Model Cars Magazine Forum

A 41 Plymouth coupe with a twist

alan barton

Hi everyone,

If you have been over at the WIP posts lately you will see there is a whole gaggle of 41 Plymouths getting built.  I finished my version earlier last year but hadn't got around to posting it.

I have had the kit almost since it came out but after having a painting disaster at the time I shelved it.  Forty years later I thought I should give it a second chance!

I wanted to create a cool custom, something a well healed young guy might create back in the fifties to impress the lady folk. As you will see in my WIP post, the trick was to remove and refit the fenders to effectively channel the car but also give it the look of a mild section job. In the fact the car is neither chopped nor sectioned.

The nose of this model was not well-rendered by AMT so it causes concerned modellers a lot of grief.  My solution was to completely change it using the custom grille and rollpan from an AMT 51Chevy as a foundation.

The colour is Tamiya Light Green Pearl followed by three coats of Tamiya Gloss Clear, all from a spray can and rubbed out with Tamiya polishing Compound.and I think it is a beautiful shade to suit the flowing lines of the Plymouth.

Comments and critiques welcome!

Cheers

Alan

20210328_083916.jpg

20210328_085632.jpg

IMG_9783.JPG

IMG_9787.JPG

20210328_084644.jpg

• Like 10

Very cool, Alan. Very cool.  Raising the rear fenders and deleting the 'boards to create the illusion of a section job is a brilliant idea (which I plan to use, thank you.) I think you have set the bar with this one. Super nice paint, too. Congrats!