covered over with accessories and smog control devices. The 454 went from muscle car legend in 1970 to gas-guzzling anachronism just six malaise-ridden years later.

The challenge with the MPC kit is not just to add the appropriate engine accessories but to include all the black rubber and plastic under-hood linguini typical of American cars of this period.

The kit:

FSDWBI0922_04.jpg

Reality:

14777111-1976-chevrolet-caprice-classic-thumb.jpg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 1

MPC sure 'phoned it in' with that one (typical of the era, of course). I would say that for anyone intending to fully detail out the Caprice engine bay, the actual engine used wouldn't matter. You could get away with a Lego brick once it's buried under all of those wires, hoses, and vacuum lines.

• Haha 1

The '76 Did not come with a BBC, IIRC. Only a small block.

The "Wrong Engine" issue has been a much talked about problem for some time. Every time the '76 is re-issued, the reviewer usually takes the time to point out that the engine is a carry over from the original 1973-74 version of the kit, and thus incorrect for the '76.

So, I'd say find a late 1970's Small Block and swap away.

19 hours ago, stavanzer said:

The "Wrong Engine" issue has been a much talked about problem for some time. Every time the '76 is re-issued, the reviewer usually takes the time to point out that the engine is a carry over from the original 1973-74 version of the kit, and thus incorrect for the '76.

1976 was the final year for a big block in a Chevrolet automobile. The 1977 Chevrolet full-size was a completely redesigned animal and had a small block 350 as its biggest engine.

The ‘76 full-size was available with a 225 net h.p. Turbo-Jet 454. I’ve only seen one such factory-equipped Caprice in my life (see my post above).

Edited by blizzy63

22 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I believe that you're subjectively correct : IIRC, the Turbo Jet 400 (402) and the 454 weren't available with California emissions. The 350 four barrel was the top engine ; maybe the 400 Turbo Fire (SBC).

4 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I believe that you're subjectively correct : IIRC, the Turbo Jet 400 (402) and the 454 weren't available with California emissions. The 350 four barrel was the top engine ; maybe the 400 Turbo Fire (SBC).

Online brochure shows the 350-2 and the 454 not available in California.

image.png.77cf23efa4b4370d1dcf0248f8e9c9ed.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I had an actual '76 Caprice Classic Landau, it definitely came with a 454 from the factory.

The kit engine is actually a carry over from the '68 Impala kit along with the chassis plate.

9 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

1976 was the final year for a big block in a Chevrolet automobile. The 1977 Chevrolet full-size was a completely redesigned animal and had a small block 350 as its biggest engine.

The ‘76 full-size was available with a 225 net h.p. Turbo-Jet 454. I’ve only seen one such factory-equipped Caprice in my life (see my post above).

I OWNED one.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 1:16 AM, blizzy63 said:

Back in my last year of high school (c.1981), my Physics teacher drove a '76 Chevy Caprice 2-door with a 454. As we didn't see too many big block V8s in our area of the continent, I was curious to see a 454 in an everyday Chevy.

I have to say, after having a good look under the hood in Auto class, that I was not impressed with this detuned dinosaur covered over with accessories and smog control devices. The 454 went from muscle car legend in 1970 to gas-guzzling anachronism just six malaise-ridden years later.

The challenge with the MPC kit is not just to add the appropriate engine accessories but to include all the black rubber and plastic under-hood linguini typical of American cars of this period.

The kit:

FSDWBI0922_04.jpg

Reality:

14777111-1976-chevrolet-caprice-classic-thumb.jpg

I was trying to go all in on my smog era 74 H/O with a 455 Rocket Olds.

74 HO engine 1.JPG

engine color.jpg

• Like 2