Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Polishing Compound

It took a month to get the 3 different tubes of Tamiya polish on Amazon and went to use one last night just to try it out. I squeezed and squeezed and after a while some came out. About a third of the tube was air. Is that a normal with this stuff? I went to my local guy and he can't get it. Said I was the 3rd person this week that asked for it. Something to do with the labeling not meeting US regulations. He searched and said the only place you can get it is on Amazon. Does anyone else have any polishing products they use?

My LHS doesn't carry it. But just got some this afternoon from Amazon ...only took a week.

Came in a two pack: Tamiya Polishing Compound "Fine" and Tamiya Polishing Compound "Finish". 

Tried them out this evening.

Both tubes full and easy to dispense. I noticed the consistency of this Tamiya stuff is very creamy vs. what I'm used to

I've used Novus 1 clean and shine and Novus 2 fine scratch remover.

I recently tried Novus 3 Heavy scratch remover...be careful with that stuff....it is like grainy toothpaste and even when you wipe it off 

it leaves a lot of white residue that has to be washed off under the tap.

Also tried LMC Micro Gloss Polish which is like Novus 1 but leaves a glossier finish.

I think there is no substitute for a well applied paint job in a correct dust free good air temperature. 

Even my best paint jobs needed a wet sand to get rid of the fine orange peel appearance under magnification.

Not sure a gloss over coat will hide that.

Edited by SpeedShift

I've used the zero paints compound and the one you get with the micromesh kits. theres really not much between them. the micromesh stuff is in a tiny bottle so i would say the zero compound is better value as it comes in a decent size tin. I have the tamiya stuff ordered locally but there seems to a shortage of it just now as the tamiya distributor cant get any. you also have the option of using some of the finer grades of faraclear compound if theres a body shop nearby. its pretty much whats in all the model compounds but you get a large tin for the price of 3 hobby compounds and they are the same stuff. the g3 is too course for our stuff but the higher grades are ok

If I remember correctly, every time California changes or adds a rule to certain chemicals, new labeling has to be done or the items tested to see if they meet the new criteria. And since Tamiya is California based here in the U.S., they have to comply and thus the hold ups. 

It happens every few years, from paints to glues, and now Polishing Compound. 

• Thanks 1