Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin 64 Chevy Crew Cab Pickup

While waiting on parts for my Suburban, I decided to start..... another project!

Got this gem from Ron at RMR at Sharon PA show, couldn't wait to start messing with it!

So far, I made leaf springs, revamped the diffs from the 84 GMC kit, and chose my wheel package. Progress will probably slow down on my model building, I have a big side job coming up.

Here's where I am ...

IMG_20240120_185230350~2.jpg

IMG_20240304_204208858_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240304_204157064_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240304_201311041_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240304_201302306_HDR.jpg

17096031192056656530762564373433.jpg

Edited by 64SS350
  • Like 6

Nice looking project Karl. Leaf springs look great.👍I’m not a fan of the low profile tires on a 4x4, but that’s just my preference…I have a thing for big tires.🙂 Carry on.

Posted (edited)

I understand, I like both styles. My second choice was a small set of the Dessert Dogs on Centerline wheels. I wanted to keep this one a lower ride height either way. Motor and drive line is next.

Edited by 64SS350
  • Like 1

Thanks! Started making my own a couple years ago while building some gassers for a friend. I have a pretty good set up to make them relatively quick, still working on getting the arch and desired height to coordinate in an easier fashion.

Very nice. My brother found a crew cab in resin, mastered by someone in the club. He made it into a nice ramp truck.

I have been making my own leaf springs for a while now, especially after farting around the lousy ones that come with the MPC modifieds.

Yes, the leaf springs and differentials have always been subpar in most of the kits. Glad to see a few on the 3D market now. After seeing someone else modify/make some diffs, checked my kits to look for decent ones. As pictured, I modified the ones from the 84 GMC kit, I will definitely be casting these and others.

And thank you for looking!!

• 4 weeks later...

Small update, widened the front chassis a bit. Fitting for cross member and motor mounts. Painted the tires and center section of the wheels. Need to order some SMS Hyper chrome to finish them off.

IMG_20240331_201317911.jpg

IMG_20240331_201308825.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks! Originally I tried Tamiya " rubber black", but it is more for racing tires. The current color is Dupli-Color flat black. Oddly, the gold is from MCW and is a '75 Ford color, which in the bottle looks kinda unattractive. I pulled up a pic online, and now I like it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 9:32 PM, 64SS350 said:

Thanks! Originally I tried Tamiya " rubber black", but it is more for racing tires. The current color is Dupli-Color flat black. Oddly, the gold is from MCW and is a '75 Ford color, which in the bottle looks kinda unattractive. I pulled up a pic online, and now I like it!

Try Tamiya TS-63 NATO Black. This is my go-to matte black. Also Mr. Hobby's black primer is quite good. I like the Duplicolor flat black since it doesn't pick up fingerprints, that is DS104.

13 hours ago, 64SS350 said:

Small update, I've been cleaning up the chassis and repainted the block, it needed more contrast. Frame is gun metal metallic, diffs and springs are semi gl black.

IMG_20240420_070549818.jpg

IMG_20240420_070604287_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240420_070710456.jpg

I like the gunmetals for chassis work too, TS-42 light and TS-38 dark. My only gripe with the TS line for chassis work is that they don't stand up to a lot of handling when fitting parts. 

I have been using a couple of gray enamels from Ace Hardware. Those are very durable and dry fast. I have to see if I can find one close to the gunmetals on my next trip there.