Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever since the Moebius '65 and '66 kits came out, there are two projects I've had in my mind. A model of my grandfather's '66 F100 and one of my father's '66 F250 Camper Special. This is.... Kind of a practice run for the second version.

Base kit is the '65 Styleside long bed, with a '66 grille and 3/4 ton running gear from the '68 kit. The front wheel opening are opened up a bit but otherwise what you see is more or less straight from the three kit boxes.

Paint is a random Krylon turquoise that looks to be a good match for the real truck's oxidized Tahitian Turquoise. The real truck was wrecked in 1994 and Dad was never big on photographing his vehicles, so I'm going by memory.

The truck lacks quite a few things that the real truck had. Green running lights up front, a hole over the driver side headlight, a dent in the rear quarter that was shaped suspiciously like the lower peninsula of Michigan. At various points the truck had side boards, a saddle toolbox, running boards. The model also lacks the side compartment, demountable rim front wheels, and tie down cleats the real truck had. And while it did have a mismatched tailgate (a black and white one as seen here, later replaced with an orange one), both replacement tailgates were from sixth generation (Dentside) trucks. And so on.

So no, it's not a replica of my father's old truck. But it's 95% of the way there and I think the actual replica should shape up pretty well.

IMG_20240311_162128.thumb.jpg.9d6a1895f7880c034efa7a7e4efc35b2.jpgIMG_20240311_162140.thumb.jpg.cae1ccc8f8e4308c665ba1ebf2e32140.jpgIMG_20240311_162150.thumb.jpg.3dba51526c9e3de7fa8706a232b76aaa.jpgIMG_20240311_162207.thumb.jpg.0c907bdca3aefd3decc2df456f73c220.jpg

• Like 9

Alway enjoy looking at the way you weather your builds. This one look like a well-used work truck. Different colored tailgates are sort of a sign of a truck that is earning it's living the hard way. 

Really like this one, IMO, very representative of period 3/4 tons that may have been used as a recreational vehicle for a decade or two, then used the following decades for light chores, used, by not abused look. The tu tone is a nice touch and goes well with the design.